Author Topic: Perry Jones- Weird  (Read 8019 times)

Re: Perry Jones- Weird
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:33 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Jones came with the money to pay his contract, so Boston more or less gets a free look at him in training camp and a second-rounder for their troubles for helping the Thunder out with their tax bill. He'll most likely be the final cut in camp (I don't expect Dragic to even show up to camp), but I also think that Ainge has to move one of Sullinger/Zeller/Olynyk sooner or later, so if someone steps to the plate with a future first for any of them in the next few weeks then Jones could find his way to the regular-season roster.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
So this is a bit of an interesting fact. Apparently Perry Jones will be at the introductory press conference later today. I've been of the opinion that Jones will simply be cut before rosters finalize, but why would he be introduced at the conference if we don't intend to keep him?

Where'd you get that impression? I don't think anyone from the team or the media has been suggesting that.

There were no rumors of any consolidation trades, and therefore, Jones is the odd man out. OKC wasn't able to trade him for an actual asset, so why would we be able to? All signs pointed to him being cut.

Patience. Danny may well have more work to do. Someone just pointed out that HoopsHype has a rumor from a Miami beat reporter that Dragic may be moved, which means Danny is still trading. (But supposedly either way, Dragic won't be with the C's next year).

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
So this is a bit of an interesting fact. Apparently Perry Jones will be at the introductory press conference later today. I've been of the opinion that Jones will simply be cut before rosters finalize, but why would he be introduced at the conference if we don't intend to keep him?

Where'd you get that impression? I don't think anyone from the team or the media has been suggesting that.

There were no rumors of any consolidation trades, and therefore, Jones is the odd man out. OKC wasn't able to trade him for an actual asset, so why would we be able to? All signs pointed to him being cut.

Patience. Danny may well have more work to do. Someone just pointed out that HoopsHype has a rumor from a Miami beat reporter that Dragic may be moved, which means Danny is still trading. (But supposedly either way, Dragic won't be with the C's next year).

I hope you're right, a guy with PJ3's physical attributes is worth a shot, and the Dragic rumor is encouraging, but I'm still dubious.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not intended to derail, but...

Imagine you're PJ III, just got out to Boston, chillin in your hotel after the presser. Not a lot to do since you don't know where you live, if your knees will work tomorrow, or if you may still become a boss someday. So what do you do?

Hop onto the internet. That's what people do now. And PJ III is going to fall into the trap a lot of athletes and celebs do - Google himself. And what's he going to find? A thread on CsBlog with the title "Perry Jones - weird." Poor guy.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Imagine you're PJ III, just got out to Boston, chillin in your hotel after the presser. Not a lot to do since you don't know where you live, if your knees will work tomorrow, or if you may still become a boss someday. So what do you do?

Hop onto the internet. That's what people do now. And PJ III is going to fall into the trap a lot of athletes and celebs do - Google himself. And what's he going to find? A thread on CsBlog with the title "Perry Jones - weird." Poor guy.

He'll come out of his rookie contract having grossed over $5 million, with at least one more minimum deal at about a million likely, and then a career overseas ahead of him. He'll be fine.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

TP.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Jones came with the money to pay his contract, so Boston more or less gets a free look at him in training camp and a second-rounder for their troubles for helping the Thunder out with their tax bill. He'll most likely be the final cut in camp (I don't expect Dragic to even show up to camp), but I also think that Ainge has to move one of Sullinger/Zeller/Olynyk sooner or later, so if someone steps to the plate with a future first for any of them in the next few weeks then Jones could find his way to the regular-season roster.

this is exactly what's happening. TP
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:31 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
why did okc had to trade jones?, couldnt they waive him themselves

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 07:03:53 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
why did okc had to trade jones?, couldnt they waive him themselves
If they waive him, his full 2015-16 contract stays on their books and they have to pay luxury tax on it which would cost them roughly 3X the value of his contract. But if instead, they trade him to a team with cap space along with the $$$ for his contract they are relieved of the tax burden. Win-win for both teams as we get a pick for renting out our cap space.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I feel like PJ3 is going to end up getting some run here.

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 08:49:55 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
You couldn't not have him at the press conference. Not only are you completely closing the door on his chance of staying with the Celtics but you are also telling teams that they can have him for free, so any chance of getting any asset for the guy drops significantly.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

The rumor out of Miami is that Boston may try to move him via trade.  Can't imagine that the team trading for him wants him outright-otherwise they would have made that deal themselves.  It really seems like something else is brewing.  Wouldn't be surprised that Dragic is a part of another deal.
PJ 3 may have a shot at making the team in Boston and is an athlete to watch.
After all adding an athlete in the front court isn't a bad idea.  No one ever accused our front court of having ups and being fast.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I feel like PJ3 is going to end up getting some run here.

Yup, there's no way a kid with his skill set is dropped before coach has a crack at him.
If coach likes what he see's Danny will find a way to keep him

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »

Offline Top Gun

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
One reason that most teams could not trade for PJIII is because most teams do not have the salary cap space to make these moves. If you are over the cap you would need to return salary back to OKC. OKC does not want to take ANY salary.

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

Please, please, PLEASE move Olynyk.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!