Author Topic: too early to give up on young  (Read 4132 times)

Re: too early to give up on young
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Yeah lets get rid of him after one year  ::) Detroit did the same thing with Khris Middleton and it worked out so great for the them.

The kid isnt even out of his teens yet and people are acting like he should be out of the league already. Unbelievable.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
My question with Young is, should he start the season in Maine? IMO he does not really show a natural instinct for the game. I understand he's young in terms of age, and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for him.

If there was ever a player that left college too early it was James Young.

Because the NCAA is a better place for NBA-caliber players to learn how to be NBA players than the NBA, or because we wouldn't have used a draft pick on him if he had stayed?

Both, with the former being the bigger issue.

But nonetheless I expect the Cs to be highly patient (coddling?) with him. I think an interesting comp for him is Gerald Green. Will he be better or worse than Green?

See, I don't understand the NCAA notion at all, particularly if the league is serious about turning the D-League into an actual development league.

However, I think that Young won't be able to rely on the physical gifts that got Green a second NBA chance at the age of 27 or whatever it was.

Fair point. And Green was ahead of where Young is at this stage in his (short career).

I hear you about the D-League. But don't players prefer to perform in meaningful games? In front of large adoring audiences, like the one at Rupp? I think it will always be an issue for the D-league by comparison to college, particularly when a guy comes from a top program.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
People are probably going to laugh and call me a homer for this, but when I saw him in summer league, there were times when he reminded me a little of James Harden.

He legit beefed up to almost Harden size. His shooting form is also very similar to Harden (not just the lefty release either).

But the thing I noticed was his determination to drive and draw fouls. He has a nice little floater from 10 feet.

He needs to figure out how to set up the secondary defender (after he beats his man) and get high quality looks at the rim.

He is fearless. He is a scorer. When his outside shots were not going down, he found a way to still get points. That is a scorer's mentality.

His total performance in the summer league was disappointing, but he has developed and showed flashes of what he might become.

I'm not saying he is the next James Harden.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:04:18 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
People are probably going to laugh and call me a homer for this, but when I saw him in summer league, there were times when he reminded me a little of James Harden.

He legit beefed up to almost Harden size. His shooting form is also very similar to Harden (not just the lefty release either).

But the thing I noticed was his determination to drive and draw fouls. He has a nice little floater from 10 feet.

He needs to figure out how to set up the secondary defender (after he beats his man) and get high quality looks at the rim.

He is fearless. He is a scorer. When his outside shots were not going down, he found a way to still get points. That is a scorer's mentality.

His total performance in the summer league was disappointing, but he has developed and showed flashes of what he might become.

for me he needs to work on the right hand. If he can attack closeouts to both sides he will become much more effective and he will find more airspace to get off shots.

I still have high hopes. It was good to see him getting in that inbetween range in summer league thats a really important weapon for him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i think of young as a rookie and still young one,i believe whatever time he spends with marcus,rozier,crowder, can someday make him a real player not just a shooter
 ,he was not the coaches son or went through the coverage rj did ,i have very high hopes for rj and now young is with the right guys-no wallace the old guy but crowder and marcus
-he either gets it or is gone,these guys will not tolerate half hearted defence-

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
It is way to early to give up on James Young. We should keep him all 4 years of his contract and then decide whether to resign him or not. I think he will be a very good player.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Sorry to be the negative one, but I don't think he's going anywhere - if I were in Danny's place he'd be gone.  Either by trade, or if that's not possible then waived.

Sounds harsh I know but we are trying to win now, and we have limited spots available for raw prospects - there are at least three prospects who have shown more promise than Young despite less experience.

I think the problem with love is the same problem with Jeff Green - lack of drive, lack of motivation, lack of confidence, lack of motor.  I honestly believe that when it comes to personalities, people are who they are - you can't change a person. 

I'm sure Young will develop into a guy who can earn rotation NBA minutes some day, but I think anybody expecting more than E'Twaun Moore out of him is going to end up disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong, but right now I just don't have the patience to find out.  If I had to choose one man to waive out of a four man rotation of Rozier, Hunter, Mickey and Young then I'm sorry...but it would be a no brainer.

All this from just one season LOL.  I wonder how you felt about Avery Bradley's first season. I know I can remember what the general tone around him was then.

I'll put money down that James Young has a better season next year and the tune around here will change pretty quickly.   He's not looked great in the little opportunities he's had but I attribute his rookie season to pure bad lack. (reasons listed below)

-Missed all of Summer League (injury/precautionary)
-Missed almost of pre-season. (hamstring injury) (missed all games except the first)
-Marcus Thorton Contract year. (this is why he was traded to free some mins for Young)
-Behind Bradley/Turner/Thorton/Green in the mins rotation because of depth issue and injury set backs.
-D League Shoulder Injury
-Acquisiton of Jae Crowder who was also in a contract year.
-Acquisition of Thomas who only made the SG depth much worse for Young.

The lack of playing time came from several reasons and none of them were because he's a bad player.

I'll be honest I think James one is just one of our guys who have the most potential on this team, he's not going anywhere.   I have very high hopes for Rozier, Young & Hunter.
I am not sure what you were reading about Avery Bradley because my memory is people thought he might be the best man on man "defender" in the NBA, and had a real sense of moving without the ball.  To earn minutes you need to be able to hold your own defensively.  Young was out of place on defense in the summer league!  He got minutes only because of where he was drafted and what has been invested in him..  I hope he comes around but I have seen nothing that indicates he will stay out of the D League much less earn minutes. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
People generally regarded AB as pretty worthless during his rookie season.

Validated by the fact that AB generally looked pretty worthless during his rookie season. ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Yeah lets get rid of him after one year  ::) Detroit did the same thing with Khris Middleton and it worked out so great for the them.

The kid isnt even out of his teens yet and people are acting like he should be out of the league already. Unbelievable.

Patience isn't a virtue around these parts...but it should be.

If Danny felt he had a diamond in the rough when he drafted Young, then nothing that has happened so far should change that opinion.  As mentioned so accurately in a response earlier in this thread, there have been injuries and other situations that have played roles.  Yes, he needs more confidence...but at 19, sometimes it takes a bit longer.

Hope he gets a chance and he really shines...we're getting a good core of young players, and would love him to be part of that Celtic tradition going forward.

Rak

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

Homer  ;)

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Way too early. There are a lot of players who take a few years to acclimate to the league and become very produtive players. We've barely even seen him play and he's still (even after the draft) the youngest guy on the team. It would be silly to give up on him before we even know what we've got.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008