Author Topic: Lowe - Excerpt from Hornets article on Celtics' draft day offer  (Read 39447 times)

Re: Lowe - Excerpt from Hornets article on Celtics' draft day offer
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I would not prefer a core of Winslow, Vonleh and Smart to what we have now.  Vonleh could be out of the league in a few years and Winslow was a fairly "meh" college freshman who happened to have a bit more than a handful of very good performances.

Mike

Vonleh's mixture of shooting ability, length, and athleticism is going to give him a long leash in the NBA, even if he doesn't blossom quickly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think if you want to further bottom line it, you could simply say we were swept. Was it a massive bloodletting every game? No, but come on. We were swept. We couldn't even win one of the games at home with the other team taking it easy with a 2-0 and 3-0 series lead.

Here's the thing for me:

What was the score with 2 minutes or so left in each game?  If I recall correctly, the Cavs were up by multiple possessions in all four games.

That's not a close series.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I think if you want to further bottom line it, you could simply say we were swept. Was it a massive bloodletting every game? No, but come on. We were swept. We couldn't even win one of the games at home with the other team taking it easy with a 2-0 and 3-0 series lead.

Here's the thing for me:

What was the score with 2 minutes or so left in each game?  If I recall correctly, the Cavs were up by multiple possessions in all four games.

Short on time but you can find that info for each game in these links:

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400111/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 20, BOS 8
Lead Changes: 9
Times Tied: 5

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400112/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 14, BOS 9
Lead Changes: 8
Times Tied: 7

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400113/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 11, BOS 4
Lead Changes: 4
Times Tied: 6

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400114/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 21, BOS 1
Lead Changes: 2
Times Tied: 1
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
It really seems like to me that between the Adam Morrison pick and now the total infatuation to the point of insanity with Frank the Tank, Mike has a hard on for some former teammate or rival who must have had the size of a PF/C with an amazing shooting stroke and the ability to pass to his teammates.

Gotta wonder who Mike is trying to draft for his own team?

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Here's the thing for me:

Short on time but you can find that info for each game in these links:

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400111/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 20, BOS 8
Lead Changes: 9
Times Tied: 5

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400112/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 14, BOS 9
Lead Changes: 8
Times Tied: 7

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400113/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 11, BOS 4
Lead Changes: 4
Times Tied: 6

http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0041400114/playbyplay/
Biggest Lead: CLE 21, BOS 1
Lead Changes: 2
Times Tied: 1

Thanks!  I'll look into it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Game 1 @ 2 minutes:

98-111

Game 2 @ 2 minutes:

89-95

(89-97 w/ 1 minute left)

Game 3 @ 2 minutes:

98-92

(98-93 w/ 1 minute left, 101-93 final score . . . Celts scored 1 point in the last 2 minutes)

Game 4 @ 2 minutes:

92-79

(95-85 w/ 1 minute left)

So, in two out of four games, the Celts were 2 possessions away in the last 2 minutes, but never really threatened because of an inability to score.

In the other two games, it was a double digit game in the last two minutes.

Based on that, I'd agree it wasn't a complete floor-mopping because the Celts kept their dignity in two of those games.  But the Cavs were never really in danger of losing any of those games.  That makes it hard for me to call it a close series at all.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Game 1 @ 2 minutes:

98-111

Game 2 @ 2 minutes:

89-95

(89-97 w/ 1 minute left)

Game 3 @ 2 minutes:

98-92

(98-93 w/ 1 minute left, 101-93 final score . . . Celts scored 1 point in the last 2 minutes)

Game 4 @ 2 minutes:

92-79

(95-85 w/ 1 minute left)

So, in two out of four games, the Celts were 2 possessions away in the last 2 minutes, but never really threatened because of an inability to score.

In the other two games, it was a double digit game in the last two minutes.

Based on that, I'd agree it wasn't a complete floor-mopping because the Celts kept their dignity in two of those games.  But the Cavs were never really in danger of losing any of those games.  That makes it hard for me to call it a close series at all.

By the looks of it we were within striking distance in the 4th of 3 of the 4 and a couple buckets from us to close the 4th of 2 and we had a chance to make it 2-2. You made a note of us only scoring one point in 2 mins but Cavs with the best player in the world only scored 3!

Yea, still looks like it's closer to being a "close series" than the wiping the floor that a lot of people claim. A young team who didn't know how to close at the end of playoff games was our biggest problem.

Hopefully we will figure out how to close playoff games this season if we get the chance.

LBJ said our offense is amongst teams like SA, GSW, and Atl as the toughest defensive assignment on Twitter yesterday, hopefully we will just keep perfecting it and make it even tougher with the young guys another year older and players like Lee and Amir adding some buckets.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I watched those games and noted many times the cavs looked bored.  We were never at risk of beating them.  They flipped a switch whenever they wanted.  They were in control.  That serious was basically a tune-up for them.

