Author Topic: Since becoming a celts fan, what are some of ur favorite/least favorite seasons?  (Read 6549 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
i didnt become a Celtics fan until the 01-02 season when i was 9, but that was one season that really stuck out in my mind. I knew little about the game of basketball until that years playoff run, but the tenacity and heart that the team showed, specifically in the 4th quarter comeback against NJ, sold me on the game of basketball for life. I think that was one moment that celtics fans can remember exactly where they were when it happened.

Obviously 07-08 was complete bliss. Witnessing aquiring two hall of famers, and going from 24 to 66 wins within a year is something thats hard to even put into words. Im still relatively young but im almost positive ill never get as much enjoyment from a season again.

The 2012 season, although shortned because of the lockout, was great. If it werent for the second worst officiating ive ever seen in a series (nothing will beat SAC/LA in 2002) the celts would have gone on to take out the thunder in the championship. I still dont think people fully appreciate Rajon Rondos performance in those playoffs.

04-05 was a fun one for me. I remember the absolute rampage the team went on when my boy Antoine returned, beating alot of great teams. I thoroughly enjoyed that season up until game 7 of the Indiana series. It was also one of my favorite Celtics rookie classes with Big Al, TA, and Delonte.

09-10 is one that i still have a tough time talking about.

12-13 might have been the worst for me. My thought process going into that season was that the team was one quarter away from the finals the previous year and now were adding Jeff Green and Avery Bradley. But that team dissapointed in every way possible. About 15 games into the season everyone pretty much knew it was just a farewell tour for KG +PP. You know its a bad season when you lose to the knicks in the 1st round. It was also a horrible seeing that slimeball Ray Allen hoist a trophy with my least favorite team ever.

06-07 sucked at the time but now i look back to it as just a pre cursor for getting The big 3 together.

03-04 was pretty bad. Getting swept by the pacers and seeing Chucky Atkins be our best player in that series was horrendous.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
This coming season is going to be one of my favorites.
We are going to surprise a lot of people.

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
This coming season is going to be one of my favorites.
We are going to surprise a lot of people.

I was thinking the same thing. the  rebuild hasnt been nearly as bad as i thought it would be, hence why i didnt put the any of the last 2 seasons in my least favorite category. Its fun having a young team out there who compete every night and can surprise anyone in the league. Its rare that a rebuilding team can say that. Good things are coming. TP for the optimisim!

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Even though we didn't end up winning, 2012 was probably my favorite season by far. Rondo was beasting, KG was experiencing a resurgence, and PP was his normal clutch self. That dagger three that he hit in James' face to seal game 5 in Miami is one of his all-time great moments. We were such a blue-collared team. I even went to the Eastern Conference Finals Game 4!

And I agree. That series was so lopsided in officiating between the blatant Rondo head slap in game 2 and the overly excessive technical fouls called against us. But, hey, we did foul out LBJ of his first playoff game that series!

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
fan since Bird's rookie year.

would probably go with 1984 as my favorite year based on getting to see the C's beat the Lakers for the title.

worst -- tough call.  the year under ML Carr, the time under Pitino right after that or maybe 1987 when the C's make an unbelievable effort getting to the finals but were just too banged up to win it.  knowing Mchale's injury would impact his career and the loss of Bias.  just a sad year.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hey man TP because the 01-02 Celtics were the first Celtics team I started watching and I was 9 too! Man that was a fun team even if they gave up Joe Johnson.

2008 was my favorite season, and it wasn't just because they won it all. It was because of the culture of their winning ways. Since 2002 I had never seen the Celtics be that good. 2008 blew my mind because I got to see a team that I rooted for actually play for a championship. It wasn't just that they were a contender. It was that they all believed and loved each other. Anytime someone got knocked down, their teammates had their back. Anytime someone got out of hand, their teammates talked some sense into them. They played every game that season feeling like they had something to prove (And they should have because I remember all the doubters in 2008). The Celtics shut everyone up, had the biggest turnaround in NBA history, and lived up to all the ridiculous hype. KG finally got his ring and escaped the "once-in-a-generation player who would never win" label. Paul finally became the leader of the franchise that went from being a doormat his rookie year to a champion. Ray finally showed the world he deserved to be put in the discussion of top 10 shooting guards ever. Doc finally showed the world he was a great coach. Then there was the development of our blooming youngsters (Rondo, Powe, Big Baby) and the play of our vets (Posey, PJ, Eddie). I loved every second of it

The 2008 Celtics were like something out of a book. What a magical season. I'd say who my least favorite Celtics team is but I'm going to bed.

Good night yall!

