Author Topic: Top 5 offseason Losers..and winners  (Read 15186 times)

Top 5 offseason Losers..and winners
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:32 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
So i know the offseason isnt close to over but with no stars on the trading block and no key free agents remaining its hard to believe that too much will change. So lets start with the losers...

5. Washington. What the Wiz did this offseason was swap out Paul Pierce for Jared Dudley...who will miss months with an injury. They had the chance to get a guy in the draft who could have come in and contributed right away, but decided to go with Kelly Oubre, who may be a stud a ways down the line but is in no way ready to contribute in the NBA as of right now. Gary Neal was a nice pickup to add some scoring punch, but what the Wiz really needed was front court depth to back up the injury prone Nene and the inconsistent Gortat, which they did not get. I think the Wiz drop a Few spots in the east, unless Otto Porter harnesses his potential and has a moster year. The team is really going to miss the presence of Pierce alot more than people think.

4. New York. It all started on draft night when the Knicks took Porzingiz. While i actually think the kid will develope into a real nice player down the line, it was a huge gamble for the Knicks to take at this juncture of their rebuilding stage. I thought they should have played it safe and gone for a guy like Mudiay or Winslow (who i still cant believe dropped). Then, agter striking out in free agency, they tie up a bunch of money in Lopez and Afflalo as if theyre gunning for a playoff spot, when what they really need to do is bottom out for a couple of years like Philly and trade Carmelo (which i know isnt going to be an easy task).

3. Atlanta. Hotlantas defense is going to take a huge hit with the subtraction of Carroll, who was one of the leagues most versatile defenders last year. What they should have done in the draft is go after a guy like HollisJefferson or Andersen, but instead traded the pick for the horribly inefficient Tim Hardaway Jr. Getting Splitter and resigning Millsap were good moves, but i still dont expect Atlanta to be nearly as good as last year and may drop a few spots, and maybe even be beat put in the division by Miami or Washington.

2. Charlotte. MJ done it again. First, he trades Lance Stephenson for next to nothing. Then trades Gerald Henderson, whose on a more than reasonable contract, and Noah Vonleh (who he gives up on in under a year) for Nicolas Batum, whose a nice player, but plays the same position as MKG, who MJ put alot of stock in drafting him 2nd overall. They also passed on Winslow, Turner and others for A guy named Frank the Tank. But its okay because they got Spencer Hawes.

1. Dallas. Poor poor Dallas. And its all DeAndre Jordans fault. I can see why the cubes is attempting to put together a competitive team after they got burned. But imo they should just ship out Dirk and Parsons and bottom out instead of ensuring theyre not bad enough to keep their pick (top 7 protected). Just a crappy situation.

Winners.   

5. Sacramento. The Kings would be even higher on the list if they were in the eastern conference. Then these additions would actually maybe get them somewhere. But they did a great job of adding talent after a tumultuous start to the offseason. They got a potentially elite rim protector in WCS and the perfect guy to throw him lobs in Rondo. Belinelli and Koufos were great additions and getting rid of Stauskas, Landry and Thompson was a classic case if addition by subtraction. I think the Kings will finally make the leap from a bottom 3 team in the West to a 7 or 8 seed, which is pretty impressive in that conferance.

4. Milwaukee. The Bucks sort of just came out of nowhere and snagged Greg Monroe when some were certain he"d go to New York or elsewhere. Resigning Middleton, who proved he could make big shots in last years playoffs was huge. They added Miles Plumlee and Greivis Vasquez for very little and even got some value for Zaza. Ill be honest this Bucks team fills me with fear and envy..minus the whole Jason Kidd as head coach thing.

3. Houston. It started out by the Rockets having a terrific draft. Dekker and Harrell were both steals for where they were drafted. Then they go ahead and upgrade their weakest position by trading 4 scrubs and a late draft pick for Lawson, who has been a borderline allstat talent in the past. Resigning Brewer was key.

2. LA Clippers. Lance Stephenson, Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce, Josh Smith, Cole Aldrich. The Clippers bench be looking like a eastern conference playoff team. Its funny because The Clips were one bad decision from DeAndre Jordan away from being on the other list. Im far from a fan of Blake Griffin or Chris Paul fan but im gunna be gunning for this team just for Paul Pierce. Its also nice seeing Doc find success as a GM.

1. Cleveland. Assuming Tristan Thompson will finally resign. The Cavs are on this list mostly because of the players they were able to keep. They were able to avoid a disaster in KLove leaving after giving up a future supertar for the guy. Then they add Mo Williams back, who many thought was over the hump then acored 50 points last year! Varejao coming back is also going to make a big difference. Ill end by saying i hate this team and it annoys me greatly that this will be the 6th consecutive year we have to see Lebron in the finals.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:10:29 PM by perks-a-beast »

Re: Top 5 offseason Losers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I'm glad the Celtics are not on there... 8)

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I think you have to put LA in there. They basically whiffed on every big free agent out there, though they did nab Lou Williams. Their biggest move was drafting Russell, who is years away from contributing, and trading for a washed-up, headcase in Hibbert.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:04:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So i know the offseason isnt close to over but with no stars on the trading block and no key free agents remaining its hard to believe that too much will change. So lets start with the losers...

5. Washington. What the Wiz did this offseason was swap out Paul Pierce for Jared Dudley...who will miss months with an injury. They had the chance to get a guy in the draft who could have come in and contributed right away, but decided to go with Kelly Oubre, who may be a stud a ways down the line but is in no way ready to contribute in the NBA as of right now. Gary Neal was a nice pickup to add some scoring punch, but what the Wiz really needed was front court depth to back up the injury prone Nene and the inconsistent Gortat, which they did not get. I think the Wiz drop a Few spots in the east, unless Otto Porter harnesses his potential and has a moster year. The team is really going to miss the presence of Pierce alot more than people think.

4. New York. It all started on draft night when the Knicks took Porzingiz. While i actually think the kid will develope into a real nice player down the line, it was a huge gamble for the Knicks to take at this juncture of their rebuilding stage. I thought they should have played it safe and gone for a guy like Mudiay or Winslow (who i still cant believe dropped). Then, agter striking out in free agency, they tie up a bunch of money in Lopez and Afflalo as if theyre gunning for a playoff spot, when what they really need to do is bottom out for a couple of years like Philly and trade Carmelo (which i know isnt going to be an easy task).

3. Atlanta. Hotlantas defense is going to take a huge hit with the subtraction of Carroll, who was one of the leagues most versatile defenders last year. What they should have done in the draft is go after a guy like HollisJefferson or Andersen, but instead traded the pick for the horribly inefficient Tim Hardaway Jr. Getting Splitter and resigning Millsap were good moves, but i still dont expect Atlanta to be nearly as good as last year and may drop a few spots, and maybe even be beat put in the division by Miami or Washington.

2. Charlotte. MJ done it again. First, he trades Lance Stephenson for next to nothing. Then trades Gerald Henderson, whose on a more than reasonable contract, and Noah Vonleh (who he gives up on in under a year) for Nicolas Batum, whose a nice player, but plays the same position as MKG, who MJ put alot of stock in drafting him 2nd overall. They also passed on Winslow, Turner and others for A guy named Frank the Tank. But its okay because they got Spencer Hawes.

1. Dallas. Poor poor Dallas. And its all DeAndre Jordans fault. I can see why the cubes is attempting to put together a competitive team after they got burned. But imo they should just ship out Dirk and Parsons and bottom out instead of ensuring theyre not bad enough to keep their pick (top 7 protected). Just a crappy situation.

False.

Ainge would like to say something about that.

Agree with all, except I would say the Hornets are the worst.

I'm sorry, but MJ is completely stupid, and most likely was a huge reason why the moves they made, were the indirect moves they ended up making!

I mean, our offer wasn't great, and I understood if the Hornets passed on ours for Winslow, but they DRAFTED Frank the Tank, when they already had a player like Hawes who has a very similar game to him!

The Hornets just suck, and will impetuously do so for a long time until Michael Jordan gets removed for any stake in ownership, and front office decisions. Apparently, Michael Jordan was very high on Frank, and told Cho that he would be on his wish list.

I think you have to put LA in there. They basically whiffed on every big free agent out there, though they did nab Lou Williams. Their biggest move was drafting Russell, who is years away from contributing, and trading for a washed-up, headcase in Hibbert.

Lou doesn't have a future except to be trade bait most likely. And Hibbert isn't that washed up, and that much of a headcase... Hes a legit 7'2 center that can still defend and block shots.. Just because he didn't fit in with a team that lacked ball movement, and a ball handler who could create easy open looks for Hibbert, doesn't mean he was a waste of space. Hibbert can still contribute, and would still be a good 20-25 MPG type of center for most teams.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

False.

Ainge would like to say something about that.

Agree with all, except I would say the Hornets are the worst.

I'm sorry, but MJ is completely stupid, and most likely was a huge reason why the moves they made, were the indirect moves they ended up making!

