Author Topic: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion  (Read 42699 times)

Re: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Due to people thinking I abandoned a "crap roster" to hurt the league, and now that the commish has resolved the league issues, I have decided to return, and the commish has approved my return. I am proud of my roster, but I realize many people will not appreciate the rebuild I was constructing, so I am back to manage it.

If we can all maintain respect between each other for a few more years, I expect to kick all your butts two seasons from now when my roster matures  ;D
Yay!!! Glad ur back buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Due to people thinking I abandoned a "crap roster" to hurt the league, and now that the commish has resolved the league issues, I have decided to return, and the commish has approved my return. I am proud of my roster, but I realize many people will not appreciate the rebuild I was constructing, so I am back to manage it.

If we can all maintain respect between each other for a few more years, I expect to kick all your butts two seasons from now when my roster matures  ;D

Thanks Birdman, your message and messages from other GMs convinced me to return, I look forward to dealing with you again !!

I was sincere when I had left that I believe in my roster, I'm glad to have it back in my hands.

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'll go ahead and make a suggested amendment especially since we're facing the possible addition of 2 new GMs soon:

New GM Trading Moratorium (new article)
-------------------------------
8. Upon joining or rejoining the league, new GMs must wait 2 months before trading either their own 1st round pick or any top 50 player (by O-Rank) on their roster.

I proposed this in the h2h league last year and it got a majority vote (9-6) but failed to get a quorum (something we may try and change in the next const. convention). I still feel really strongly about it and think it could avoid new teams coming in and making lopsided deals that precipitate flame wars, which we need no more of.

I'll just quote my comments from then -- rather than re-hash it... b/c I think the discussion we had --- time moratorium vs. league-approval of new GM trades -- is still is relevant:

(for the uninitiated, read from the inside out... sorry for the 4-level quote)

I'm gonna spitball something here:

A moratorium on new GMs trading either their 1st rounder or any top 50 player (by O-ranK) for 2 months upon joining the league.

----------

we've seen this be a much bigger problem in the Pts. league, but in a dynasty format the worst thing is a new GM gutting his team (wittingly or unwittingly), IMO.

I'm in favor of this, or potentially a much stricter threshold for review? Any new GM trading a lottery pick or top 50 player in their first two months must have the trade approved by 70% of the league?

I would second Wiggle's proposal, at least the gist of it - I don't really like flatout banning trading good assets, but a higher bar for approval would add some training wheels to new ownership.  70% might be hard since it's hard to get 70% of the league to vote on anything in the offseason.

personally I'd just like to tell a new GM that they have to wait 2 months (or whatever) than get into a case-by-case review of their trades -- which makes it more subjective and therefore messy in my experience.

If a trade is good enough now, it should be there in 2 months.

1. this is a dynasty league not a redraft league so you don't need to move as quickly as in a redraft/keeper league. Conversely rash decisions last forever here that are wiped away in a league that you can keep (for example) 4 players...

2. the goal, IMO, of this rule is to force a new GM to (a) look at value of his assets/players, (b) give him time to get a number of offers (and hopefully the best return) and/or announce he's looking to move players X, Y, Z.

3. voting on value of players/trades as opposed to setting (even) arbitrary levels gets messy.

I remember my first trade (Biedrins (coming off his best season) for Jason Richardson) was panned by most of the league. I don't want to tell GMs what trades are good or bad, i just don't want them selling the farm the first week.

I like the idea, and think it's a pretty good one.  I'll second the general idea.  The one thing that makes me uncomfortable is it could screw over the guy if his "top 50" player gets hurt, removing trade value.  As has been noted in other contexts, that just may be the way it is, and the risk they have to take.  But I think, with that concern, the "higher trade bar" suggestions that others gave in response to your trade could make sense to implement.  [I don't know if any of what I said actually makes sense or not.]

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
While I respect the hardwork you put in as commish, I just want to to be known that I am not for the censorship of anybody in these threads and as long as LB33 is willing to do so respectfully and on topic I personally welcome his contributions as well as anybody elses.

It was a mutual and hopefully temporary measure, so "censorship" it not quite accurate. In any case, I think we found a workable solution without anyone leaving the league.

Honestly I'm not sure how to gauge some of these things with this group. Multiple GMs have gone to level 10 p---ed over recent events, but then disagree with any sort of official action. I think this was a reasonable compromise.

Onwards, upwards, forward...

« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Thanks Birdman, your message and messages from other GMs convinced me to return, I look forward to dealing with you again !!

I was sincere when I had left that I believe in my roster, I'm glad to have it back in my hands.

Welcome back, man. Sorry for the timing of confirming your departure but glad to still have you.

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Welcome back, man. Sorry for the timing of confirming your departure but glad to still have you.

Thanks Commish, I think you've done an excellent job handling a very difficult situation. I'm excited to be part of the league moving forward.

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I've seen a few people now and then list waiver wire position as a trade asset. I think this is an interesting option, but where do we stand on it officially? Is it allowed, and if so, how do we execute it? For example, if it is done through Yahoo by giving the GM with the better waiver wire position the name of the player you want, that GM then is forced to drop a player they may potentially want to keep in order to open a roster spot to pick up the player the other GM asked for, just to be able to trade him. On top of that, the GM then ends up with the #20 waiver wire position rather than whatever position the other GM he traded with had. What do people think about this?

« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did you do that once with Kostas P? I don't remember

« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2015, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

I was part of that trade. Had #3 waiver priority and got an offer - basically a list of 3 guys i could grab in order to pick up Lou Williams in a deal. Kostas P was the #1 option, I got him via waivers (dropping a guy I would have dropped anyway), and then shipped him out via a normal trade. Wasn't too complicated.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I was part of that trade. Had #3 waiver priority and got an offer - basically a list of 3 guys i could grab in order to pick up Lou Williams in a deal. Kostas P was the #1 option, I got him via waivers (dropping a guy I would have dropped anyway), and then shipped him out via a normal trade. Wasn't too complicated.

Yep. I was ok with that procedure. Some people are reluctant to move waiver wire positions because they have to drop a player to do so, and then end up with #20 instead of whatever position the team they are trading with has.

Basically, do we want to create a rule that allows GMs to trade the waiver wire priority spot for an asset in the offseason, and/or during the season, outside of Yahoo without giving up a player that would otherwise be needed to make it work, i.e. they change waiver priorities with the other team, then the other team drops a player to use the waiver priority ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:31:12 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Yep. I was ok with that procedure. Some people are reluctant to move waiver wire positions because they have to drop a player to do so, and then end up with #20 instead of whatever position the team they are trading with has.

Basically, do we want to create a rule that allows GMs to trade the waiver wire priority spot for an asset in the offseason, and/or during the season, outside of Yahoo without giving up a player that would otherwise be needed to make it work, i.e. they change waiver priorities with the other team, then the other team drops a player to use the waiver priority ?
My natural inclination on this one is to not fix what isn't broken. Also I think that would sorta force our commish to do extra work rearranging waivers orders and whatnot, which could subject it to human error, blah blah

« Reply #191 on: August 03, 2015, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

My natural inclination on this one is to not fix what isn't broken. Also I think that would sorta force our commish to do extra work rearranging waivers orders and whatnot, which could subject it to human error, blah blah

Agreed.  I like the current operations of this rule.

« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just got done reading as much of the thread as I could.

A) Nobody contacted me about joining an alternative secret shadow league. I'm really hurt by this. Is this because of the flapjack incident? Cuz that was totally not my fault. That stupid Monkey was supposed to be able to perform a pirouette on cue. Pirouette. Not a Tour en l'air. Not my fault.

B) Unrelated, but isn't this how WWI started? Didn't Franz Ferdinand like try to start a separate Scheilinkrugle league but the Serbians thought that was pretty crappy and so they had the Albanians shoot him during a hot dog eating contest? I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but this suddenly seems like unnecessarily high-stakes gaming here, and I'm not ready to broker an alliance between the UK and France right now.

3) In regards to all non-personal stuff, I do think that making a rule for activity isn't wise. Honestly, just the 75 games missed rule should be enough. If they miss too many games, have Byennie attempt to contact, and make a ruling. If people want to work their players and aren't missing games, but don't have any interest in posting here or making trades, let em have their fun their way.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #193 on: August 10, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
While I respect the hardwork you put in as commish, I just want to to be known that I am not for the censorship of anybody in these threads and as long as LB33 is willing to do so respectfully and on topic I personally welcome his contributions as well as anybody elses.

It was a mutual and hopefully temporary measure, so "censorship" it not quite accurate. In any case, I think we found a workable solution without anyone leaving the league.

Honestly I'm not sure how to gauge some of these things with this group. Multiple GMs have gone to level 10 p---ed over recent events, but then disagree with any sort of official action. I think this was a reasonable compromise.

Onwards, upwards, forward...

I know how this feels, and I agree with Rondo at the same time. You're trying to please everyone, that's hard. But you also want to do what's right. And that's hard. Being in charge is  hard. TP.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner