Author Topic: A few optimistic predictions  (Read 11485 times)

Re: A few optimistic predictions
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Optimistic Predictions for our players:

1) Smart continues his development, and with more experience and a larger, more defined role on the team he puts up 14+ pts,5 asts, 4 rebs, 2 stls a game shooting .450% from the floor and .370% from three point range.

2) One of Sully or KO has a breakout year (my guess Sully), and with increased minutes he puts up somewhere around 18 and 10 a game with a .350% + 3PFG%.

3) IT keeps doing IT things: putting up 18 pts, 6 assts a game and wins the Sixth Man of the Year award that he should've won last year

4) Bradley takes a step back offensively due to a smaller role, but brings back his All-Defensive team defense and puts up 11 pts, 3 rebs, 2 asts a game shooting .470% from the field and over .400% from the three.

5) Lee and Amir both have solid years, with Lee averaging something like 14 and 7 and Amir averaging 10 pts, 6 rebs, and 1.5 blks a game playing excellent interior defense

6) Young spends almost the whole year in Maine being joined regularly by Rozier and Hunter.

7) JJ and Crowder both have solid years and basically split time at the 3.

8 ) We get the 7th seed again after dealing with some minor injuries during the middle of the season, but we're fully healthy by playoffs time.

9) (CLE, MIA, ATL, MIL, CHI, WAS, BOS, IND) We play Miami in the first round, and they struggle mightily with our perimeter defense, young legs, and spreading of the floor. We take them in game 6 at Boston after a mucky, physical series where we simply out-work and out-hustle them. At least three skirmishes occur during the series.

10) We then play Atlanta in the 2nd round after they beat Washington in 6. Without a strong perimeter defense, IT goes off in the series and averages 29 pts and 8 asts a game, but we ultimately lose in game 7 at Atlanta when Teague flips one in at the buzzer.

11) Brooklyn lucks out for us and gets a top 3 pick in the draft, and we use it to trade to Sacramento after a disastrous season when DMC demands a trade.

12) We then convince KD to sign for the max with us, and we roll into the next season with a starting lineup of Smart, Bradley, KD, Sully, and DMC.

I think I'd be okay with that scenario.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
1. Smart makes rookie/sophomore game
2. One of rozier, hunter, and mickey will be all-rookie 2nd team
3. We meet someone else besides Cavs in round 1 of playoffs
4. IT gets a vote for an all NBA team (Tommy Heinson)
5. We are fun to watch, there are less tanking loyalists on the board this year
if this were the only thing to come true, I'd consider it a HUGELY successful season!!

There are actually relatively few people advocating for proper tanking around here these days, so maybe all you need to be happy is just open your eyes.

Of course, if you define "tanking loyalist" as anybody who suggests that making the playoffs could be a bad thing, then you're probably going to be disappointed.
hmm, maybe I should add in "less lecturing by other posters on how to be happy" as well.

there are fewer aggressive pro-tankers on the board but the ones left are still far too vocal and aggressive in their commentary for my liking.  there's a difference between being anti-playoffs and advocating for making the franchise as bad as possible to improve the draft odds.

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

there are fewer aggressive pro-tankers on the board but the ones left are still far too vocal and aggressive in their commentary for my liking.  there's a difference between being anti-playoffs and advocating for making the franchise as bad as possible to improve the draft odds.

Well, I could throw in "people on the board become far less sensitive to the expression of viewpoints that don't conform to their ideal of fandom" but I mean, come on, we're living in the real world.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
How to be the "right kind" of Celtics fan, by Slamtheking.

I look forward to reading it. I am sure it will be very enlightening.

Oh, wait.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 02:22:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Well, I could throw in "people on the board become far less sensitive to the expression of viewpoints that don't conform to their ideal of fandom" but I mean, come on, we're living in the real world.
@ Phosita -- you're the one that brought up how to be happy "maybe all you need to be happy is just open your eyes."  if you care to critique other people in that manner, don't be surprised when it comes back around on you.

