Author Topic: RJ Hunter 96 Points  (Read 4322 times)

Re: RJ Hunter 96 Points
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 08:59:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Overall, I am optimistic about him as well.   His shooting was streaky at times, but he managed to score.  I liked how he overcome adversity.   He started summer league struggling in the first two games, but recovered well and adjusted, that says a lot about this kid.    I was impressed with his passing and basketball IQ, concerns for me, was his lateral movement.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 01:56:55 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Seasonlong fan query:"why isn't Hunter playing?!"

*hunter enters the game, game thread explodes*
*Hunter finishes game 0-3 with 2 turnovers in 5 minutes of play*
*Finishes season playing 300 minutes total.*
*Hype continues unabated.*
*Hunter eventually suffers James Young treatment when the new rookies are drafted*
good call. this is a very possible outcome. but dont forget to include "posters label rj a bust."  ;D

> certain fans rate Hunter really highly
> all aboard the hype train
> when new rookies drafted, same fans post "Hunter is overrated" threads
> circle of celticsblog continues

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 02:25:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is our year

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I wish somebody would make a corresponding video entitled "0 points", followed by showcasing all of Hunter's misses. ;)
;D
You mean there is a selection bias in the video?

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I think he is going to be a stud, at worst case Kevin Martin. I'm putting that out there right now. I think this dude has some game.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Hunter had a good Summer League not because of his points scored or assists attained or rebounds gotten. He didn't have a good Summer League because he was playing against inferior talent.

He had a good Summer League because he showed an ability to hit the three under all sorts of circumstances, because he showed an inherent understanding of how to play the game right, because he showed excellent form on his shot, and because he showed he is willing to commit to playing defense. He showed he has what it takes to be an NBA player. You really can't ask for more than that out of a player in the Summer League.

When I watch Summer League or watch college basketball scouting for the draft I don't care about stats. They are unimportant compared to whether the kid has talent, whether he knows where to be when to be there, whether he shows he has the fundamentals of the game down, whether he plays tough, whether he plays smart, whether he gets the team concept, whether he has the physical ability to thrive at the next level. These are the things that are important, not stats.

I could not agree more with this.

After the Utah games I made a post saying how much I really liked what I saw from Hunter.  People responded with confusion because his stats were not good in those games.  But much like you pointed out here summer league is not about stats, its about how a player moves and looks in the flow of a game.

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Hunter had a good Summer League not because of his points scored or assists attained or rebounds gotten. He didn't have a good Summer League because he was playing against inferior talent.

He had a good Summer League because he showed an ability to hit the three under all sorts of circumstances, because he showed an inherent understanding of how to play the game right, because he showed excellent form on his shot, and because he showed he is willing to commit to playing defense. He showed he has what it takes to be an NBA player. You really can't ask for more than that out of a player in the Summer League.

When I watch Summer League or watch college basketball scouting for the draft I don't care about stats. They are unimportant compared to whether the kid has talent, whether he knows where to be when to be there, whether he shows he has the fundamentals of the game down, whether he plays tough, whether he plays smart, whether he gets the team concept, whether he has the physical ability to thrive at the next level. These are the things that are important, not stats.

I could not agree more with this.

After the Utah games I made a post saying how much I really liked what I saw from Hunter.  People responded with confusion because his stats were not good in those games.  But much like you pointed out here summer league is not about stats, its about how a player moves and looks in the flow of a game.

Thank, I completely agree with this. Hopefully the nerds on this board will get this.