Author Topic: Waiting to hear back on job etiquette question  (Read 7188 times)

Re: Waiting to hear back on job etiquette question
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
See, I actually view the opposite as true. My mother works in a job where she constantly has to make decisions on hiring new employees, and she has made it very clear to me over the years that she views option A as the best option due to it showing motivation, care, and interest in the prospective job. Every single time I had a job/college/scholarship/fellowship interview or anything like that growing up, she was always on me to contact the employer if I hadn't heard from them. She holds the philosophy that you need to stay on people's arses to get what you want, but, granted, that is only one person's ideology on the matter.

I'm actually sort of in the same boat as you right now. I submitted a couple of manuscripts to some journals back in early April, and they were supposed to get back to me in two months. Well, after ten weeks went by I sent in a status email to inquire about the status of my manuscripts, and they said they would have a decision to me by July 15th. Here it is on July 28th, and I still haven't heard anything back. I'll probably give it another week or so and then send them another status inquiry. Hope that helps!

Good luck with waiting.  I think I'll give it until August, since then it will have been a month or so.  But man I want this job -- what I like doing (aside from capology!), and a real promotion, in terms of pay, title, and responsibility.  Probably not an opportunity anywhere else like it for me.

Stop waiting. Stop being patient. Yes you may seem annoying as heck, if you're very urgent and eager, but hey, be my guest if you're willing to play their game!

Call them, and speak to someone. Ask what your status is, and that its already been the time frame that you were waiting for already. Just be upfront, and don't mess around, be blunt with what you want.

Employers love people that get what they want, and are assertive. If you want the job, then you're going to pester and annoy them until either a ) they completely rule you out b ) they give you job c ) you don't do anything, and you keep waiting for employers to contact you THEMSELVES in their busy schedule.

Patience is a virtue, too bad they never told Average Joe that.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 02:24:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since some asked, I knew someone in the company who passed around my resume, which is how I got contacted to begin with.  But his last week is this week (departure was planned since Feb, so I don't think that's impacted me), nor was he in this particular division, so he's not able to find out more, other than the position is still unfilled.  So it's me, the other guy/gal, or no one.

Also, some of you seem to hear back more quickly than I do in general.  My last three job offers I've waited 6 weeks, 5 weeks, and 5 weeks between my last interview and the offer.  7 is longer than normal, but 2-4 weeks sounds like heaven.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Usually waiting a week past the day they said they would contact you is usually a good time to contact them and inquire about your chances. I would not have been patient enough to wait longer and any longer may seem like you found something else or lost interest.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Since some asked, I knew someone in the company who passed around my resume, which is how I got contacted to begin with.  But his last week is this week (departure was planned since Feb, so I don't think that's impacted me), nor was he in this particular division, so he's not able to find out more, other than the position is still unfilled.  So it's me, the other guy/gal, or no one.

Also, some of you seem to hear back more quickly than I do in general.  My last three job offers I've waited 6 weeks, 5 weeks, and 5 weeks between my last interview and the offer.  7 is longer than normal, but 2-4 weeks sounds like heaven.

Ummm, I don't know why you would wait that long. I mean generally a lot of people or friends I know who are HRs/managers generally expect you to call or chase them down.

Otherwise, unless an employer is blown away by your resume, interview, and your overall presence, chances are they aren't going to advance or make any moves for you.

What I do is I usually call a week after, with a follow up of a thank you email/greeting card. See what my status is on my application, and if I sense there isn't that much interest, I will try again in 1-2 weeks, and give up if there is no improvement.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
A) Reach out again
B) Continue to wait patiently
C) Assume I did not get the job

A) Personally I don' think is ever acceptable unless they say specifically to call/email back at X date. I always want to ask what the status is especially when they say they'll make a decision in specific time frame or I'm on the "short-list".
B) and C) should be one. Until you have the job offer in hand with a written agreement from the employer, assume you haven't gotten the job for whatever reason.

I work at one of the largest employers in Massachusetts and my hiring process here took about 4 months from application to where I sit now. I applied for another job internally about 2 months ago and still haven't heard back but I assume I didn't get it since I was on the "short-list". Most in person interviews should get back to you within a month tops if they are actually offering you the job.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
If you are calling HR and not the manager directly, I do not see a problem with it.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hi Celticsblog,

I'm waiting to hear back about a job I applied for.  Here's the backstory -- please give me your advice.

