Author Topic: too early to give up on young  (Read 4131 times)

too early to give up on young
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:24:57 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i was unhappy at drafting players at youngs age unless they were physically and mentally ready for nba,okay we got a potential star shooter at mid first round
as a development project the celts must not let him go,unless they completely misjudged his talent or he has no drive
player development is supposed to be brads strength,so lets see if it works
didn't like youngs defiencies but he is now working on them and the core of amir,crowder,marcus rozier will only benifit youngs future game-perry is enigma,can the young players inspire him and is he physically fit-
young,rozier,marcus,perry111,mickey,hunter-
both kelly ,sully  are now proven nba players just on verge of breaking out
I HATE THE IDEA THAT THE CELTS ARE A NBA TRAINING GROUND FOR OTHER TEAMS

Re: too early to give up on young
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I think I'll probably still be on the James Young hype train when it crashes off a cliff, but I really believe that kid has all the talent and tools to be really successful. The "20 pounds of muscle" thing we heard all summer seemed pretty legit, he was visibly stronger and bigger. That's a key to getting the most out of his development because being able to play the two and the three is the kind of versatility that's becoming almost vital in this league.

I think Young could become a really legit scorer from the wing in the NBA if all goes right for him. I just wonder if we have the patience to wait through another two years of development before he's clearly getting to that point, if it happens at all. But I think part of the reason we didn't find some kind of scoring wing is because of the hope that Young develops into one himself.

I totally understand why some people might already have, but I'm not giving up on him yet.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Young is just that.  He's going to be a good player.  I Newberry thought he'd become the next Kobe but was reasonably optimistic when he was drafted.  Still am.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:03:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Too early to call him a bust in the league,

Gotta admitt he is having a hard tine turning the corner .  But time is running out for his stay in Boston I believe.   His breakout may be with another team

With all the draft picks DA has coming up.....the chances are pretty good a few will show decent talent and can't afford to hang on to slow development players forever.   Just not enough room on roster when many new players are going to be drafted,

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »

Offline MarcusSmaht36

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
It seems like Young's biggest issue going forward is going to be his confidence.  You could see him get noticeably upset when he missed shots last year.  For better or worse, I think he's going to be an incredibly streaky shooter

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Sorry to be the negative one, but I don't think he's going anywhere - if I were in Danny's place he'd be gone.  Either by trade, or if that's not possible then waived.

Sounds harsh I know but we are trying to win now, and we have limited spots available for raw prospects - there are at least three prospects who have shown more promise than Young despite less experience.

I think the problem with love is the same problem with Jeff Green - lack of drive, lack of motivation, lack of confidence, lack of motor.  I honestly believe that when it comes to personalities, people are who they are - you can't change a person. 

I'm sure Young will develop into a guy who can earn rotation NBA minutes some day, but I think anybody expecting more than E'Twaun Moore out of him is going to end up disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong, but right now I just don't have the patience to find out.  If I had to choose one man to waive out of a four man rotation of Rozier, Hunter, Mickey and Young then I'm sorry...but it would be a no brainer.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Clueless is the word that comes to my mind.  A spurt here and there but no real intensity, consistency or focus.  I am not sure what he has shown that gives people hope. 
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
young was not really a great shooter at kentucky and was not the focus of defence like hunter or rozier-he was good in maine but again terrible ,hold your nose defence--its not his fault,we drafted a young project with a sweet stroke and size--thats what we got--

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sorry to be the negative one, but I don't think he's going anywhere - if I were in Danny's place he'd be gone.  Either by trade, or if that's not possible then waived.

Sounds harsh I know but we are trying to win now, and we have limited spots available for raw prospects - there are at least three prospects who have shown more promise than Young despite less experience.

I think the problem with love is the same problem with Jeff Green - lack of drive, lack of motivation, lack of confidence, lack of motor.  I honestly believe that when it comes to personalities, people are who they are - you can't change a person. 

I'm sure Young will develop into a guy who can earn rotation NBA minutes some day, but I think anybody expecting more than E'Twaun Moore out of him is going to end up disappointed.

I hope I'm wrong, but right now I just don't have the patience to find out.  If I had to choose one man to waive out of a four man rotation of Rozier, Hunter, Mickey and Young then I'm sorry...but it would be a no brainer.

All this from just one season LOL.  I wonder how you felt about Avery Bradley's first season. I know I can remember what the general tone around him was then.

I'll put money down that James Young has a better season next year and the tune around here will change pretty quickly.   He's not looked great in the little opportunities he's had but I attribute his rookie season to pure bad lack. (reasons listed below)

-Missed all of Summer League (injury/precautionary)
-Missed almost of pre-season. (hamstring injury) (missed all games except the first)
-Marcus Thorton Contract year. (this is why he was traded to free some mins for Young)
-Behind Bradley/Turner/Thorton/Green in the mins rotation because of depth issue and injury set backs.
-D League Shoulder Injury
-Acquisiton of Jae Crowder who was also in a contract year.
-Acquisition of Thomas who only made the SG depth much worse for Young.

The lack of playing time came from several reasons and none of them were because he's a bad player.

I'll be honest I think James one is just one of our guys who have the most potential on this team, he's not going anywhere.   I have very high hopes for Rozier, Young & Hunter.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:19:35 AM by GzUP617 »

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:43 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
My question with Young is, should he start the season in Maine? IMO he does not really show a natural instinct for the game. I understand he's young in terms of age, and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for him.

If there was ever a player that left college too early it was James Young.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That's not the debate, though.  We have enough roster spots for all 4.  The decision to make would be Young, PJIII, or Holmes, out of which Young is a no brainer (PJIII is a bigger version of Young's worst case scenario, and Holmes hasn't proved any more than Young but has a lower cieling)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
youngs 9 rebounds in his last summer league game was a positive,he said he added three inches to vertical--as i posted last year i was a dwight powell fan but now i'm going to root for perry 111-
with all those draft picks coming celts should take risks on athletic high ceiling guys -i was a justin anderson fan-
no place on celts for holmes and perry has training camp to impress,hope he does

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 10:06:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
My question with Young is, should he start the season in Maine? IMO he does not really show a natural instinct for the game. I understand he's young in terms of age, and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for him.

Because the NCAA is a better place for NBA-caliber players to learn how to be NBA players than the NBA, or because we wouldn't have used a draft pick on him if he had stayed?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:15:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Because the NCAA is a better place for NBA-caliber players to learn how to be NBA players than the NBA, or because we wouldn't have used a draft pick on him if he had stayed?

Both, with the former being the bigger issue.

But nonetheless I expect the Cs to be highly patient (coddling?) with him. I think an interesting comp for him is Gerald Green. Will he be better or worse than Green?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Both, with the former being the bigger issue.

But nonetheless I expect the Cs to be highly patient (coddling?) with him. I think an interesting comp for him is Gerald Green. Will he be better or worse than Green?

See, I don't understand the NCAA notion at all, particularly if the league is serious about turning the D-League into an actual development league.

However, I think that Young won't be able to rely on the physical gifts that got Green a second NBA chance at the age of 27 or whatever it was.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.