I mean, our offer wasn't great, and I understood if the Hornets passed on ours for Winslow, but they DRAFTED Frank the Tank, when they already had a player like Hawes who has a very similar game to him!

The Hornets just suck, and will impetuously do so for a long time until Michael Jordan gets removed for any stake in ownership, and front office decisions. Apparently, Michael Jordan was very high on Frank, and told Cho that he would be on his wish list.

Yep, not to mention the fact that I'm sure Danny would've gladly thrown in KO, who has an almost identical game to Kaminsky. Kaminsky may be a bit better defender than KO, but I think KO's shot is better and he's a better playmaker.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
#1 = Portland

Lost LaMarcus Aldridge. Lost Nic Batum. Lost Robin Lopez. Lost Wes Matthews.

Went from a 50+ win team that wasn't far from title contention to a bottom 5 team.

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
#1 = Portland

Went from a 50+ win team that wasn't far from title contention to a bottom 5 team.

100% agree

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
#1 = Portland

You can't really blame the Blazers for not being able to retain LMA, who clearly wanted to be on a better team to contend. The Blazers didn't have the pieces and the ability to bring in a third Allstar next to Lillard and LMA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
#1 = Portland

True, though every name after LMA was one they chose to lose once it was clear LMA was gone.

If we're defining being an "Offseason loser" as falling well short of expectations or hopes for what the team was going to accomplish, or just screwing up the opportunities available:

1. Dallas
2. New York
3. Portland (made the most of a bad hand, but they still lost a top 10 guy)
4. Lakers
5. Celtics (failed to upgrade core talent via draft, trade, or FA, settled for stop-gap solutions)
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:22 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
#1 = Portland

Losing those guys and going into rebuild mode asap is alot better for the Blazers in the long run than hanging on to guys who were being paid a crap ton and never getting them over the hump. They still have Lillard and most likely a top 5 pick this year. plus they have a chance to develope alot of young talent in mccollum, leonard, and vonleh. Theyre gunna be alright and are in better shape than say the Knicks or the Hornets.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
#1 = Portland

True, though every name after LMA was one they chose to lose once it was clear LMA was gone.

If we're defining being an "Offseason loser" as falling well short of expectations or hopes for what the team was going to accomplish, or just screwing up the opportunities available:

1. Dallas
2. New York
4. Lakers
5. Celtics (failed to upgrade core talent via draft, trade, or FA, settled for stop-gap solutions)

Yeah I think I agree with this list, although I might say that a team like the Pacers had a rougher offseason than we did.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
#1 = Portland

That is if you expected "fireworks" this offseason.

Re: Top 5 offseason Losers..and winners
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Hey guys just updated for the winners. Was planning on making a seperate thread but then thought that eould be dumb.

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
#1 = Portland

1. Dallas
2. New York
4. Lakers

Yeah I think I agree with this list, although I might say that a team like the Pacers had a rougher offseason than we did.

Well, for me it comes down to the expectations.  What were the Pacers expected to do this off-season?

Seems to me they did OK adding Turner in the draft, shoring up their frontcourt with a reasonably productive big in Hill, and adding much needed playmaking and scoring at a reasonable price with Monta.

Biggest knock on Indiana is that they couldn't get any value for Hibbert, but simply moving him might be addition by subtraction.  Will depend on what Vogel can do with his new personnel.

Quote from: Rondo9
That is if you expected "fireworks" this offseason.

I disagree with this characterization.

Your implication is that anybody who sees this off-season as a disappointment had unrealistic expectations that Danny was going to turn everything around in one fell swoop.

Instead, what I wanted to see, failing a move to add a core piece, was some kind of appreciable progress forward in the rebuild, consolidating the talent, cutting away redundancy, and refocusing on putting together a young core.   Clearing up the vision for the future instead of muddying it further.

The picture is no clearer moving forward, and the rotation is even messier and more cluttered than when the season ended.  That's a disappointment in my book, and though I'm sure Danny fought hard to make some moves, at the end of the day he had to settle for minor asset management type moves. 

Not a horrible off-season, but well short of what we could have reasonably hoped for back in early June.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
the rotation is even messier and more cluttered than when the season ended

I don't really get this as being much of a downside.  The rotation is cluttered because we got more guys that can play.  We improved the talent of the roster.  Sure, it means less minutes for some players, but if they deserve more time then they'll earn it

Getting David Lee for Wallace and Babb certainly made the frontcourt rotation more cluttered, but you'd have a hard time calling it a bad move because it improved the talent level of the team, and that's the same way I look at most of the moves this offseason
I'm bitter.