@DOS  -- I've never said who's a 'right kind' of fan because that's a load of crap and I'm certainly not saying it here.  there's a difference between labeling 'right kind', 'real fan', true fan', etc...  and voicing dislike for a particular viewpoint which all I've done here. 

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just being silly.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Just being silly.
now that's more like the DOS I've come to appreciate here. 

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

- The Celts trade Bradley and Turner and get a first round pick, an expiring, and a decent rookie contract player in return.

- Marcus Smart finishes the season as the Celts' starting shooting guard of the future with averages in excess of 10 points, 3 reb, 3 ast, 1.5 steals, and 40/33/70.  He receives votes for NBA All-Defense.

- Danny is able to consolidate some of the picks and one of the bajillion power forwards on the roster in order to acquire a player who might become a long term fixture in the starting lineup.

- The Nets and Mavericks picks both end up in the lottery, one of them in the top 10, and the Celts have the rights to both.

- Jae Crowder starts at the 3 for most of the season and posts a career best shooting percentage from three point land and at least one three point make per game.

- The Celts finish in the top 15 in offensive rating, defensive rating, and three point percentage.  They finish in the top 5 in three point attempts per game.

- The Celts win a playoff game.

- Terry Rozier works his way into the rotation and shows the potential to be a quality NBA player.  In limited minutes, he and Smart terrorize opponents on defense and show some chemistry offensively.

I agree with the list as a set of realistic expectations (make playoff wins 2 tho :P )

apart from the bolded part. I might be missing something here, but I think it is unlikely we trade Bradley and even if we do trade him and ET, why would we want a pick and a rookie (= two more young players)?

Sounds Hinkiesk to me.

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

apart from the bolded part. I might be missing something here, but I think it is unlikely we trade Bradley and even if we do trade him and ET, why would we want a pick and a rookie (= two more young players)?

Sounds Hinkiesk to me.

It's mostly a hope of mine.  I really would like to see Bradley and Turner dumped and I'd be thrilled to get any future value in return.

Look, Bradley's not a bad player.  Turner is an OK-ish player.  Neither of them is particularly good.  They are poor starting options and I don't think they're a great fit coming off the bench here either.

Neither of them should have a future on this team.  I want to see them get jettisoned to create more playing time for guys who definitely have a future here (Smart, Crowder) and for those who might have a future here (Rozier, Hunter, Young).
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

@ Phosita -- you're the one that brought up how to be happy "maybe all you need to be happy is just open your eyes."  if you care to critique other people in that manner, don't be surprised when it comes back around on you.

I really don't know what you mean, but I'm sorry if I offended you.

Your comment made it sound like the board is just crawling with die-hard tankers proclaiming that the team should go full-bore Hinkie mode, and I think the number of people who actually advocate for that position is pretty close to zero.

Two years ago, it was a different story, but I think most of the complaining about "tankers" these days is projection and willfully poor reading comprehension more than anything else.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:33 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
1. Smart makes rookie/sophomore game
2. One of rozier, hunter, and mickey will be all-rookie 2nd team
3. We meet someone else besides Cavs in round 1 of playoffs
4. IT gets a vote for an all NBA team (Tommy Heinson)
5. We are fun to watch, there are less tanking loyalists on the board this year
if this were the only thing to come true, I'd consider it a HUGELY successful season!!

There are actually relatively few people advocating for proper tanking around here these days, so maybe all you need to be happy is just open your eyes.

Of course, if you define "tanking loyalist" as anybody who suggests that making the playoffs could be a bad thing, then you're probably going to be disappointed.

I guess I am defining "tanking loyalist" as those who came out of the woodworks after we couldn't trade up in the draft. Every other post was one saying "I told you we shouldn't have been this good this year." Im by no means saying I'm the right kind of Celtic's fan and others are not. I just personally don't think we are doomed for basketball purgatory, my Dad does though.

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
(1) We trade Rozier, James Young, and the recently extended Jae Crowder (who plays extremely well next season) to New Orleans for Eric Gordon (expiring) and the Cav's pick back.

(2) Deron Williams disappears into the Mavericks' point guard Bermuda Triangle, and Dirk is a little older. All the beautiful women in Dallas occupy Chandler Parsons more than basketball, and the Celtics get a decent pick from the Mavs.