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
favorite season was the championship season of 08.

least favorite was probably the year before we ended up with Marcus Smart. It was the year we said goodbye to Pierce+KG and while I understand why those moves were made, as a fan, that year still felt empty. We ended up with Olynyk when I wanted DA to draft Giannis. And outside of Bradley (and maybe Sully), there was no likable guy on that roster.

- LilRip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Easy for me, the Pitino years were a disaster to me.  My favorite seasons are with Bird and McHale but 2008 was special as well.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Favorite regular 2012

Favorite playoffs 2010

Least favorite regular season 2013

Least favorite playoffs 2011
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Favorite regular 2012

Favorite playoffs 2010

Least favorite regular season 2013

Least favorite playoffs 2011

Ugghh, that was definitely a painful year to watch. You could just tell it was over, and we couldn't just get over the hump anymore. It was sad seeing them all look so old. I still remember the day they announced Rondo's injury.

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Favorite from start to finish has to be the championship year, 07-08.  That season had so much hype going into it and rightfully so, and unlike the first year of the Lebron/Wade/Bosh era in Miami, the Celtics lived up to the hype right from the get-go.  It was perfect defensive, team basketball in every sense of the word. 

A close second would probably be the '11-'12 season, with taking the Heat to 7 games when everyone, myself included, thought that'd series go 5 at best.  It's also the last time we saw Rajon Rondo playing at an elite level, and I remember thinking that despite losing that series, that was his coming out party as an elite superstar point guard...oops.

My least faves are probably 05-06 and 06-07.  There was nothing particularly interesting or special about that 2005 team and overall they were rather unlikeable.  Guys like Tony Allen, Big Al, and Perk were still really raw and developing, Mark Blount and Ricky Davis were really starting to wear out their welcome, guys like Raef LaFrentz and Orien Greene were playing meaningful minutes, they only won 33 games...it was just an ugly season. 

And then obviously for 06-07, an 18-game losing streak is never fun. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:46:11 AM by mahonedog88 »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Least favorites:

93-94.  Reggie had just passed away.  Bird and McHale were gone.  Parish was the only one of the championship gang left, and he had to slog through the first losing season I ever saw as a Celtics fan.

98-99.  Antoine came back from the lockout season in awful shape.  None of the vets listened to pitino.  That off-season he made that awful deal where he traded a lotto pick for Vitaly Potato.  This was the season I realized that the Pitino era was gonna be a dud.

02-03.  The team still made the playoffs, but it was obvious by now that this was a capstrapped team that had no real shot to make the finals, let alone win it all, and we were saddled with an awful owner (Gaston) and an overmatched GM (Wallace).

12-13.  The first season it was obvious that the big three era was over.  The Celtics had to give it one more try after the 2012 playoff run where Boston took Miami to 7 games in the ECF, but by 2013 the writing was on the wall.

Favorite teams:

90-91.  The first Celtics team that I remember following closely.  That was so hot to start the year.  30-6 or something like that?  If only we hadn't blown that 1989 1st rounder on Michael Smith and gotten someone that could actually contribute. 

01-02.  Sure, my pragmatic side told me this team had no shot of winning it all, but man oh man, had I missed playoff basketball.  And there were so many good games in all three series for the C's that year.

07-08.  Duh.

09-10.  That playoff run was so awesome.  So many had written them off after their lackluster regular season.  that second round dismantling of Cleveland is one of my favorite sports memories.  If only they could've beaten the Lakers.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've been a fan since birth, but 1997 is when I started to understand what was really going on with this team.  So since then here's my favorite/least favorite.

Favorite:  2008 was magical.  Easy choice.

Least favorite:  I got my most disgruntled in 2012-13.  That was a team without a direction.  Ray was gone.  KG and Pierce were struggling on a .500 also-ran.   We had no elite young players.  Our draft pick wasn't projected high.  We were well on our way to getting beaten down in round 1.  There wasn't a lot to be happy about.  There wasn't much hope.   It was just a crummy situation.  I had wanted Danny to blow it up for well over a year... it felt like a wasted season.   We had overachieved our way to the ECF the year before, but from my perspective we had stopped being legitimate contenders in 2010-11 with the loss of Perk and Shaq. 

At least in 2007 we had hope.   In 2013-14, we had hope.    Last year we had hope.   2012-13 was garbage.   It's incredible that Ainge was able to get any assets out of KG and Pierce at that stage. 

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
05-06 was my least favorite. didnt like 12-13 as well, but not as much as 05-06.

Favorite was 02 and 08. Last year was fun as well

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Seasons it's hard to say; but players, Jordan Crawford will always have a place in my <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_f4i2YuwIM