Author Topic: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion  (Read 43082 times)

Re: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2015, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
If it's important to you guys that I stop suggesting rules in the rule suggestion thread, I will stop.
Your original 6 suggestions had 5 worthwhile ones. Then you went in a very different direction.
I had a bunch in mind today that were similar and would cut down on drama.  I understand that vetos are a sensitive subject but it's worth voting on.  I didn't mean to get anyone riled up.  I was more just thinking of a lot of similar ideas at once.  I've long been against vetos in fantasy basketball and since we are talking rules, it's a good time to bring it up.

Look guys I get that there's been some back and forth that I've been involved in and I don't want my enthusastic participation in this league to negatively impact someone's enjoyment of it.  I'll stop publicly suggesting rules and I'll try not to respond to every comment that I have a valid opinion on.

Tp's for everyone.  I'm pumped for the season!

Nobody is asking you to stop making suggestions or stop responding. All we ask is you respect us when we do the same.  We welcome your opinions
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Thanks kev. TP. Good luck this season. Excited to see how much both of our teams improve.  I continue to be very impressed with every move you make. 

Just a note, I'm pretty comfortable with the rules as-is. I do understand the interest in vetos.  I was against them long before I joined this league. Luckily they have been used fairly and sparingly in this league since I've been involved. I just know that some had mentioned raising the votes from 7 to 10 or just leaving it to the commish to enforce suspected collusion.

The ones I have suggested are the only ones I can remember seeing suggested over the past couple years.  I'll bow out of the thread for now.

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Thanks kev. TP. Good luck this season. Excited to see how much both of our teams improve.  I continue to be very impressed with every move you make. 

Just a note, I'm pretty comfortable with the rules as-is. I do understand the interest in vetos.  I was against them long before I joined this league. Luckily they have been used fairly and sparingly in this league since I've been involved. I just know that some had mentioned raising the votes from 7 to 10 or just leaving it to the commish to enforce suspected collusion.

The ones I have suggested are the only ones I can remember seeing suggested over the past couple years.  I'll bow out of the thread for now.

Raising the number required for a veto is not possible on yahoo unfortunately.  It was suggested in the H2H league as well
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
A number of GMs have asked me to do this , to, in their words, "save the league"

The ongoing problems in the current Fantasy Basketball Points League has resulted in a number of GMs losing their enjoyment of the league and wishing for the old days. They have asked me privately to set up a new league that will be identical to the current league, minus at least one member who has been universally deemed the cause of the ongoing issues. The league will run on the exact same system and rules, with a commissioner to be named, and only one rule change: The commissioner will have the authority to remove any GM for behavioral problems after 3 strikes to maintain the integrity and enjoyment of the league.

Their complaints range from being bullied, manipulated, harassed , continuously offended and deceived, and this continued behavior has taken all the fair competitiveness and enjoyment out of the league they love.

Our other option of course, would be to remove said person from the current league and continue on here, but if anyone wants to do that, please go ahead and make your point known here. I am not up for naming anyone right now myself, just doing what I was asked to do to save the league.

« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Woah woah woah.

Rather than a shadowy organization let's see some names.

I'd much rather just a list of like ...idk....5 guys publicly say "Can't live like this. Him or me."

I'm not cool with anonymous sources. Never have been. Never will be. Call my a hypocrite if you like.

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2015, 09:23:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Names will come when each person gets around to posting about it. Most have checked out for now but asked me to get the process started. I think the majority would prefer to see said person get removed and continue on but don't see that happening without huge drama and forum suspensions and are just tired of it all.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:48:00 AM by hpantazo »

« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Our other option of course, would be to remove said person from the current league and continue on here, but if anyone wants to do that, please go ahead and make your point known here. I am not up for naming anyone right now myself, just doing what I was asked to do to save the league.

No.  The commissioner has removed one member from our league already.  There has not been cause to remove anyone else. 

« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
In the meantime, I respectfully resign from this league, as it is no longer enjoyable and takes too much effort for dealing with the ongoing junk that comes with it, and imo the current commissioner has not handled things well.

Good luck, and goodbye.

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hi guys,

If there is truly a contingency of GMs looking to leave and form a new league, it would behoove them, I think, to state their desires to me privately so that I can weigh options.

I already removed one GM and I am actively talking to multiple people privately about possible resolution. If you are considering leaving, please do me the courtesy and contact me to discuss it.

« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
In the meantime, I respectfully resign from this league, as it is no longer enjoyable and takes too much effort for dealing with the ongoing junk that comes with it, and imo the current commissioner has not handled things well.

Good luck, and goodbye.

Thanks for spending exactly zero time working with me offline to improve the situation, engaging in a flame war 2 days after I started new threads, and then starting up a rival league to poach our members away.

Meanwhile I have an inbox full and am trying to resolve things with other GMs. To those just "listening", please reach out. I am speaking with about 1/3rd of the league right now and there's no reason why we can't get this fixed.

« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Since Harry just made it public, I guess I can address it from my perspective.   He warned me of a mutiny last night where "many" other GM's had privately discussed with him starting a new league that doesn't involve me.

I wasn't sure how to take that, because it was similar to comments BFM made (in between insulting my mother or accusing me of being in a graphic homosexual relationship with Roy Hobbs).  He claimed that at least 6 members of the league wanted me gone.   He never gave me names and I was a little puzzled by it. 

The reason I'm puzzled by it is because unless the majority of the league is two-faced, it doesn't make a lot of sense.  I've continued to have productive and friendly conversations with essentially every member of this league.   I've had trade discussions with every member of this league this summer aside from 1 GM (ChampKind) who specifically asked me to stop sending him offers.  Members such as Gainsville and Harry have told me that I need to do a better job of keeping track of my trade offers... so I've taken steps to do just that.   I'm absolutely willing to avoid sending offers to anyone who requests that. 

If there's specific issues about me that you guys want me to change, please tell me so I can take steps to fix that behavior.  I genuinely feel I've been unfairly criticized in a number of ways, though.   Harry, yesterday you suggested:

You are consistently at the core of every problem that occurs in this league.

That's simply not true.  THere were slapfights and vetoes well before I joined the league.   THere were were flame wars regarding members of this league before I was even recruited.  I acknowledge that I'm generally involved in every discussion in this league, but it's because I'm arguably the most public, vocal and opinionated person here.   That kind of spreads to CelticsBlog in general.  I have 14,000+ posts to prove it.  I'm always around.  I am enthusiastic about this league and extremely engaged in what's happening here.   What we have here is somewhat a self-selecting bias.  Of course I'm "involved" in every of drama, because I'm "involved" in literally everything to do with this league.  It would be like blaming the league itself as the common denominator in league issues.    This goes for trades as well.   I've pulled off 100s of trades in this league.   18 of the 39 trades this summer have involved my team.  Law of averages suggests that I have better odds of pulling off a trades that upsets people simply because of the amount of trades I'm pulling off.    ChampKind, who has made literally 2 trades in the past 2 seasons, is very unlikely to make a trade that upsets people.   Bada Bing, who seems to only visit these threads once a month, is very unlikely to be at the center of any league drama.     I'm here and I'm active. 

Harry, you say: 

Their complaints range from being bullied, manipulated, harassed , continuously offended and deceived, and this continued behavior has taken all the fair competitiveness and enjoyment out of the league they love.

Bullied:   I'm not sure how that's possible if generally my opinion is in the minority.  This thread is a great example.  I suggested a couple rules regarding vetos.  It was unanimously shot down by eja, rondo2287 and harry. 

Manipulated:  Can we clarify what you are talking about?  If it's in regards to trades, that's completely unfair.   The whole point of this league is to pull off trades and improve your team.  I've long suspected that BFM turned on me after the John Wall trade.  Of course he'd never admit that.  He gave me his top 2 projected pick, Otto Porter Jr and Terrence Ross for John Wall.  I then succeeded in trading away his pick before BFM managed to trade away his dozens of picks and shoot up the standings.  I also managed to move Ross for Nerlens Noel and a top 10 projected pick... a move he protested.     It can be argued that I "manipulated" him into giving me players with a perceived lack of value and then cashed them in for more.  Others could argue that I "manipulated" them into trading away high draft picks.   But if this is your reason for leaving the league or throwing me out, you're literally trying to remove me because I'm succeeding at the game.

Offended: I generally treat everyone I talk to with respect.  Trade discussions can get heated, but I'm never personally insulting anyone.   I should admit that I was suspended 10 days for a specific comment I made in the old thread.   It was a fair suspension and I agreed with it.  I can't remember any other time I've made a personal insult.  If we're talking about my valuation of players... like my half-joking comments last month about Parsons being worth a 2nd rounder, we should specify that.  If lowball offers or undervaluing of players is what you mean by "offended", there is a fair point here.  I've sent lowball offers.  I've publicly and privately undervalued players.  That's part of the game, though.   I encouraged adding a rule yesterday that would prevent public comments on opposing team's players, but the suggestion was shot down quickly. 

Harassed: Anyone who would like me to stop sending them trade offers, just let me know.  I assume that's what you mean by "harassed".  I have that agreement with ChampKind.  Beyond that, I don't know what you could be referring to. 

Deceived:   Again, is this in regards to me pulling off trades?   Are the members who supposedly want to quit literally quitting, because they don't like me pulling off good trades?   This is the equivalent of throwing over the monopoly board after your annoying little brother acquires Boardwalk and Park Place.  Yes, my team is likely a championship contender next season.   Do you want me removed because of it?