(3). The Nets end up with a terrible record, and we get a top five pick from them.

(4). Perry Jones shows what he can do, with Jae Crowder out of the way, and he starts playing defence, and really cutting to the basket consistently.

(5). Zeller appears on sports center highlights twice, blocking shots and looking as pumped up as he can look.

(6). Smart starts to let the game come to him a little bit more. He breathes before he shoots. He stops playing hero ball.

(7) Despite his Swedishness, Jerebko finds a way to contribute somewhat when he plays, and gets himself the vets minimum in Denver in 2016 for another year in the league.

(8) Next off-season, someone pays Evan Turner $8.5/M per for three years based on what he is able to show next year (12 pts, 2 assists, a steal and 4 rebounds).

(9). Sullinger averages 18 and 10, and everyone is like "whoa;" the offence can move through him, and he shows he can grow up in a big hurry and lead the team; CSN does a segment on "the Sullinger hockey assist" to demonstrate how vital his interior passing is to Boston's three point shooting.

(10). Whether or not David Lee plays, he is cool about it. Stevens lets him play a lot against NYK, and he almost gets a triple double in a losing effort.

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I just personally don't think we are doomed for basketball purgatory, my Dad does though.

My Dad does too!  He says it partly to get a rise out of me (and especially my brothers), I know, but every time I mention the Celtics he proclaims that they're going to "suck" for the next ten years and there's no point paying too much attention to them for the foreseeable future.

While I understand that many fans chafe at the idea that missing the playoffs would have been a good thing, and don't like any suggestion that the team should have preferred losing over winning, I think it's unfair -- and accomplishes nothing but sparking the same old arguments -- to label people who feel that way as "tankers."   It's a pretty obvious ad hominem that doesn't engage at all with the idea being put forth. 

It's akin to saying that anybody who questions Israel's treatment of Palestinians is an Anti-Semite (not to open up a whole can of worms here; it's an example).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 06:56:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Sounds Hinkiesk to me.

It's mostly a hope of mine.  I really would like to see Bradley and Turner dumped and I'd be thrilled to get any future value in return.

Look, Bradley's not a bad player.  Turner is an OK-ish player.  Neither of them is particularly good.  They are poor starting options and I don't think they're a great fit coming off the bench here either.

Neither of them should have a future on this team.  I want to see them get jettisoned to create more playing time for guys who definitely have a future here (Smart, Crowder) and for those who might have a future here (Rozier, Hunter, Young).

Thanks for clarifying this.

So basically you'd trade them for taking a chance to pick better players + giving more playing time to young talents that might have a higher ceiling.

IMO it looks like the plan for next year is to make it to the playoffs, so I do not see such a trade happening at least not this season.

And it's not just about my personal 'prediction' about what our goal is.

I think trying to get in the playoffs gives us a sense of direction. It also helps young talents to develop character.

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
After months of secret negotiations LarBrd33 finally agrees to wave his no trade clause and heads off to Libertyballers, where he gets to talk about 2 of the top 6 big man prospects full time, and eagerly awaits the 3rd to return in 2016/17, as part of the trade to match salaries Eddie is sent with him, Eddie fails to report and retires immediately.
On his emotional return to Celticsblog LarBrd33 is given a boxed set of Tom Hanks best work including the timeless classic Sleepless in Seattle.

Noted Locker Room lawyer D.o.s fails to reach a buyout and is placed on waivers, no other forum picks up his option, D.o.s decides to change career paths and become President of the National Debate Society.

PhoSita is given leave to trek in Nepal to discover his true identity.

Celtics4ever is given a framed Jersey personally signed by Sullinger, unfortunately he refuses to pay the shipping costs to Ohio due to the weight of the package.

Beat LA is presented with a new set of 24 emoji symbols to play with.

KG Living Legend is traded to Las Vegas , while waiting for the team to finally arrive he visits many strip joints to satisfy his poll fetish.

greece666 receives the complete box set of Seinfeld of course .

Celtics to win 46 games and make the second round.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:24:54 AM by GC003332 »