Author Topic: Isiaih Thomas=mvp candidate?  (Read 6074 times)

Re: Isiaih Thomas=mvp candidate?
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 04:44:35 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
he is not even considered to be a starter but a 6th man.

Isaiah Thomas=6th man candidate

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
HAHAHA!!!

Oh wait, it's a serious thread?

No, he won't be an MVP candidate. If anything, CBS is more likely to win coach of the year. Isaiah has a strong chance of SMOY and he might almost be an all star. But if Jamaal Crawford and JR Smith and Manu Ginobili have never been MVP candidates, then odds are, IT4 won't either.

At his peak Manu's Per 36 stats were comparable to, but still worse than, Isaiah's when he was with us last year. Crawford's numbers are worse than Manu's, and Smith's are worse than Crawford's. Isaiah's Per 36 stats were actually nearly identical to Steph Curry's last year. While I don't think it's reasonable to try and make a case for Isaiah as an MVP candidate, your comparisons are off-base as well.

Off-base? My reasons for comparing them is that 1) those guys are good enough to start, 2) their main role is to be a spark plug off the bench, 3) they can fill it up in a hurry and 4) they have deservingly won 6th man of the year awards. That sounds like a way more apt comparison than comparing IT4 to Steph Curry.

As you probably know, but conveniently don't bring up, there have been plenty of per-36 monsters that don't keep up that level of efficiency when you actually give them 36 minutes.

- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
probably like 0.1% chance at being a mvp candidate
with guys like lebron, curry, durant, paul george, anthony davis, paul
its hard to see thomas being a serious mvp candidate

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 11:00:40 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He's not good enough defensively to warrant consideration for MVP.

I think a sleeper run at something like a scoring title is in play if he gets the minutes and Stevens' system continues to gel. That'd be fun, I love watching small guards(grew up watching AI) tear it up in a league made for giants.

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
The Celts would have to win 55+ games and IT would have to put up something like what he averaged per-36 minutes for the Celtics last year:

26 pts 7.5 ast 3 reb 1 stl

Even that probably wouldn't be enough to compete with the likes of Bron, Durant, Harden, Curry, & Westbrook, and it'd still be an amazing feat.

Crazy how good his Per 36 numbers were with us last year.

Crazy how good his offensive numbers were.  His DRPM tells the other end of the story.

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Unless he becomes the face of a fast food commercial, becomes the face of one of the major shoe brands, becomes the #1 star in a foreign country, has his own sports drink (on a large scale), appears in multiple non shoe/food commercials as well, makes at least one cameo in a movie or tv show, and has a cute kid or famous gf/wife.

Anyone can put up 30 a night but once you promote big macs and show up in an Entourage episode, the  you are the MVP.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The Celts would have to win 55+ games and IT would have to put up something like what he averaged per-36 minutes for the Celtics last year:

26 pts 7.5 ast 3 reb 1 stl

Even that probably wouldn't be enough to compete with the likes of Bron, Durant, Harden, Curry, & Westbrook, and it'd still be an amazing feat.

Crazy how good his Per 36 numbers were with us last year.

Crazy how good his offensive numbers were.  His DRPM tells the other end of the story.

True, I believe he's outside the top 70 for Point Guards.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 01:10:41 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Team MVP.

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2015, 05:22:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Isiaih Thomas=mvp candidate?

I think you take these ideas from playing too much 2k on your playstation, but still, I like your style.

Like you are, ehm, totally wrong but you also totally deserve a shamrock (and a TP) because totally green goggles.

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Also you totally misspelled the 2016 MVP's first name, but we love you man!

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Plus I'm absolutely right that Isaiah is going to have a huge year.  So are the celtics for that matter.

I think you missed the part where it was phrased as a question for discussion purposes anyways. 

It has nothing to do with nba 2k.  I don't even like that game too much.  It has to do with how our roster is assembled for anyone with any real basketball knowledge.  Guys like Smart, Amir, Lee, Turner, Crowder are going to help him quite a bit. Same with KO.

Thomas should have a lot of room to operate this year.  We don't have a real superstar and until we do Isaiah or however you spell his name is going to put up numbers.

It's a good point.  Admit it.  Maybe not MVP material but he's going to be big for us.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:39:58 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:38 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
 The way I see this team anyways is we are a 2nd round playoff team as it stands and anything can happen from there. We could use that one piece in the middle most likely but our nucleus is really good.

The C's were fantastic after getting him last year.  I expect him to get recognition and start hearing whispers other than as a 6th man if the celtics get off to a hot start. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:02:22 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not even close to MVP candidate, but potential all star if he scores over 20 ppg off the bench.

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
HAHAHA!!!

Oh wait, it's a serious thread?

No, he won't be an MVP candidate. If anything, CBS is more likely to win coach of the year. Isaiah has a strong chance of SMOY and he might almost be an all star. But if Jamaal Crawford and JR Smith and Manu Ginobili have never been MVP candidates, then odds are, IT4 won't either.
I don't think Stevens has a chance at coach of the year. We outplayed our talent too much last season for him to get the same accolades this season. That is the norm. If your team plays way better than their talent one season, they will be criticized a lot the next as their team regresses to the mean.

This is also why so many coach of the year winners are fired a year or two later.

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 07:30:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Not even close to MVP candidate, but potential all star if he scores over 20 ppg off the bench.
Actually, (and to make this conversation a bit more serious) it would be a major surprise if any Celtics player made it to the All Star.

That's the only part of the rebuild where we have not been successful so far.