Author Topic: Situational Awareness Series: Most Athletic Lineup  (Read 1321 times)

Situational Awareness Series: Most Athletic Lineup
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:54:25 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Preface: Since one of the most common topics on this forum is centered around the compilation of the best Celtics lineup given the current constructed roster, I thought it'd be fun to discuss this topic in the context of situations that CBS will have to face during every game. So begins the Situational Awareness Series.. There will be an in-game situation for every post. Please post your best 5 players to put on the floor, and of course, the logic behind it.

Situation 1: Athletes in Demand. The game is grinding to a stand-still, and the C's can't get any offensive flow or a complete series of defensive stops. CBS needs 5 guys on the floors that will push the pace of the game, with thoroughbreds racing up and down the floor to attack the basket. On defense, we need players that can consistently switch on as many picks as possible, fly around creating turnovers, and raise the overall energy.

My 5:
Marcus Smart: Attack the basket, play tough defense, cause backcourt chaos.
Isaiah Thomas: Some people might want Rozier or AB here alongside with Smart, but I don't think you can push the pace successfully without IT4 on the floor. AB can't dribble and Rozier I dont trust yet.
Jae Crowder: Switches on everything on defense, dives, hustles, and runs the floor.
Jonas Jerebko: Always an underrated athlete to me. He can switch, put the ball on the floor, and is basically the best offensive rebounder from last year.
Amir Johnson: Gotta have an athletic big to guard a few positions, while also able to have the length/strength to challenge shots on at the rim. Honorable mention for Jordan Mickey if he shows that he can be trusted.

Your thoughts?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Situational Awareness Series: Most Athletic Lineup
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Assume we have access to rookies...

IT
Rozier
Turner
Jerebko
Mickey

IT/ Rozier and Turner are the teams best ball handlers and teams only penetrators.

Jerebko is our most athletic defender at 4.

Mickey is the best athlete on the team.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

IT
Rozier
Turner
Jerebko
Mickey

IT/ Rozier and Turner are the teams best ball handlers and teams only penetrators.

Mickey is the teams best athelete hands down.

I don't disagree with anyone except Turner.. Even when the ball is in his hands, he's considerably slower than a reckless Jae Crowder. Last thing, Marcus over Rozier is only based on trusting a soph over a rook. I haven't seen if Rozier can create turnovers like Marcus can
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:16:55 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Rozier
Young
PJ3
Mickey
Amir

IMO best per-position athleticism. You could swap Smart in for Young if you wanted, but otherwise in terms of raw athleticism this is my favorite lineup.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If PJ3's on the roster, he's easily our most athletic player. He should probably be in any uber athletic lineup.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

IT
Rozier
Turner
Jerebko
Mickey

Mickey is the teams best athelete hands down.

I don't disagree with anyone except Turner.. Even when the ball is in his hands, he's considerably slower than a reckless Jae Crowder. Last thing, Marcus over Rozier is only based on trusting a soph over a rook. I haven't seen if Rozier can create turnovers like Marcus can

Smart and Crowder sub in for Rozier and Turner to lose offense but add defense and retain similar athleticism

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Terry Rozier
Avery Bradley
Perry Jones
Jonas Jerebko
Jordan Mickey

Or

Isaiah Thomas
Terry Rozier
Perry Jones
Jonas Jerebko
Jordan Mickey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Less realistic: IT, Bradley, Smart, Lee, Amir.

Like the idea of going super small if it's possible and we can get away with it:
Send out the pits for your stops (IT, Bradley, Smart), get your 2-3 best creators (IT, Smart, Lee) and 2-3 best shooters (IT, Bradley, Lee).

More realistical: IT, Smart, Crowder, Lee, Amir.
Basically, our best line-up no matter the situation (boring). I could see swapping Turner here, but it depends a lot on Smart's usage this year. I'd just PnR with Lee all day.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 11:54:52 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
If PJ3's on the roster, he's easily our most athletic player. He should probably be in any uber athletic lineup.

I've been on every topic on PJ3 screaming about how overrated his athleticism is after those knee surgeries. I'll ask you the same question that I asked everyone else. Please show me a highlight of him blowing by a guard or having a poster dunk. All of his scoring comes from shooting over shorter players with his height.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:39:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I've been on every topic on PJ3 screaming about how overrated his athleticism is after those knee surgeries. I'll ask you the same question that I asked everyone else. Please show me a highlight of him blowing by a guard or having a poster dunk. All of his scoring comes from shooting over shorter players with his height.

He's 6'11" and posted a 38.5" vertical in the pre-draft measurements.  That's pretty elite.

The question of whether his athleticism has deteriorated after the surgeries is a fair one, hard to comment on that as I haven't really watched him play much. i know from the footage I saw when he was in college (which wasn't all THAT long ago) he showed some serious athleticism though.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460