Author Topic: Situational Awareness Series: Shooting Shooting Shooting  (Read 1239 times)

Situational Awareness Series: Shooting Shooting Shooting
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:45 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Preface: Since one of the most common topics on this forum is centered around the compilation of the best Celtics lineup given the current constructed roster, I thought it'd be fun to discuss this topic in the context of situations that CBS will have to face during every game. So begins the Situational Awareness Series.. There will be an in-game situation for every post. Please post your best 5 players to put on the floor, and of course, the logic behind it.

Situation 2: Let's make it rain! Cs can't score a lick because of an opposing defense that has no respect for the current lineup's shooting. They go over every screen, daring the ballhandler to put it up or make a decision. Their weakside guards are collapsing the paint at every drive and no one's making the open 3. CBS would like some shooting on the floor and is willing to sacrifice some defense, but would still need enough size down low to grab offensive and defensive boards.

My 5:
Isaiah Thomas - great at penetrating and kicking to open shooters, as well as a average shooter from deep himself
Avery Bradley - perhaps the smallest guard combo, but great at using screens and getting open with his much improved jumper.
RJ Hunter - decent ballhandler, undersized to be a 3-guard, but good shooter
David Lee - Not the greatest shooter, but has enough handle and IQ to dish to the open man when the defense collapses on him. Also able to grab those boards
Jared Sullinger - hard to choose between him and Olynyk as a shooting threat, but he's got more willingness to shoot and a significantly better rebounder.

Your thoughts?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Situational Awareness Series: Shooting Shooting Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:58:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Jonas Jerebko
Amir Johnson
Kelly Olynyk

Every one of those guys can hit the three with consistency, and the Bradley/Jerebko/Johnson trio provides defensive versatility. 

Johnson, Olynyk and Jerebko aren't great rebounders, but they are good enough - all three have averaged up around 8.0 - 8.5 rebounds per 36 (and around 3 offensive rebounds Per 36) for their careers.

I also think this team could be really dangerous in transition - every guy on that roster runs the floor well.

I am genuinely afraid of the thought of Lee and Sully being on the court at the same time - I  can see myself having this reoccuring nightmare where I get stuck in a ground-hog day of watching Nerlens Noel putting up 20 point games against over and over and over again haha

Also I would willingly shoot myself in the groin if it would mean I'd never have to see Sully chuck up another horribly ill-advised three.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:13:39 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Thomas
Hunter
Jerebko
Sully
Amir

Very solid shooting everywhere except from the 4, but Sully can rebound better than Olynyk while providing better range than Lee.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:41:04 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Thomas
Hunter
Young
JJ
KO

It might be the worst defensive lineup we have, but every single one of those players is an above average three point shooter, with KO and IT being exceptionally good.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:44:51 AM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Thomas - you need penetration plus a good shooter
Bradley - not that bad plus he helps defensively
Hunter - Noone better for the open 3
Jerebko - Very good shooter plus very good offensive rebounder plus good defender (I warn you that I think he does so many things well that for me he'll be on the floor in most situations)
Amir - Competent shooter, better rebounder and defender than Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I guess I'm confused regarding the popular choice of Amir Johnson. Didn't he average like .5 three-pointers a game? Then again, i don't watch enough of Toronto games outside of playing against Boston..

Edit: The only reason I chose David over Amir is his ability to pass to the open shooters
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:01:21 AM by coffee425 »
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:46 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I guess I'm confused regarding the popular choice of Amir Johnson. Didn't he average like .5 three-pointers a game? Then again, i don't watch enough of Toronto games outside of playing against Boston..

Edit: The only reason I chose David over Amir is his ability to pass to the open shooters

He doesn't take a lot of three point attempts, but he's shot 34% from three for his career and has shot over 38% in three of his past four seasons.

At the end of the day you really only NEED one of your bigs to be a major three point threat.  If the other also has the ability to hit the open three, it makes you all the more dangrous.

Johnson is also a pretty good passer, and his mid-range jumper is on par with Lee's - both too similar percentages of their FG from midrange, and both shot similar percentages on those attempts.

Both shot a crazy high percentage within 3 feet.

Johnson basically does most of what Lee does, except he's not quite as good a rebounder, and he's not as good a post scorer.  He makes up for that however with good defense, decent rim protection and three point range.