Author Topic: Slow News Day: Javale McGee  (Read 6117 times)

Re: Slow News Day: Javale McGee
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
It's entirely possible that he's found he enjoys not playing basketball for $12 million more than he likes playing basketball for $1 million.  And if so, can't say I blame him.

He will get the 12 million dollars either way right? I am unclear if he gets the vets minimum plus the 12 million or just the 12 million, but he doesn't lose money by signing somewhere. Also, if he doesn't play in the NBA this season it pretty much means he will never play in the NBA again (or makes it a 100x less likely). So it is more like 12 million this year plus future career earnings or just take the 12 million and make no more money from basketball the rest of your life (at least in NBA)

He'll get the $12 million and vet min salary this year, although a portion of the vet minimum will offset the $12 million (a couple hundred thousand).  Next year he won't be paid the $12 million any more, so maybe basketball will be more interesting to him.  Or not.  He's set for life, and he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.  No reason to play basketball if you don't like it or it hurts your body too much.

Nobody is saying he should play basketball if he doesn't want to. It seems like you are kind of creating some situation here that doesn't exist. He wanted more money and thought he could get it. He now seemingly will at best make the same he turned down, may never make money again. It would be one thing if he said he didn't want to play basketball for 1 million dollars cause it was not worth the pain, but I never saw him say anything like that before. If he has said something like that you should share it because it would be interesting and unusual.

Sorry, my point is that I think that since he's already getting paid, he doesn't feel the need to sign unless he gets the offer he wants.  I don't think he has any regrets.

www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/sports/javale-mcghee-expresses-regrets-over-contract-mishandle.html
Can't follow the link for some reason (it spells McGee's name wrong?) but if he has regrets, then I'm wrong.

It was actually just a joke  :D it is not a real news story. I had to tease along given the slow news day nature. TP for putting up with my tom foolery!

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's entirely possible that he's found he enjoys not playing basketball for $12 million more than he likes playing basketball for $1 million.  And if so, can't say I blame him.

He will get the 12 million dollars either way right? I am unclear if he gets the vets minimum plus the 12 million or just the 12 million, but he doesn't lose money by signing somewhere. Also, if he doesn't play in the NBA this season it pretty much means he will never play in the NBA again (or makes it a 100x less likely). So it is more like 12 million this year plus future career earnings or just take the 12 million and make no more money from basketball the rest of your life (at least in NBA)

He'll get the $12 million and vet min salary this year, although a portion of the vet minimum will offset the $12 million (a couple hundred thousand).  Next year he won't be paid the $12 million any more, so maybe basketball will be more interesting to him.  Or not.  He's set for life, and he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.  No reason to play basketball if you don't like it or it hurts your body too much.

Nobody is saying he should play basketball if he doesn't want to. It seems like you are kind of creating some situation here that doesn't exist. He wanted more money and thought he could get it. He now seemingly will at best make the same he turned down, may never make money again. It would be one thing if he said he didn't want to play basketball for 1 million dollars cause it was not worth the pain, but I never saw him say anything like that before. If he has said something like that you should share it because it would be interesting and unusual.

Sorry, my point is that I think that since he's already getting paid, he doesn't feel the need to sign unless he gets the offer he wants.  I don't think he has any regrets.

www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/sports/javale-mcghee-expresses-regrets-over-contract-mishandle.html
Can't follow the link for some reason (it spells McGee's name wrong?) but if he has regrets, then I'm wrong.

Not working for me either.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

It was actually just a joke  :D it is not a real news story. I had to tease along given the slow news day nature. TP for putting up with my tom foolery!

Well, not really slow news (anti-climatic maybe) for the Celtics.

We got the introductory press conference.
Lee-Wallace trade finalized.
Crowder's contract finalized.
Rozier's contract finalized.
Hunter's contract finalized.
Trade for the lesser Dragic + 2nd rounder reported and finalized.

So there have been quite a few things going on today :)

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Well, not really slow news (anti-climatic maybe) for the Celtics.

We got the introductory press conference.
Lee-Wallace trade finalized.
Crowder's contract finalized.
Rozier's contract finalized.
Hunter's contract finalized.
Trade for the lesser Dragic + 2nd rounder reported and finalized.