This is the highlight of Zach lowes comments: 

The talent gap between no. 9 and no. 15 is real; ask Boston how it felt to squeeze into the playoffs, get demolished by a Cavs team in chill mode, and watch Justise Winslow fall right where it could have picked had it won three fewer games.

Best basketball writer out there these days. He gets it.

Echoes what I wrote in March when we were basically tied for the 9th worst record:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77156.0

In it I sum up two camps:

Some would argue that there's not a ton of difference between #9 and #15.

Others will argue that #15 + #26 wouldn't get you a Top 10 pick in this draft... and that having the #9 pick, based on the draft tiers, would be far more valuable than having the #15... so much so that it outweighs a pointless playoff exercise. 

Guess we found out which side was right.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:40:54 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2015, 12:38:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

By the looks of it we were within striking distance in the 4th of 3 of the 4 and a couple buckets from us to close the 4th of 2 and we had a chance to make it 2-2. You made a note of us only scoring one point in 2 mins but Cavs with the best player in the world only scored 3!

It's a subjective thing, but in my opinion, if you never had the lead in the last two or three minutes of any game in a four game sweep, it wasn't close.  Period.  The Celts were never even within a possession of grabbing the lead.  The Cavs never were put in a position where they needed to make a basket, or get a stop, in order to win the game.

Yes, it's true the Cavs only scored 3 points in the last 2 minutes in that game, but they already had a substantial lead and they really didn't need to score any more than that to ice the game.  In each of those games, the Cavs were just playing to run out the clock late in the 4th.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I watched those games and noted many times the cavs looked bored.  We were never at risk of beating them.  They flipped a switch whenever they wanted.  They were in control.  That serious was basically a tune-up for them.

The talent gap between no. 9 and no. 15 is real; ask Boston how it felt to squeeze into the playoffs, get demolished by a Cavs team in chill mode, and watch Justise Winslow fall right where it could have picked had it won three fewer games.

Echoes what I wrote in March when we were basically tied for the 9th worst record:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77156.0

Come on man. Can you please stop posting links to your old threads? It just makes us look bad as a whole as celtics fans. Nobody wants to see what one particular poster wrote in March. Furthermore, try to think about this, if everyone did this, what would the board be like? Can you imagine how horrible this board would be if all the regular posters constantly included their old links and predictions about things? That would just be a mess.

« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Come on man. Can you please stop posting links to your old threads? It just makes us look bad as a whole as celtics fans. Nobody wants to see what one particular poster wrote in March. Furthermore, try to think about this, if everyone did this, what would the board be like? Can you imagine how horrible this board would be if all the regular posters constantly included their old links and predictions about things? That would just be a mess.
Clay check out the thread. It was written when we were a half game above the 9th worst record with only a couple weeks to go.  The entire debate was on whether or not it was worth it to make the playoffs and get stuck picking 15/16.  It's extremely relevant to this conversation. We knew the repercussions of making the playoffs.  We knew we couldn't trade up to #9.   The nail couldn't have possibly been hit harder on the head.  Considering we tried giving up 4 first round draft picks to move up from 15 to 9 (and failed), it's interesting to look back on that discussion.  We are echoing a debate we had before our little two week run played us out of a lotto pick... Except now we have proof of how much that draft pick gap actually is.

I was on board with the playoff push though.  Getting Amir Johnson for 12 mil a year made it all worth it.

« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
If I recall correctly you were onboard with the playoff push.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2015, 12:51:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
yeah and I still am.  Amir Johnson was the prize.  I don't think we could have gotten him for 12 mil otherwise.  The playoffs ceiled it. 

That and brad probably is a step closer to returning to the ncaa if we hadn't made some progress.

« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Are you assuming you can take anything LarBrd33 posts at face value?

I'll refer you to the fact that he's referenced Amir Johnson as our "prize" for the playoff run half a dozen times on this page of the thread alone.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
yeah and I still am.  Amir Johnson was the prize.  I don't think we could have gotten him for 12 mil otherwise.  The playoffs ceiled it. 

That and brad probably is a step closer to returning to the ncaa if we hadn't made some progress.

that is either a very nice 'ceiling' pun or a very telling typo.

Regardless, I think the Monroe signing shows that even though we basically came up empty this time around preference is being given to teams that are competitive first and foremost.

I still think the playoff push was a waste, by the way.

Are you assuming you can take anything LarBrd33 posts at face value?

I'll refer you to the fact that he's referenced Amir Johnson as our "prize" for the playoff run half a dozen times on this page of the thread alone.

On the contrary, I think I have a slightly better nose for his hyperbole than some. Can't be bothered to check but I believe the general tone of his posts was "well Ainge tried really hard to tank but the team is playing well so we might as well accept that we're not getting a top 5 pick and enjoy it."