I applied for this job in early April.  Before the job was posted, I was reached out to by someone involved in the decision-making process and told to please apply.  I did so, and heard nothing until early June, when I had an interview that went well.  I was one of two candidates brought back for a second interview.  That was June 10th.  I thought it went very well (better than my first interview).  It ended slightly abruptly because we ran long, and someone came to kick us out of the conference room, so I didn't get a chance to ask the "what's the decision timeline" question, and I forgot to put it in my follow-up thank you email.  After hearing nothing for three weeks, I emailed again on July 1st, and asked what the timeframe was.  I was told then that I should hear back in 10-14 days.  It's been double that period, so do I:

A) Reach out again
B) Continue to wait patiently
C) Assume I did not get the job

I want to do A, but I don't want to turn anyone off.  I also really want the job, but expect to do a little salary negotiation, so I don't want to appear too eager.  But I don't want my silence to be taken as a lack of interest.  I'm hopeful it isn't C, because HR is very slow (was told about the job opening in January, but it wasn't posted until April, and then 2 months between that and interviews).

Anyway, I don't know what to do, and am posting here in part to take up some of this nervous energy and not pursue option A if its the wrong thing.

Thanks for listening.  Thoughts appreciated.
sl, i dont know your exact industry or the hiring culture in it. if you are in anyway applying to a university EXPECT SLOW, especially in the summer.

having said that, either this place sees your value or it doesnt. reaching out to them, politely and diplomatically, will not turn them off. all sorts of things might have happened:

- vacations,
- internal crises in need of immediate attention
- unexpected changes in budgets which makes them pause on this hire
- lazy asses
- general sloppiness/inefficiency, someone didnt follow through

in any case, it is reasonable for you to contact them and ask. they wont turn away a good employee because he or she asked about the time line. and if they do, they are unprofessional and it might be best that you did not go there.

contact them today, that is my suggestion. and if you get the job, donate $100 to charity to repay me.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 05:45:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
A. If they were going to disqualify you because you asked, you definitely don't want to work for them.

There's a fair chance that they went in another direction and didn't let you know. OTOH, I've been on the job-seeker side of the equation too and had things drag out forever. If the position is mid-management or higher, that is more likely. If the decision makers are senior, that is more likely too since they may be dealing with bigger fires/issues, be traveling a lot, or be on vacation.

In any case, make the call/contact.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Sometimes hiring happens alongside reorganization and that can make timelines stretch out. That happened to me with my current job. They said they would hire me, but I ended up waiting an extra month while they reorganized. It was frustrating, but that is business reality.

Sadly, sometimes companies change their mind and don't contact you. It makes sense to followup to not end up waiting forever.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If they specifically told you to call back in 10-14 days and you waited 20-24 days, then by all means call them.  I am of the mindset that you typically don't try to contact them, either.

Also I got my job because someone behind the scenes had already promised to take it, but then eventually flaked out.  I applied like 5 minutes after HR put the ad up, but then they took it down when my (now) boss told them she had someone for the job.  So I was literally the only person who applied and this was right at the beginning of the recession.  The person who said they wanted the job ended up flaking out and then because I was the only person who applied, they hired me.  They might not have even done that, but I called like 2 months after my interview just to check and they said "oh [dang], we never got anybody for that, you know what?  congratulations!" 

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Call them and say you have an offer from their competitors and wanted to give them a chance to match.

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Update: I checked with them.  The message back was to the effect of: "Sorry we haven't gotten back to you. I wish I could tell you more, hopefully I will be able to soon."  It seems like there's some sort of internal holdup.  I'm guessing I didn't not get the job (because I think he would be decent enough to say if a decision had been made and it wasn't me).  So presumably there's some HR/budget boondoggle, which may result in me not getting the job in the future, or may clear up and I'll get it.

Guess I get to keep playing the waiting game.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
It sounds like the hiring manager lacks some common decency. I wouldn't be to thrilled to work for that person but it could had been an honest mistake. However, it seems like if you didnt contact them, you could had been on hold for over 2 months.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
It sounds like the hiring manager lacks some common decency. I wouldn't be to thrilled to work for that person but it could had been an honest mistake. However, it seems like if you didnt contact them, you could had been on hold for over 2 months.
I 100% agree. It sounds like they said "your call is important to us." They could have easily told you what exactly was causing the delays.

Good luck with the job search. It can be frustrating as hell.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah.  The good news is that I would be working with the hiring manager very little.  He seems like a nice enough guy, just scatter-brained and easily overwhelmed.  My understanding is this is the first time he's been the one at the front of the hiring process -- for all parties I hope he doesn't have to try that again.