Author Topic: Since becoming a celts fan, what are some of ur favorite/least favorite seasons?  (Read 6531 times)

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Been a fan since 2008.  Never liked the celtics growing up, liked the Pistons for awhile then the big 3 came along.  I've always been a sucker for the underdog or feel good story and I hated the lakers.  I remember watchig the championship series and feeling nostalgic.  I watched the celtics play and really started to become enamored with pierce, kg, Allen.  After game 1,  I did some research on how they came together And that peeked my interest more.  The more I watched the series the more I enjoyed the players and watchig them fight for that long elusive title.  When I heard kg yell anythig is possible with "we are the champions" playing in the background... I was done!  That's my team I said, lol.  Since then I've been more interestdd in nba than any time in my life.  I've now become one of those guys that checks on the c's 365 days a year. Having taken my first trip to Boston a few weeks ago and beig in TD garden was special for me and further solidified my fandom.

I'd honestly have to say the lowest point of my fandom was shortly after this years draft.  I liked last years team, but thought we did nothing to help it.  I really thought, man I can't sit through another year of the same guys fighting for 40 wins or less then barely making the playoffs and not getting a decent draft pick.  But I've been encouraged by our rookies and am looking forward to how lee, jones, Johnson all fit in.  I'm pretty pumped for this new year and this team has the same grit I like in the teams I root for...steelers, penn state.  Sorry I'm a PA guy, but at least I didn't choose the sixers :P

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
One very underrated team in my book was the 2011 Celtics with Shaq. I think a case could be made that not only would the C's have won it all that year had Shaq not gotten hurt, I think a case could be made that the most talent the team ever had on the floor at once was at the beginning of that season. Rondo was at the height of his talent, the Big Three were still near the tops of their games, and Shaq was rejuvenated with the Big Three spacing the floor and Rondo throwing alley-oops.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Did not like the mid 90s teams or the teams of the last two years.

Celtics were always fun to watch when Bird was there. I enjoyed those teams in the late 80s and early 90s even though they weren't making the Finals anymore. Then Bird left. A year later Reggie Lewis died. McHale left. Parish a year after that. The team was decimated.

Next few years sucked. There was no top talent -- an old Nique + an over-rated Radja + decent but unexceptional young players like Dee Brown, Rick Fox and so forth -- to get excited about for next few years until Antoine Walker turned up in 96-97.

I liked that next team in 97-98 and then Pierce came and they really started to put something together. Always loved Kenny Anderson even though he was a shadow of his previous self here in Boston. A few good years until Antoine was traded. Next few years were up-and-down but it always fun to watch Paul Pierce. Paul Pierce kept me going through the rebuilding teams. Then came Garnett and Ray Allen several Championship runs. Great years.

Last two years have been boring. No clear star talent on the team. Rondo was fun to watch at times but unable to regain past heights. None of the young talent have shown enough to get really excited about yet either (hopefully Smart makes the leap this year!). Not much reason to watch the team. Just a bunch of mediocre talent.

So mid 90s and last two years. They are the worst years for me.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
One very underrated team in my book was the 2011 Celtics with Shaq. I think a case could be made that not only would the C's have won it all that year had Shaq not gotten hurt, I think a case could be made that the most talent the team ever had on the floor at once was at the beginning of that season. Rondo was at the height of his talent, the Big Three were still near the tops of their games, and Shaq was rejuvenated with the Big Three spacing the floor and Rondo throwing alley-oops.

I agree, this group gave a 2 or 3 month clinic on how to play winning basketball. It was the last gasp for Shaq but he had enough to anchor the paint and control the pace. KG was on fire, trash talking like crazy, with "big daddy" backing him up lol. Rondo had mega targets to pass to. Pierce and Allen were always open.

I'm sure if Shaq didn't get hurt, we were looking at another championship. They we're toying with some very good teams. Then Shaq got hurt, and the rest is history.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That season-opening 2011 team was arguably the deepest Celtics squad of the KG era. Shaq and Jermaine's health problems were a real bummer.

