Author Topic: Since becoming a celts fan, what are some of ur favorite/least favorite seasons?  (Read 6546 times)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Best was 1968-69 win in Russell's last season when they reached back  and took the Fakers one last time when they shouldn't have had a chance. Next favorite was 2007-08 when they beat the favored Lakers in one of the easiest 6 game series of all time. Loved how Pierce showed how great he was. Loved the blowout in game 6.

Worst. 1986-1987 when Bias died after the draft, McHale got injured and was never the same, and we lost to the greatest Laker team of all. The dynasty was over. Otherwise, any of the pure tank years.

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
2008, without a doubt. I was much younger for all previous wins I had seen and always expected the Celtics to do well. The way things came together in 2008 was amazing and I was so happy for The Truth, who deserved some success as a Celtic. Plus, I was going through tough times and the NBA finals arrived at the right time to cheer me up just as things were turning around.

Honourable mention to 2012 and 2010 (got excellent odds on the Celtics to win the NBA and fell short by a couple of baskets. Pretty exciting).

Last season was pretty good too.

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Not counting 2008 - duh

Favs:

1991 (first year as a fan)
2002 (have a podcast coming up dedicated to this season - covered it in my book as well)
2005 (first year as a season ticket holder - Gary Payton year)

Least fav:

2004 (John Carroll year - the worst, seemed like the team was so far away at that point)
1994 (year after Reggie death, complete waste of my time)
2013 (uninteresting and very boring team, very stale brand of basketball)
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Favorite: 1986 - I still believe that is the greatest team I've seen play.  The run they went on after the Christmas Day Massacre still amazes me.

Worst: 1987 - Coming off a championship and drafting #2 overall and getting Bias, I thought we were on our way to another ten years of utter dominance.  :-(  We made it to the finals with nothing left in the tank and somehow still took the Lakers to six.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
It surprises me that no one has really brought up the 08-09 season. Sure, KG getting injured was terrible, but starting off the year 27-2 was spectacular. Also, the series against Chicago is one if my all time favorites. The orlando one had its moments too. Ill never forget Big Baby pushing that poor kid after hitting the game winner :D

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Worst was 08-09 for me.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It surprises me that no one has really brought up the 08-09 season. Sure, KG getting injured was terrible, but starting off the year 27-2 was spectacular. Also, the series against Chicago is one if my all time favorites. The orlando one had its moments too. Ill never forget Big Baby pushing that poor kid after hitting the game winner :D

Some of us are much older and have a greater sampling to choose from.  I've been a fan since the early 70's and do remember some great and miserable times back then; such as the 78-79 season where they won 29 games or the 75-76 season that had one of the greatest finals games in the history of the NBA, a thrilling triple overtime game with Phoenix.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
My favorites:

'01-'02 was such fun ride.  Unexpected trip to the conference finals and still the greatest game atmosphere I've ever experienced in that 2nd half of Game 3 of the Nets series. 

'07-'08 was a magical season that will be very difficult to duplicate.  Starting with an electric opening night all the way through Game 6, the energy of that season was incredible. 

'90-91.  Kinda the last hurrah season for the Big Three.  Fun team that unfortunately got bounced too early.  Would've been fun to see the Celtics battle it out with the embryonic Bulls dynasty in the playoffs.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Personally, I enjoyed 09-10 up until the very end. The Magic series was a lot of fun, the Beat LA chants roaring through the TV. Then in the Finals we had the Bynum drama with him having his knee drained after every game. I thought we had it won that year, it was amazing until the end of Game 7.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The 2006-2007 season was when I became a fan. I watched nearly every single game.  It was incredibly entertaining, we were in almost every single game right to the end. Yeah, we lost 60 games that year, but it wasnt for lack of effort. All of our young guys play so well and we competed extremely hard every night.

My least favorite season was the year we got swept by the Knicks.  That was just utterly depressing.

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
and

stand out as among my favorites. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I become a fan during the '01-02 season when I was about 13. Of course, my house was always a Celtics house so I knew a fair amount about the team before that but I remember the Celtics chasing the Nets for the Atlantic title and getting into the playoffs big time.

'02-03 was, personally, a favorite of mine because after the Conference Finals appearance I really threw myself into the team, thinking it was nothing but blue skies ahead for us. Of course, the next bunch of years were a series of reality checks for me. So that made the '07-08 season pretty sweet when it all came together.

If I remember, the '06-07 season wasn't so bad because there was a sense of building toward something (with Big Al and Tony Allen and Delonte West and Gerald Green, who was so much fun to watch) but that '05-06 was wretched.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I was born in 1988, lived in Hawaii my entire life and have been a Celtics fan my entire life because of my dad.

Needless to say the Celtics weren't necessarily the storied franchise during my lifespan so I would have to say my favorite season was 2008 with last season being a distant second.

I am excited for the future with this nucleus.

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Fan since 1950's . Best were 1960's dynasty teams and the Bird,Mchale and Parish teams. Worst era 1977/78 and 1978/79 teams. New ownership almost destroyed the franchise. Losses of Len Byers and Reggie Smith kept other teams from growing to greatness.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Favorite season was 1986. If you weren't old enough to see that season then missed watching the single greatest team in NBA history. They were 40-1 at home. That team was routinely putting up 125+ point games, had I think 2 10+ game winning streaks and they breezed through the playoffs.

Least favorite season was 1997. M. L. Carr was GM and coach, tanked like crazy and was blatant about it, the C's won 15 games and then they weren't even rewarded for the tanking with the #1 pick and didn't get Tim Duncan.