Author Topic: Perry Jones- Weird  (Read 8021 times)

Re: Perry Jones- Weird
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
So this is a bit of an interesting fact. Apparently Perry Jones will be at the introductory press conference later today. I've been of the opinion that Jones will simply be cut before rosters finalize, but why would he be introduced at the conference if we don't intend to keep him?

Where'd you get that impression? I don't think anyone from the team or the media has been suggesting that.

There were no rumors of any consolidation trades, and therefore, Jones is the odd man out. OKC wasn't able to trade him for an actual asset, so why would we be able to? All signs pointed to him being cut.

Right, because there has to be a rumor in order for something to materialize. Am I reading this correctly?If so, show me just one link that gave you a sneak peak of the Lee trade or the Amir signing before they happened.

Or perhaps there was a rumor telling us about Rozier getting drafted that high, or the PJ3/Zoran trades?

Then think about the rumors we read this summer: KLove; LMA/Matthews; moving up in the draft; players linked to Danny in the draft. None of those things materialized.

To the OP- I was also surprised to see PJ at the presser, so maybe this means he was in their plans all along.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I would be shocked if he's cut from our team.

I remember watching his high school highlights and thinking..holy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. this guy is going to be a super star..Well maybe he won't be that but we have a coach that was able to make Jordan Crawford useful...I think he can make Perry Jones useful as well.

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I remember watching his high school highlights and thinking..holy **** this guy is going to be a super star..Well maybe he won't be that but we have a coach that was able to make Jordan Crawford useful...I think he can make Perry Jones useful as well.
perhaps, who on the roster do you think jones should replace?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:57 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I hope Jones isn't cut.  Honestly, I'd rather keep him than Young.  Jones has at least shown flashes of being an effective NBA player and his upside is ridiculous.  Young's summer league was very discouraging.

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29

I remember watching his high school highlights and thinking..holy **** this guy is going to be a super star..Well maybe he won't be that but we have a coach that was able to make Jordan Crawford useful...I think he can make Perry Jones useful as well.
perhaps, who on the roster do you think jones should replace?

It's hard to say..Danny is probably looking to do some trades and at least get a pick for whoever he's going to drop or a consolidation trade (2 for 1 or even 3 for 1). Someone like Markieff Morris maybe?

Anyways Dragic and Thornton are definite cuts, after that it's hard to say..Probably James Young...I doubt he drops James Young for nothing though...a consolidation trade is way more likely.

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
So this is a bit of an interesting fact. Apparently Perry Jones will be at the introductory press conference later today. I've been of the opinion that Jones will simply be cut before rosters finalize, but why would he be introduced at the conference if we don't intend to keep him?

Where'd you get that impression? I don't think anyone from the team or the media has been suggesting that.

There were no rumors of any consolidation trades, and therefore, Jones is the odd man out. OKC wasn't able to trade him for an actual asset, so why would we be able to? All signs pointed to him being cut.

To be honest, I thought all signs pointed to Danny wanting to take a genuine chance on him.  23 year old, 6'11" guys with freakish athleticism don't grown on trees. 

If Brad is as good at developing young talent as we all believe he is, then who knows what type of product he could produce with that type of blank canvas.

I'm thinking they probably want to give him a run in training camp alongside the other young guys (Rozier, Hunter. Mickey, Young) and critique his game from there - determine whether they feel he has the ability to become somebody special. 

IIRC the NBA has a 13 man active roster, and right now we look to have nearly 40% of that roster (5/13 spots) taken up by unproven prospects.  I would hazard a guess that this number will be culled by the time the regular season begins.

I expect that at least 9/13 roster spots will be taken up by proven contributors, which leaves I think 4 spots (at most) available for prospects.  Hunter, Rozier and Mickey all outplayed Young in Summer League and all have multiple years guaranteed on their contracts, so I think all three of those guys are above Young on the 'prospect depth chart'.

I think Young's lack of development (or at least lack of signs of development) has him walking on a tightrope right now, and I feel like he'll probably be battling Perry Jones and Jonathan Holmes for that 4th and final 'prospect' roster spot.

People here seem to have the general perception that Young is a sure thing for a roster spot and won't get waived / traded - I wouldn't be so sure. 

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 11:48:48 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Right, because there has to be a rumor in order for something to materialize. Am I reading this correctly?If so, show me just one link that gave you a sneak peak of the Lee trade or the Amir signing before they happened.

Or perhaps there was a rumor telling us about Rozier getting drafted that high, or the PJ3/Zoran trades?

Then think about the rumors we read this summer: KLove; LMA/Matthews; moving up in the draft; players linked to Danny in the draft. None of those things materialized.

To the OP- I was also surprised to see PJ at the presser, so maybe this means he was in their plans all along.

For what it's worth, the Amir Johnson trade was actually rumoured in the day or two before the agreement was announced.  Amir Johnson was listed as a guy getting interest from Boston, as was Corey Brewer and (I think) somebody else.

But you're right, Danny seems to be good at keeping his moves quiet, and there is rarely a lot of public notice before they happen.

The Clippers (Doc) and Nets (KG/Pierce) deals being notable exceptions.

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 01:45:56 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

For what it's worth, the Amir Johnson trade was actually rumoured in the day or two before the agreement was announced.  Amir Johnson was listed as a guy getting interest from Boston, as was Corey Brewer and (I think) somebody else.

But you're right, Danny seems to be good at keeping his moves quiet, and there is rarely a lot of public notice before they happen.

It wasn't a rumor when first reported, it was backhanded announced because it wasn't official, they agreed and we learned about it. I know this b/c he agreed to it the SAME day FA opened. They couldn't even contact him until FA so there wasn't days for a rumor.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 02:23:50 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

It wasn't a rumor when first reported, it was backhanded announced because it wasn't official, they agreed and we learned about it. I know this b/c he agreed to it the SAME day FA opened. They couldn't even contact him until FA so there wasn't days for a rumor.

I read rumors about Boston having interest in Amir Johnson at least a day before any announcement was made.

The reports were not "Boston has reportedly made a deal with..."  they were "Hearing reports that Boston has an interest in Amir Johnson and Corey Brewer".

We can all 'assume' that Boston had unofficial conversations with him before this, but that would all be exactly that - assumptions. 

Amir said that Danny Ainge was the first person to call him, and that he called the instant he was allowed to.  Amir also said he was so impressed by that, he pretty much made a decision on the spot.  So it makes perfect sense that Johnson agreed to the deal the day it was made - it doesn't mean that the deal was premeditated.

Assuming that's what you mean, and I'm not misunderstanding you?

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:51 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
C'mon, now. You honestly believe talks started and ended the same day? Business is business...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC