Author Topic: Lowe - Excerpt from Hornets article on Celtics' draft day offer  (Read 39538 times)

Re: Lowe - Excerpt from Hornets article on Celtics' draft day offer
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I just want to reiterate that saying it wasn't a close series is not suggesting that the Celts didn't try hard, or that they should be embarrassed by how they performed.

They gave it their all.  Brad Stevens got the very most he could out of a team that resembled the cast of characters from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Sadly, it was the Aztecs vs Cortez.

If I make a big deal about underlining that point, it's because I think it'd be folly to expect to go into the playoffs with spears again and expect a different result against the muskets and armored horsemen.

While I agree, I do think that the 'accuracy' of a musket is the perfect metaphor for Lebron's jumper in the postseason ;D.
Also, let's not forget that we have our first bonafide NBA starter on the team now... David Lee... a player who spent the playoffs averaging 8 minutes (with 8 DNP's) off the bench.   That combined with our 12 million dollar man means we probably upgraded a couple of our spears to zhua's.

Things are looking up.

« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just want to reiterate that saying it wasn't a close series is not suggesting that the Celts didn't try hard, or that they should be embarrassed by how they performed.

They gave it their all.  Brad Stevens got the very most he could out of a team that resembled the cast of characters from the Island of Misfit Toys.

If I make a big deal about underlining that point, it's because I think it'd be folly to expect to go into the playoffs with spears again and expect a different result against the muskets and armored horsemen.

While I agree, I do think that the 'accuracy' of a musket is the perfect metaphor for Lebron's jumper in the postseason ;D.
Also, let's not forget that we have our first bonafide NBA starter on the team now... David Lee... a player who spent the playoffs averaging 8 minutes (with 8 DNP's) off the bench.   That combined with our 12 million dollar man means we probably upgraded a couple of our spears to zhua's.

Things are looking up.

How about macahuitl?

Anyway, this would seem an opportune time to refer once again to the clip that I feel perfectly sums up our series against the Cavs.  Said it then, still feel that way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mur-c5IiWJI
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

I've made a point of saying the same things, though I'll concede that perhaps it gets lost in longer posts that I have a tendency of making.

In general, I tend towards verbosity that is unnecessary.

I agree that this can make my posts seem more aggressive than they are intended to be.  I have a way of making agreement seem like argument.

I don't think exaggeration is quite right, but sometimes these arguments can go on for longer than makes any sense.  I do think some people are determined not to agree with me, no matter how hard I try to state things with equanimity.

One of the things I miss about being paid by the word is how much more thought goes into making sure everything is elaborated upon appropriately.

Not picking on LarBrd33, but I think it's quotes like these that kinda rub people the wrong way (me at least): "I watched those games and noted many times the cavs looked bored.  We were never at risk of beating them.  They flipped a switch whenever they wanted.  They were in control.  That serious was basically a tune-up for them."

There are ways to say this exact thing without coming off so opinionated and domineering. I don't think many people intend to be that way, but without the aids of tone, verbal and non-verbal cues, and body language, most times things like this come off the wrong way online. Simple phrases like "In my opinion" or "To me it seemed like" totally change the "tone" of the text, and I bet a lot of the contentious disagreements that occur on here could be erased by this type of etiquette.

Alas, the complexities of internet forums.  :)

« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Things are looking up.

How about macahuitl?

Anyway, this would seem an opportune time to refer once again to the clip that I feel perfectly sums up our series against the Cavs.  Said it then, still feel that way:

The Urami.

Gentlemen... we've upgraded our spears to ... flexible spears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMz_Z0Xq-2I

« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Looks like it's time to buy a David Lee jersey then.

From when he was a Knick at TJ Maxx ;D.

He should help them out and pick the same number as Courtney Lee. Help sell some excess jerseys.  ;D

Ahaha, that would be hilarious - TP ;D. I can see employees at TJ Maxx, Marshals, and Bob's, etc., being asked to discretely pull those jerseys from the clearance section and mark the price up to be over the original price of $10-15 .  Wearing one of those jerseys to a game would be like this ;D -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23u4fwuwSiM

Which reminds me - I need to see my man Risky about a Jordan Mackey jersey, ahaha ;D.

« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Things are looking up.

How about macahuitl?

Outstanding use of that clip, lol ;D - TP. You guys are thinking too small, though - I was waiting for someone to point out the Poles on horseback riding into battle against the panzers in 1939 ;D.

« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2015, 05:42:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Things are looking up.

How about macahuitl?

The Urami.

Gentlemen... we've upgraded our spears to ... flexible spears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMz_Z0Xq-2I

« Reply #247 on: July 29, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Things are looking up.

How about macahuitl?

Outstanding use of that clip, lol ;D - TP. You guys are thinking too small, though - I was waiting for someone to point out the Poles on horseback riding into battle against the panzers in 1939 ;D.

Look... All I'm saying is that we should keep some optimism.  If a couple of the rookies make it out of d-league, we might even conceivably upgrade our spears, macahuitl, zhuas and uramis and go full-tilt with a jian sword and switch blade. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcs3OwrkcR4

45 wins!

« Reply #248 on: July 29, 2015, 05:46:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I've made a point of saying the same things, though I'll concede that perhaps it gets lost in longer posts that I have a tendency of making.

I agree that this can make my posts seem more aggressive than they are intended to be.  I have a way of making agreement seem like argument.

I don't think exaggeration is quite right, but sometimes these arguments can go on for longer than makes any sense.  I do think some people are determined not to agree with me, no matter how hard I try to state things with equanimity.

One of the things I miss about being paid by the word is how much more thought goes into making sure everything is elaborated upon appropriately.

Not picking on LarBrd33, but I think it's quotes like these that kinda rub people the wrong way (me at least): "I watched those games and noted many times the cavs looked bored.  We were never at risk of beating them.  They flipped a switch whenever they wanted.  They were in control.  That serious was basically a tune-up for them."

There are ways to say this exact thing without coming off so opinionated and domineering. I don't think many people intend to be that way, but without the aids of tone, verbal and non-verbal cues, and body language, most times things like this come off the wrong way online. Simple phrases like "In my opinion" or "To me it seemed like" totally change the "tone" of the text, and I bet a lot of the contentious disagreements that occur on here could be erased by this type of etiquette.

And yet I get picked on for my use of emojiis and sarcasm in an attempt to solve this very problem.  Go figure.

« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2015, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

And yet I get picked on for my use of emojiis and sarcasm in an attempt to solve this problem.  Go figure.
If you helps you guys, just imagine my voice as Steven Wright and a constant facial expression like this:

In other words...

Or if you prefer something more current...

« Reply #250 on: July 29, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

And yet I get picked on for my use of emojiis and sarcasm in an attempt to solve this problem.  Go figure.
If you helps you guys, just imagine my voice as Steven Wright and a constant facial expression like this:

In other words...

Or if you prefer...

The first gif does make some sense.  I mean, you do live in Seattle ;) ;D.

« Reply #251 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

In other words...

Or if you prefer...

The first gif does make some sense.  I mean, you do live in Seattle ;) ;D.
My life as a remote Celtic fan living in Seattle:

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2015, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Did you watch Winnie the Pooh? Eeyore isn't sad, he just looks that way.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
At no point did I feel like the games were winnable. 

Apparently, many people did, so at this point trying to have a reasoned argument about it is rather like discussing our feelings on whether God exists.
I agree.   I imagine there is at least some correlation between those who felt those games were winnable... and those who think it's plausible that a below .500 team could sneak into the playoffs and shock their way to a championship.   You can't really argue against it.  Some people believe in miracles.

2012 Philly 76ers are the best-case scenario for that.   They didnt' make the playoffs the next year.

Nobody realistically thinks this team is going to win a championship this year, or thought they were going to last year.  Not even me.

I find it hilarious that you keep mentioning the 2012 Philladelphia Seventy-Sixers as the most plausible scenario for us.  It seems to me that they are simply the example that best fits your scenario. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
At no point did I feel like the games were winnable. 

Apparently, many people did, so at this point trying to have a reasoned argument about it is rather like discussing our feelings on whether God exists.
I agree.   I imagine there is at least some correlation between those who felt those games were winnable... and those who think it's plausible that a below .500 team could sneak into the playoffs and shock their way to a championship.   You can't really argue against it.  Some people believe in miracles.

2012 Philly 76ers are the best-case scenario for that.   They didnt' make the playoffs the next year.

Nobody realistically thinks this team is going to win a championship this year, or thought they were going to last year.  Not even me.

I find it hilarious that you keep mentioning the 2012 Philladelphia Seventy-Sixers as the most plausible scenario for us.  It seems to me that they are simply the example that best fits your scenario.
It's the best case scenario for a borderline playoff team.  They got matched up with an injured Chicago team in Round 1 and pulled off the upset.  Then in round 2 they matched up with an elderly Celtic team and took them to 7 games.   You don't get much more successful than that as an also-ran.