Author Topic: Zoran Dragic to Cs  (Read 15567 times)

Re: Zoran Dragic to Cs
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I like this deal on two fronts.

The first is that we just picked up a second rounder practically for free.  That's never a bad thing, even if it's relatively unlikely to ever turn into a major asset. 

The second is that the Heat make room for Josh Richardson, who is a personal binky of mine.  He's a good kid, he's better than people think (lol at 'improved shooter' in that article - he has always been a knockdown midrange shooter), and I hope he makes it in the NBA.  Looks like he's going to get a shot.

Ditto, TP ;D. We should have taken him at 33, imo.
Triboy would have slit his wrists if we did

That's completely inappropriate and uncalled for.  Joking about suicide or hurting yourself is NEVER funny.

Sheesh, simmer down, PC police.

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
It's kind of a no-brainer again by Danny. He takes the trade and waives Dragic and Miami pays his full salary. We gain a 2020 2nd rnd pick. A free pick is good but helping competitors get free from salary problems I am not sure is in our best interest unless the pick turns out to be a good one.

So we screw the cHeat?  I like it 8)

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Question. Do the Cs have the most second round picks in the history of the NBA? Whatever the record might be we've gotta be close.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Question. Do the Cs have the most second round picks in the history of the NBA? Whatever the record might be we've gotta be close.

We're probably not done collecting them yet either. Maybe if we put them together they will form a Voltron

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
So dumb. How is Miami's future 2nd round pick an asset? I don't get what Ainge is doing. Really annoyed with the unbalanced Roster. He's going to damage the growth of his young players if he has a bunch of guards.

1) Because it's a 2nd round pick, and every 2nd round pick is an asset of some degree (unless it's top 55 or so protected, like the one Boston sent to Miami)

2) I read that Miami also sent Boston cash so that they can buy out Dragic' contract. 

3) Also read that Boston want to trade Dragic if possible to get something in return, and buying him out is the last resort (if they can't get a trade worth making)

All this basically means that Boston has no intention on keeping him, and are essentially getting a 2nd round pick for nothing.  All they need to do in return is absorb his contract amount on their cap for one season, which doesn't matter since they have already done all their deals (and don't have enough cap space to make a worthwhile signing anyway).

Regarding the second round picks, you need to think of it as a 'piece'.  A sweetener.  For any deal Boston makes, the ability to throw in a second rounder acts as a nice sweetner.  Likewise if they ever want to cut a player who hasn't reached potential (*cough* James Young *cough*) they can send a 2nd round pick to a team who has cap space so said team can absorb the contract. 

2nd round picks are rarely the 'centerpiece' in any deal.  In this case Miami wanted to shed salary reduce how much over the cap they are, and Boston saw a chance to steal a 2nd rounder out of it.  Danny loves these kinds of "get something for nothing" deals, as we can probably all see by now. 

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:29 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Zoran Dragic is better than James Young.

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There's a 6 page thread about Zoran Dragic?   He's not going to make our opening night roster, is he?  I glanced at the trade and assumed it was just a money saving thing that earned us a 2nd rounder.   I assume Dragic gets cut.

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I like this deal on two fronts.

The first is that we just picked up a second rounder practically for free.  That's never a bad thing, even if it's relatively unlikely to ever turn into a major asset. 

The second is that the Heat make room for Josh Richardson, who is a personal binky of mine.  He's a good kid, he's better than people think (lol at 'improved shooter' in that article - he has always been a knockdown midrange shooter), and I hope he makes it in the NBA.  Looks like he's going to get a shot.

Ditto, TP ;D. We should have taken him at 33, imo.
Triboy would have slit his wrists if we did

That's completely inappropriate and uncalled for.  Joking about suicide or hurting yourself is NEVER funny.

Actually, I'm laughing, so it is sometimes funny.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
There's a 6 page thread about Zoran Dragic?   He's not going to make our opening night roster, is he?  I glanced at the trade and assumed it was just a money saving thing that earned us a 2nd rounder.   I assume Dragic gets cut.

It's looking like you assumed correctly.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
At the moment. Young deserves a full training camp healthy before we cast judgement on his future. We have seen Zoran he will not make our roster without a trade.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2015, 10:11:45 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
At the moment. Young deserves a full training camp healthy before we cast judgement on his future. We have seen Zoran he will not make our roster without a trade.
Not sure what Young has done to "deserve" anything.  Every time I have seen him his effort and focus have been poor, he has missed shots and completely lost track of his man several times each game.   
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

It's CelticsBlog. Do you really expect anything else from the same board that populates 6+ page "What can we do to get Durant" threads?
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It's CelticsBlog. Do you really expect anything else from the same board that populates 6+ page "What can we do to get Durant" threads?
It's the middle of summer, what's there to talk about? RJ Hunter's uniform number?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2015, 12:12:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
its the off season. i can live with it since it is news and does show us that ainge is great at acquiring assets for nothing. and this beats discussing whether IT will be mvp of the nba.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

FYI - the record for 2nd round picks is 5 set by Philly in the '14 draft.  They also have the record for total picks in a 2 round draft with 7 also set in '14.

Now what's really crazy is the draft used to go on until teams didn't want to pick anymore.  Chicago drafted 22 players through 21 rounds in the '68 draft.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class