Favorite season was 1986. If you weren't old enough to see that season then missed watching the single greatest team in NBA history.

Luckily you would be able to see them for real in 1996:

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
That season-opening 2011 team was arguably the deepest Celtics squad of the KG era. Shaq and Jermaine's health problems were a real bummer.
I think, with a healthy Shaq, the Celtics could've won it all that season. KG was actually better that season than he had been the year before and 20 minutes per game of Shaq against the Miami Heat would've been huge.

Then it would've been the Bulls and Mavericks. Maybe they lose one of those series but I like what their chances would've been.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah exactly. Our first game against the Heat was a great illustration of how to beat them, and we were better built to do that any other team in the league.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline sh_touttahere

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I started watching the nba I think the year the lakers beat the magic, and I casually rooted for celtics for the next few seasons.

My favorite season would have to be the 2011-2012 because after that playoff run was when I decided I'd be a lifelong celtic fan

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Favorite season was 1986. If you weren't old enough to see that season then missed watching the single greatest team in NBA history.

Luckily you would be able to see them for real in 1996

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I agree, this group gave a 2 or 3 month clinic on how to play winning basketball. It was the last gasp for Shaq but he had enough to anchor the paint and control the pace. KG was on fire, trash talking like crazy, with "big daddy" backing him up lol. Rondo had mega targets to pass to. Pierce and Allen were always open.

I'm sure if Shaq didn't get hurt, we were looking at another championship. They we're toying with some very good teams. Then Shaq got hurt, and the rest is history.

Agreed. I started following the Celtics in 07-08 and obviously this playoff run and the championship are my best memory but right next to it, it has to be the 2010-2011 team. At least until Shaq got hurt and it turned out to be a sad remake of KG's injury report in 2009.

I liked this particular team so much that I decided to visit Boston (I'm from France) at that time, in December 2010, because I felt the Big Three could be split up the next summer and simply because it was an amazing team. The chance of watching them live only confirmed it!

My least favorite memory : 2010 Finals, game 7, by far. And then 2012 playoffs, only because I had checked out of the NBA and even the Celtics so I didn't get the chance to follow their last deep run and I'm still regretting it today.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Favorite-

86-87 season

The year before is arguably the greatest team of all time. However, this version was a team that showed so much resolve despite all it's injuries. We won in 7 games vs a very talented/underrated Milwaukee team coached by Don Nelson, won in 7 vs the up and coming Pistons, and lost in 6 vs the Lakers, a team that is considered one of the greatest teams of all time. All while dealing with McHale playing on a stress fracture and sprained ankle, Parish dealing with a badly sprained ankle, Walton who was injured and not even playing, and Ainge who was dealing with a pretty bad thigh bruise if memory serves. If game 3 of the Finals was any indication, it proved that had our 86 team played that 87 Lakers team it would've gone our way. Greg Kite did an incredible job on Abdul-Jabbar and brought size and toughness of our bench, something that we had the year before with Walton. Anyways, for all our injuries (mentioned above), Bias' death, KC Jones running our starters into the ground during the regular season, and not developing young bench players (Daye, Kite, Vincent, etc.) we still had a great season. One that included memorable moments like "Bird steals the ball", Parish KO vs Laimbeer, Magic's hook, Isiah's comments about Bird, Dantley and Johnson colliding heads in game 7 in the ECF, etc.

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Least Favorite seasons

Reggie Lewis death

or any season involving Dino Radja or Mark Blount, just brutal years..

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mid-late 90s (post McHale retirement) were rough to watch.  Even that '94-95 playoff team wasn't really an enjoyable bunch.  The M.L. Carr disaster following that.  Ugh...

I haven't even gone into the Pitino regime which pretty much speaks for itself.  Sadly, Pitino's first game was also his most memorable & it went all downhill from there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Because of the way they ended, my two least favorite seasons are 1973 & 2010.

Also because of the way they ended, my favorite seasons are 1969, 1974 & 1984.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce