Author Topic: Amir Johnson found it hard to find an available jersey number with the Celtics  (Read 11551 times)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
good -- first introduction into the legacy of talented players who've worn the Celtics uniform

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I always wondered why players don't select numbers 50-100 more often anyways. Should be original.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't know. I think he was being a little over dramatic, particularly about #5. KG only played 6 seasons with the C's and is currently playing with a Celtic opponent. If he wanted #5, he should have taken it. The C's can worry about whether they retire it down the road.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I don't know. I think he was being a little over dramatic, particularly about #5. KG only played 6 seasons with the C's and is currently playing with a Celtic opponent. If he wanted #5, he should have taken it. The C's can worry about whether they retire it down the road.

Yeah ...I agree....  ..no problem him using it long as he is a Celtic.   after Amir is done with it , it goes back to KG s to be retired some day ........using it until it is retired is oK .....everyone knows the story.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
From the article:
At the very least, we cannot accuse the 10-season veteran of unoriginality. No Celtic has ever worn No. 90, and only P.J. Brown and Roy Rogers Jr. have ventured into the 90s.

Except for Jason Collins, Darko Milicic, and current Celtic Jae Crowder.

When 6 Celtics have done something, and you miss half of them  :-[

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 It's time to un-retire some numbers.

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

It will obviously never happen but I agree with you 100%, its ridiculous how many number celtics have retired, I know its a team effort but retiring of a jersey should be reserved for the elite of the elite in other sports most teams don't even retire jersey numbers because they use it as a privilege to the future legends to create their own legacy in that number and its an honour to wear a legends number as well, great celtics should be honoured by being put in our hall of fame but not retire every jersey of a player that contributes to a championship. The owners were previously talking about retiring KG's number too, which is crazy considering how although influential his Celtics career was short lived, KG will always be a Timberwolf

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It will obviously never happen but I agree with you 100%, its ridiculous how many number celtics have retired, I know its a team effort but retiring of a jersey should be reserved for the elite of the elite in other sports most teams don't even retire jersey numbers because they use it as a privilege to the future legends to create their own legacy in that number and its an honour to wear a legends number as well, great celtics should be honoured by being put in our hall of fame but not retire every jersey of a player that contributes to a championship. The owners were previously talking about retiring KG's number too, which is crazy considering how although influential his Celtics career was short lived, KG will always be a Timberwolf

I very much disagree with this, but the back and forth is well established on both sides. Suffice it to say that un-retiring numbers would be possibly the least-Celtics-y thing I could think of the franchise doing, short of moving to Los Angeles.

I always wondered why players don't select numbers 50-100 more often anyways. Should be original.

It has a lot to do with referees and foul calling.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

Easy solutions:

A. just don't call fouls on the Celtics' players with jerseys in the 60-99 range
B. find referees with 10 fingers-per-hand

Boom. solved.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Easy solutions:

A. just don't call fouls on the Celtics' players with jerseys in the 60-99 range
B. find referees with 10 fingers-per-hand

Boom. solved.
Maybe we need to change all our Celtics player jersey numbers starting from 50, in that way they don't call fouls.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
He could've just taken 9.
 That aint gonna be retired.

90 seems OK
Perry Jones w #38 - that seems weird to me.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Apparently, so did Rozier.

When asked on Twitter why did he choose 12, he answered, I did not really have much choice.

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
90 is a sweet number actually.
Rodman made it look cool to have 91.
Amir is a good offensive rebounder. Maybe he can be our Rodman lite.