Author Topic: When is the last day for the roster to be set at 15?  (Read 2149 times)

When is the last day for the roster to be set at 15?
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:30:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Danny is either being real patient or waiting for magic to happen.  While other GMs are cleaning out their closets, Danny keeps stuffing his.  While it looks messy to others, It probably looks fine and dandy for Danny.

Still it must be nerve wrecking for some of the players on the roster right now. It's like playing musical chairs.  There are alot of chairs but one will have to sit out/booted off the team.  I wonder what kind of craziness CBS is going through these days. Probably has a big white drawing board , making up a game, scenarios and planning which combination to put out. 

Personally I would really like the Celts to sign Holmes (who looks like a very good fit under CBS (tough/physical versatile defender, that can make the open 3) before someone else scoops him up, trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.   Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   AB for a 1st.    Provide opportunities/accelerate growth for Rozier, Hunter, Young

If Danny is not interested in the above transactions, when is the last day he has, to be forced to trim the roster to 15?

Re: When is the last day for the roster to be set at 15?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Danny is either being real patient or waiting for magic to happen.  While other GMs are cleaning out their closets, Danny keeps stuffing his.  While it looks messy to others, It probably looks fine and dandy for Danny.

Still it must be nerve wrecking for some of the players on the roster right now. It's like playing musical chairs.  There are alot of chairs but one will have to sit out/booted off the team.  I wonder what kind of craziness CBS is going through these days. Probably has a big white drawing board , making up a game, scenarios and planning which combination to put out. 

Personally I would really like the Celts to sign Holmes (who looks like a very good fit under CBS (tough/physical versatile defender, that can make the open 3) before someone else scoops him up, trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.   Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   AB for a 1st.    Provide opportunities/accelerate growth for Rozier, Hunter, Young

If Danny is not interested in the above transactions, when is the last day he has, to be forced to trim the roster to 15?

I agree that we should try and grab Holmes- even if we sign him and send him to Europe for one season.
I don't think Danny wants to get ride of Sullinger right now. I think that even though he's been disappointing, he's been our best player for much of the past 2 seasons and if he can get his fitness issues into shape and mature  a bit, he could be a key piece for us.
I just think his value is so low right now because he's expiring and his weight issues are in the media, that Danny would rather wait to see what he can do this year.
But yeah, we are so deep that it's hard to pick who's going to be trade or cut.
I actually think Evan Turner is the most likely to be traded, unless his agent and him have already verbally agreed to a team friendly extension with us at the end of this season.

I think Turner and Zeller are the most likely to go.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:27 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Last season it was October 27th I think. The day before the season began.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.   Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   AB for a 1st.   

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It varies, but it's always at the end of October / early November. Don't know when it'll be this particular year, but the exact day is of no importance right now. Just know it's around then.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:30:14 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Last year it was 5PM the day before the season started. The 2015-16 regular season will begin on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.

I like Zeller or Sullinger more than I like Holmes and if you are talking draft picks, they would have to be very good picks.  I don't think Zeller or Sullinger are going out unless part of a large trade.  I don't see them being sold off for picks.

Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   

I agree with trading Turner but why not Lee or Thomas too?  Are any of these guys part of the "future"?  Easier said than done though.

AB for a 1st.

I like Avery Bradley.  He is better value than all but the highest picks.  Anyone is fair game if we start talking trades for Cousins or someone like that but I don't think we should sell off Bradley.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:17:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.   Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   AB for a 1st.   

Lol tp
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I wonder how much interest teams around the league have in many of the players on our roster.  Specifically, I wonder which teams/how many teams are interested in Kelly Olynyk or Jared Sullinger.  Kelly seems to me to be the type of role player (stretch 4) that a lot of teams like to have as a 5th starter, or as a big coming off the bench, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Celtics got an interesting offer or two for his services over the next few months.  On the flip side, I tend to agree with those who say Sullinger's value is pretty low right now to the point where it won't make sense dealing him right now unless your hand is forced (I think if he comes to camp out of shape he gets salary dumped or cut outright).

To me, the player most likely to be traded has less to do with which players the Celtics prefer to keep, but instead which players have enough interest across the league to get a player of value back in return.

Some teams that look to me like possible trading partners to thin the roster down a bit might be:
- Phoenix with Alex Len as the targeted chip coming back
- OKC gets Avery Bradley, C's get Steven Adams (these two feel like perfect trading partners to me, but it also seems like a Bradley to OKC deal would be more of a mid-season deal than a before the season deal).

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like Zeller or Sullinger more than I like Holmes and if you are talking draft picks, they would have to be very good picks.  I don't think Zeller or Sullinger are going out unless part of a large trade.  I don't see them being sold off for picks.

The fact that you think we could trade these guys for "good pick" undercuts any credibility.  I live outside of Boston and in anothe state, no one is clamouring for these guys.   MIN liked KO but now they have Towns.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
trade Zeller and Sully as a package or get a 1st for each player.

Trade Turner for 2 2nds or something.   

I agree with trading Turner but why not Lee or Thomas too?  Are any of these guys part of the "future"?  Easier said than done though.

AB for a 1st.

I like Avery Bradley.  He is better value than all but the highest picks.  Anyone is fair game if we start talking trades for Cousins or someone like that but I don't think we should sell off Bradley.

Agreed.

I would only consider a players for picks trade if someone offered us a  top-3/5 pick (depending on the draft class): this could be a real game changer. Otherwise we ll be giving,say, ET to draft a 20 year old (less experienced and raw) player of the skills as ET.

Moreover, historically (as far as I can remember) no team ever agreed to give up a top-3 (or even 5) pick for a group of  mediocre players.

I really do not think a trade of players for (even more) picks will take us anywhere (except from the wonderful place Philly is in- with Philly having a two year head start).

Having said this, the only scenario under which a  players for picks trade could take place  is this: imagine despite our efforts our team is not going well and by the time of the all star break it is clear we are not making the playoffs (very unlikely IMO but possible).

I would then trade Amir/Lee to contenders for whatever they are willing to give us. But again, only case we get in this scenario is if two-three of our key players all get seriously injured - very, very unlikely.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Day before season starts