Author Topic: Who to showcase?  (Read 2144 times)

Who to showcase?
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's looking more and more like the team we have now is close to what we will have opening night. There are more trades in the future but we may have to wait until midseason for more players to become available. So who do we showcase early in the season? By showcase I mean give some unearned minutes and and focus with the objective of making their stats and trade value go up. It can mean starting someone but it could also mean picking favorable match ups.

Turner: With Crowder locked in and Turner expiring we probably should start Turner and give him the green light to score.

Sully: I don't want to pay him in RFA so I'd start him and run a lot of the O through him.

Young: He has got to show something this year to keep his trade value up. I think teams see him as a bust as of now and would value him around a 2nd round pick. If we can pick out 10 minutes a game where he doesn't have to defend anyone good and he gets hot and goes on a shooting streak, now we have a real asset. On the other hand, if Young looks lost out there his value goes down.

Maybe Lee: Too early to tell how good he is or where he fits bu if we make a trade for a big contract we will likely trade him. So we may want to pick match ups for him a bit. By midseason we want a team thinking he is more than just dead weight attached to a contract.

_/_
_/Young
Turner/_
Sully/Lee
_/_

You can only showcase so much. If someone is clearly beat out for a spot they have to lose it. It's a slight thing, a few extra minutes, letting a player under team control take the harder match up, exc.

Re: Who to showcase?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:24:43 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Sully for me. I don't want to give him long term money and I think he could become extremely valuable this season. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that he could become good enough to be a major piece in a trade for a star.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:11:14 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah, I agree. He has millions and millions of reasons to come to camp in shape this year. We don't have a lot of scoring and Sully was out for the second part of the year last year so he never really fit in when we were winning. Maybe he can come in and get close to 20/10 and we can trade him out.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:50 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Sully for me.

I wonder if Ainge is thinking the same way. Publically calling him out for failing to reach weight goals doesnt do a whole lot for his trade value. Especially if he doesnt respond.

You can make the argument that no matter what Ainge says publically, that people could tell Sully wasnt in shape. Maybe true but there are also alot of dumb gms inthe league.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Definitely Sullinger. Celtics have a logjam in the frontcourt now and Sullinger probably has the best trade value.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
AB, Turner, KO of the established players. 

Why KO over Sully?
- IMHO, I think Sully will be the better player.  doesn't have the outside shot of KO but rebounds much better and has great hands around the basket.
- KO is under control for 1 more year than Sully so represents a better value asset to another team.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they will actually play the best players rather than play the guys who they want to trade. Injuries always happen in the NBA so I think everyone will get an opportunity to play.

If they were to showcase people I think it would be guys who are expiring, so Turner, Lee, Johnson, Jerebko, Sully and Zeller. Considering we had our best success last year when going small I think trading any of the bigs that don't have 3 point range is a good possibility.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm a little torn, but this is a real issue. Assuming everyone's healthy, there's really only significant minutes for 4 front court players (sure, a 5th could get spot minutes, but I'd argue that that is almost counter productive). So if the team does hope to move someone like Sully (or anyone else), they should make sure that player isn't playing spot minutes if they hope to get any real trade value.

As for the backcourt, it's also crowded, but I am less worried about that. I do think we'll see our fair share of 3 guard lineups; and quite frankly, I couldn't care less if the rookies don't sniff the floor this season. There's plenty of time for them to develop.

Another thing to consider: while I think the need for Danny to make consolidating trades right now is overrated (just cut PJ 3 or Turner if there are no good deals out there), we do have 3 first rounders and four second rounders next year. At some point, something is going to have to give.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
CBS will be playing to win, not showcasing anyone, I wager.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

Young: He has got to show something this year to keep his trade value up. I think teams see him as a bust as of now and would value him around a 2nd round pick. If we can pick out 10 minutes a game where he doesn't have to defend anyone good and he gets hot and goes on a shooting streak, now we have a real asset. On the other hand, if Young looks lost out there his value goes down.

So basically we're just giving up on Young based off what little we've seen, to the point we hope he has a stretch of good just enough to get some sort of perceived value back ?.  If so what type of value are we looking for and will Young just be a throw-in in this scenario. ?

How about we just give him some minutes every game and see what he grows into. One NBA season is not enough to determine a bust, not even a GM would think that.

I remember when people around here though AB was terrible in his first year giving his small opportunities he had his first year, things change pretty quickly. I don't get why we try to figure someone out with such small sample sizes.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

This.

- Turner and Lee are FA's and will likely be playing for a contract elsewhere next year
- Johnson, Jerebko, Sully, and Zeller are not locked down for next year (through non-player options and offers) and could also be playing for a long term deal here or elsewhere.
- KO could play well and demand an extension without considering the QO in 2016.

While some think DA is just stockpiling assets for the sake of it, I think he has core guys (Smart, AB, Thomas, Crowder, rookies) with mostly defined roles while the rest have something to prove and they don't really need a coach to light a fire under them. They'll play well for their own gain and it could very well help this team by making them very marketable come February 2016. Just my opinion.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Agree that Stevens will simply be playing to win.
Also, doesn't Sullinger look worse with extra playing time?  The numbers obviously go up but I think his efficiency, shot selection, rebounding effort, and defense suffer.

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 05:34:32 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
CBS will play to win.  Certain assets will appreciate more than others.  Others will turn into losses to be cut or sold cheaply.

I am thoroughly enjoying the rebuild, I think CBS really has a good vision and is executing it.

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The player that I would most like to trade is David Lee but at this salary, it will be tough.  If he can play like his old self (which I believe is unlikely), there could be interest from a contender.  I think the best possible is that he plays well enough to be a valuable player off the bench for a contender.  I don't know how we would structure a trade though because a contender won't have cap space and won't want to send a valuable player back.

My next group of "expendables" includes Jerebko (remember, he is 28), Turner (he just is not part of the future), and Thomas.  I know most will be surprised that Thomas is included but I think he could get back some value.  Maybe the Knicks would take Thomas, Turner and a future first for Porzingis?