So there have been quite a few things going on today :)

ahh i know. I just miss the days of us hoping Love or Aldridge would sign here, or dreaming of winning one game against the Cavs in the playoffs.

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Dude has all the physical talent in the world, and it would've been interesting to see how he played with a coach that had a knack (or at least a reputation) for developing players.
Physical talent, maybe. Mental talent, not so much.

He doesn't seem to have the highest basketball IQ that I've ever seen. I'll refrain from commenting on his actual IQ because that's a tricky thing to judge, particularly in regards to those in the public eye.

No underlying implications here re: McGee, I ask b/c I'm generally interested in the answer:
How strong do you think the relation is between IQ and bball IQ?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Dude has all the physical talent in the world, and it would've been interesting to see how he played with a coach that had a knack (or at least a reputation) for developing players.

He doesn't seem to have the highest basketball IQ that I've ever seen. I'll refrain from commenting on his actual IQ because that's a tricky thing to judge, particularly in regards to those in the public eye.

No underlying implications here re: McGee, I ask b/c I'm generally interested in the answer:

Since nobody answered this, I'll at least try even though I don't have a strong opinion. I think they are probably really weakly correlated. If a player has a really high basketball IQ I think they would be less likely to have a low IQ overall. I am not sure if the reverse is true, there may be no correlation to having a really low basketball IQ and IQ in general cause it means they are just bad at one thing. So to give an example of this thinking. If I am a great driver, I more likely to be great at some other things. However, if I am a terrible Driver, I don't think that means I am terrible at lots of other things. I don't know.... just kind of rambling.

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Hard to say.  I would probably say it's a fairly loose relation. 

You see a guy like Sullinger for example - he's well known for his sky high basketball IQ, but when you hear him talk in an interview he doesn't sound like the most intelligent guy around.  I don't mean anything insulting by this at all, but that's just the impression I get when I hear him talk - he sounds kinda slow to respond, like he has to stop and think about everything before he speaks. 

On the other hand you have a guy like Marcus Smart - also high basketball IQ.  When I hear him in an interview he doesn't sound like the most educated guy (he sounds quite street in his pronunciations, etc) but he sounds extremely intelligent to me - very sharp, quick thinking, quick to respond/react, etc.  Street smart, if you will.

I think basketball IQ is based more on the history of the player and the game.  Guys who are sons of coaches for example (Sully, Pressey, etc) often have very high basketball IQ, even in cases where they might not be especially intelligent in general.  Being around the game all your life, I think you just gain that natural and second-nature understanding of concepts, fundamentals, how everything works, etc.

I do believe guys who learn the game quickly (i.e. guys who have high BBIQ despite not playing the game for very long) are typically going to be guys with high general IQ. 

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

In personal this-is-way-beyond-my-pay grade opinion I don't think there's much of one. In fact I think we've all seen players that are obviously thinking their way through the game to their own impediment, rather than just letting the game come to them and reacting accordingly.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 09:36:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You see a guy like Sullinger for example - he's well known for his sky high basketball IQ, but when you hear him talk in an interview he doesn't sound like the most intelligent guy around.  I don't mean anything insulting by this at all, but that's just the impression I get when I hear him talk - he sounds kinda slow to respond, like he has to stop and think about everything before he speaks. 

On the other hand you have a guy like Marcus Smart - also high basketball IQ.  When I hear him in an interview he doesn't sound like the most educated guy (he sounds quite street in his pronunciations, etc) but he sounds extremely intelligent to me - very sharp, quick thinking, quick to respond/react, etc.  Street smart, if you will.

I think basketball IQ is based more on the history of the player and the game.  Guys who are sons of coaches for example (Sully, Pressey, etc) often have very high basketball IQ, even in cases where they might not be especially intelligent in general.  Being around the game all your life, I think you just gain that natural and second-nature understanding of concepts, fundamentals, how everything works, etc.

I would present a different angle on this matter.   There are multi-modes of intelligence.  Spatial  awareness is one of them.   A lot of basketball IQ is spatial awareness, and reading situations on the court.   This may not present itself as rote knowledge, good verbal skills but it is still a form of intelligence.