Author Topic: Slow News Day: Javale McGee  (Read 6124 times)

Slow News Day: Javale McGee
« on: July 27, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
So since there is not a lot of news today and it is the dog days of summer, I figured it would be fun to revisit the near signing of Javale McGhee. As everyone knows, Javale McGhee famously turned down the Celtics offer because he did not want to get team options for the year after this (2016-2017).

However, as we approach the end of free agency and many teams have maxed out their roster spaces, he is still without a team. The only team that has been weakly linked to him is the Dallas Mavericks. However, they have already added veterans Zaza and Sammy D. So if he signs with them it would be for the minimum on a team with two non-star veterans battling for minutes (they are also rumored to have interest in a different center, a Turkish center.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/report-mavs-might-still-want-javale-mcgee-072715

As time passes does Mcghee regret turning down the money and offer from the Celtics? Will he even be in the NBA this season?

Edit: I made my post more clear it was for a team option in 2016-2017

Re: Slow News Day: Javale McGee
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think McGee gets another deal in the NBA until he agrees to a team option -- if it was an agent miscommunication he should have fired his agent, if it was a personal bias someone needs to try and get through to him, assuming he has continued interest in continuing his NBA career.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I don't think McGee gets another deal in the NBA until he agrees to a team option -- if it was an agent miscommunication he should have fired his agent, if it was a personal bias someone needs to try and get through to him, assuming he has continued interest in continuing his NBA career.

None of it is official but the reports of him still potentially joining the Mavs all mention concerns with him being healthy. He has played like 25 games the last couple years, has he been going bowling or something?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
He definitely hasn't looked the same since he broke his leg, that's for sure.

Dude has all the physical talent in the world, and it would've been interesting to see how he played with a coach that had a knack (or at least a reputation) for developing players. Was sad when the deal fell through.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

ha, ha, ha... oh....i thought this was a punch line.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Dude has all the physical talent in the world, and it would've been interesting to see how he played with a coach that had a knack (or at least a reputation) for developing players.
Physical talent, maybe. Mental talent, not so much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:21:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It's entirely possible that he's found he enjoys not playing basketball for $12 million more than he likes playing basketball for $1 million.  And if so, can't say I blame him.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
It's entirely possible that he's found he enjoys not playing basketball for $12 million more than he likes playing basketball for $1 million.  And if so, can't say I blame him.

He will get the 12 million dollars either way right? I am unclear if he gets the vets minimum plus the 12 million or just the 12 million, but he doesn't lose money by signing somewhere. Also, if he doesn't play in the NBA this season it pretty much means he will never play in the NBA again (or makes it a 100x less likely). So it is more like 12 million this year plus future career earnings or just take the 12 million and make no more money from basketball the rest of your life (at least in NBA)

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He will get the 12 million dollars either way right? I am unclear if he gets the vets minimum plus the 12 million or just the 12 million, but he doesn't lose money by signing somewhere. Also, if he doesn't play in the NBA this season it pretty much means he will never play in the NBA again (or makes it a 100x less likely). So it is more like 12 million this year plus future career earnings or just take the 12 million and make no more money from basketball the rest of your life (at least in NBA)

He'll get the $12 million and vet min salary this year, although a portion of the vet minimum will offset the $12 million (a couple hundred thousand).  Next year he won't be paid the $12 million any more, so maybe basketball will be more interesting to him.  Or not.  He's set for life, and he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.  No reason to play basketball if you don't like it or it hurts your body too much.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He'll get the $12 million and vet min salary this year, although a portion of the vet minimum will offset the $12 million (a couple hundred thousand).  Next year he won't be paid the $12 million any more, so maybe basketball will be more interesting to him.  Or not.  He's set for life, and he can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned.  No reason to play basketball if you don't like it or it hurts your body too much.

Nobody is saying he should play basketball if he doesn't want to. It seems like you are kind of creating some situation here that doesn't exist. He wanted more money and thought he could get it. He now seemingly will at best make the same he turned down, may never make money again. It would be one thing if he said he didn't want to play basketball for 1 million dollars cause it was not worth the pain, but I never saw him say anything like that before. If he has said something like that you should share it because it would be interesting and unusual.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 04:38:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Dude has all the physical talent in the world, and it would've been interesting to see how he played with a coach that had a knack (or at least a reputation) for developing players.
Physical talent, maybe. Mental talent, not so much.

He doesn't seem to have the highest basketball IQ that I've ever seen. I'll refrain from commenting on his actual IQ because that's a tricky thing to judge, particularly in regards to those in the public eye.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Nobody is saying he should play basketball if he doesn't want to. It seems like you are kind of creating some situation here that doesn't exist. He wanted more money and thought he could get it. He now seemingly will at best make the same he turned down, may never make money again. It would be one thing if he said he didn't want to play basketball for 1 million dollars cause it was not worth the pain, but I never saw him say anything like that before. If he has said something like that you should share it because it would be interesting and unusual.

Sorry, my point is that I think that since he's already getting paid, he doesn't feel the need to sign unless he gets the offer he wants.  I don't think he has any regrets.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Sorry, my point is that I think that since he's already getting paid, he doesn't feel the need to sign unless he gets the offer he wants.  I don't think he has any regrets.

Edit: I think I had my whacky pills today sorry for confusing people with the onion style fake story i made up.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 05:13:57 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If McGee had signed the proposed deal, chances are he already would be off the team because the C's wouldn't have wanted to keep him on the payroll(like Babb and Pressey it would have been a non-guaranteed contract this year) and the additions of Lee and Johnson would have made him very expendable.

Also, he's a mental midget and most likely would have soured those in control of this franchise. Kid has no drive, no ambition, no heart and bad health. He saved the team some money last year by being a moron and not taking that deal

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/sports/javale-mcghee-expresses-regrets-over-contract-mishandle.html
Can't follow the link for some reason (it spells McGee's name wrong?) but if he has regrets, then I'm wrong.