Author Topic: A few optimistic predictions  (Read 11477 times)

Re: A few optimistic predictions
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 07:23:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

PhoSita is given leave to trek in Nepal to discover his true identity.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

So basically you'd trade them for taking a chance to pick better players + giving more playing time to young talents that might have a higher ceiling.

IMO it looks like the plan for next year is to make it to the playoffs, so I do not see such a trade happening at least not this season.

You may be right, but I think the team could actually be better without Bradley and Turner, especially if the return includes a proper wing who can cover 2s and 3s.

I think right now the team is just overloaded with middle of the road players, so cutting down the number of guys Stevens has to cram into the rotation could actually improve the team by creating more consistent lineup combinations.

I don't think Bradley and Turner really help to advance the way the team wants to play, either, since they're both mid-range heavy on offense and create issues defensively (Bradley because he's really only suited to cover point guards and Turner because he stinks defensively).

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

So basically you'd trade them for taking a chance to pick better players + giving more playing time to young talents that might have a higher ceiling.

IMO it looks like the plan for next year is to make it to the playoffs, so I do not see such a trade happening at least not this season.

You may be right, but I think the team could actually be better without Bradley and Turner, especially if the return includes a proper wing who can cover 2s and 3s.

I think right now the team is just overloaded with middle of the road players, so cutting down the number of guys Stevens has to cram into the rotation could actually improve the team by creating more consistent lineup combinations.

I don't think Bradley and Turner really help to advance the way the team wants to play, either, since they're both mid-range heavy on offense and create issues defensively (Bradley because he's really only suited to cover point guards and Turner because he stinks defensively).

If Ainge could trade Bradley or Turner for a wing that has defensive versatility I would also be in favor.

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

The comment I was answering to was
The Celts trade Bradley and Turner and get a first round pick, an expiring, and a decent rookie contract player in return.

If the return includes what you now say (bolded part), it would be a wholly different story.

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 12:03:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
After months of secret negotiations LarBrd33 finally agrees to wave his no trade clause and heads of to Libertyballers, where he gets to talk about 2 of the top 6 big man prospects full time, and eagerly awaits the 3rd to return in 2016/17, as part of the trade to match salaries Eddie is sent with him, Eddie fails to report and retires immediately.
On his emotional return to Celticsblog LarBrd33 is given a boxed set of Tom Hanks best work including the timeless classic Sleepless in Seattle.

Noted Locker Room lawyer D.o.s fails to reach a buyout and is placed on waivers, no other forum picks up his option, D.o.s decides to change career paths and become President of the National Debate Society.

Celtics4ever is given a framed Jersey personally signed by Sullinger, unfortunately he refuses to pay the shipping costs to Ohio due to the weight of the package.

Beat LA is presented with a new set of 24 emoji symbols to play with.

KG Living Legend is traded to Las Vegas , while waiting for the team to finally arrive he visits many strip joints to satisfy his poll fetish.

greece666 receives the complete box set of Seinfeld of course .

Celtics to win 46 games and make the second round.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
After months of secret negotiations LarBrd33 finally agrees to wave his no trade clause and heads of to Libertyballers, where he gets to talk about 2 of the top 6 big man prospects full time, and eagerly awaits the 3rd to return in 2016/17, as part of the trade to match salaries Eddie is sent with him, Eddie fails to report and retires immediately.
On his emotional return to Celticsblog LarBrd33 is given a boxed set of Tom Hanks best work including the timeless classic Sleepless in Seattle.

Noted Locker Room lawyer D.o.s fails to reach a buyout and is placed on waivers, no other forum picks up his option, D.o.s decides to change career paths and become President of the National Debate Society.

Celtics4ever is given a framed Jersey personally signed by Sullinger, unfortunately he refuses to pay the shipping costs to Ohio due to the weight of the package.

KG Living Legend is traded to Las Vegas , while waiting for the team to finally arrive he visits many strip joints to satisfy his poll fetish.

meh, I was hoping to receive something I do not already have in multiple copies.

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Pure gold! TP!

Btw, is D.o.s. really a lawyer? Seems like there are several lawyers on this blog.

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Definitely not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 12:31:09 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Definitely not.

Ah, too bad. From your style of argumentation and diction, it wouldn't have suprised me if you were a lawyer.

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Definitely not.

Ah, too bad. From your style of argumentation and diction, it wouldn't have suprised me if you were a lawyer.

I thought it was a well known CB secret that I was Gary Tanguay?  ;)

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:58 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Jpotter33 gets Steve Javie assigned to him each game to talk him through why the referees made the calls that they did.
Saltlover and mmmmm do the auditing of the Celticsblog books, to no ones surprise they find innumerable errors
Slamtheking and celticsclay represent the Celtics at the draft lottery carefully watching over the Nets pick
CoachBo,Scitan and Koz from Bulgaria receive a free subscriptiin to use Comedy Central for 6 months.Records reveal that neither of these 3 gentleman watched a minute.
Who get nominated for a Nobel prize for writing.
Crimson_Stallion receives the 984 page book titled Sometimes Less Equals More.

Celtics win 46 games and make the second round
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:35:13 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Who get nominated for a Nobel prize for writing.

Motion seconded.
Been some time since the Nobel of Literature went to someone who actually deserves it.

Modiano, Munro, Mo Yan... they can't tell the difference between a T-34 and a Philly tank.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:05:04 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 03:26:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Maybe the entire Atlantic Divisiom misses the playoffs. May not be positive, but its bold.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 03:48:09 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
We trade Avery Bradley, Isaiah Thomas, Kelly Olynyk for Demar Derozan, also Evan Turner somehow nets us Mo Harkless.

We finish the year with this  rotation:

Marcus Smart - Terry Rozier
Demar Derozan - RJ Hunter - Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder - James Young - Perry Jones
David Lee - Jared Sullinger - Jonas Jerebko
Amir Johnson - Tyler Zeller - Jordan Mickey

Get the 6th seed, win a first round series

Get Brooklyn top 5 pick and Dallas 10th pick

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
I just personally don't think we are doomed for basketball purgatory, my Dad does though.

My Dad does too!  He says it partly to get a rise out of me (and especially my brothers), I know, but every time I mention the Celtics he proclaims that they're going to "suck" for the next ten years and there's no point paying too much attention to them for the foreseeable future.

While I understand that many fans chafe at the idea that missing the playoffs would have been a good thing, and don't like any suggestion that the team should have preferred losing over winning, I think it's unfair -- and accomplishes nothing but sparking the same old arguments -- to label people who feel that way as "tankers."   It's a pretty obvious ad hominem that doesn't engage at all with the idea being put forth. 

It's akin to saying that anybody who questions Israel's treatment of Palestinians is an Anti-Semite (not to open up a whole can of worms here; it's an example).

I'm not sure how to respond to this i personally think your example is pretty over the top.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:44:25 AM by MSceltic »