Fair Competitiveness:   I don't get that one at all.   Are you saying I'm too good at the game and shouldn't be allowed to continue playing in this league, because it's unfair?

Enjoyment:   ChampKind stops by every once in a while to point out how little fun he's having.   I don't know how to really deal with that.   These threads aren't mandatory reading.  The league is as active as it's ever been.  I still find this game pretty darn entertaining and I know others do as well.

In addition to those, I'll point out the other concerns that BFM privately said to me. 

Lying:  Specify what you mean by this.  If it's in regards to player value, I always provide real stats or real fantasy values.  If I refer to Alexey Shved as a potential future star based on his end-of-month stats and then he ends up in Russia, I understand your frustration... but are you accusing me of being a liar now?   Literally every good GM in this league participates in some form of "pimping".   This is a practice that long predates my involvement.

COllusion:   A couple people seem to privately allude to some kind of secret handshake agreement between myself and Fitz.  Guys... Fitz was part of this league before I joined.  I was recruited by BFM to join this league.   Fitz is some dude who lives in Austrailia.    Some people think he didn't know what he was doing... fine.... but he traded away Kevin Durant before I joined this league.   I wasn't involved in that drama.  What are you suggesting?... that Fitz and I are the same person?  That we are related?  That I was dropping subliminal hints on Celticsblog manipulating BFM to send me a private message to recruit me into a league I had my good buddy Fitz in already? 

Cheating: He never explained how he believed I had "cheated".  If someone believes I have cheated, they should point out how.   There was a time last year where someone suggested me as a candidate for the commish position.  I would never take over a commish position for this very reason.  In every league I join, I tend to pull off trades that inevitably upset people.  I wouldn't want people thinking that my involvement as a commish gave me an unfair advantage.  If some are suggesting I "cheated" by pulling off a trade with the new guy... it should be pointed out that Diggles was a member of this league for a couple months before he finally made a trade.   He turned down numerous offers from me (and others) for Melo, Bledsoe and Teague.  Others had communicated with him... I just happened to be the first to succeed in a trade.

I'll offer up a couple more of my own.

Over Enthusiasm:  This is true and if resolving this just requires me to stop making so many comments and lengthy posts, I'll do my best to have less opinions and be less involved.  This thread is a good example... it's a thread about rule discussions so I suggested some rules we could discuss.   Did my amount of suggestions anger anyone?

Too many trades:   In general, my team is reaching a place that I wanted it to reach.  I was aggressive in trying to put together a contender and I have accomplished that.  My team might be the favorite this year.  I imagine you'll be seeing far less trades from me heading forward simply because there's less work to be done with my roster.   When I joined the league, it was believed it was impossible to ever put together a team that could contend with Pitts/Utah.  I set out with the goal of disproving that.  I'm sorry if my over-enthusiasm turned people off.   I've tried to adhere to any personal requests to stop sending trades.   

Everyone, I want to do everything I can possibly do to be a part of this league and adhere to whatever guidelines you guys need me to follow.  But it's hard to know who I'm speaking to when there's a secret mutiny organization made up of people who privately seem to get along with me.    I can go down the list of 20 GM's on by one and try to apologize for whatever I suspect you are unhappy about. 

Pitts:   I talk to him all the time.  I can't imagine he's part of the mutiny.
Ubuntu:   We were involved in trade discussions yesterday that went south.  He's given me good advice and I appreciate it.
Juggs: I talk to him online occasionally about trades.   We've made multiple trades this summer.
Ya'll Hate:  I talk to him all of the time about trades.  We seem to get along fine.
Tyrion's Team:  Eja didn't like my method of dicussing trades with him so I've taken steps to improve our communication.  From my perspective, we seem to be getting along far better.
Bada Bing:   I talked with him about a trade yesterday.   It seemed to go fine.
Utah Flash:   He's given me good advice privately.  I haven't heard from him for a while, but he said he was closing shop for the summer.
DD: N/A... but if he's your source, I think you should reconsider your source.
Birdman:   We made a trade a couple days ago.   I've asked him multiple times to let me know if my many offers bother him, but he seems to encourage me bidding against myself.
ChampKind:  He's asked me to stop sending him trades so I have.
Webskins: We talked about a trade yesterday.  We seem to get along fine.
Brahma: We've made two major trades this summer.  He disappears for weeks at a time.  I would be really surprised if he was part of the mutiny group.
Kwhit10: Talked with him about a trade yesterday.  We seem to get along fine.
Lucky Strikes:  Talked with him about a trade a couple days ago.  He said he reads the threads, but just has been busy.  I've never had a problem with Indeed and would be shocked if he was part of the Mutiny.
Dirty Digs: Talked with him about a trade yesterday.  We seem to get along fine.
Jackalopes: byennie obviously isn't part of the mutiny
Bellevue:   I'm obviously not involved in the mutiny
#lovetotrade:  I see Kevin as my greatest rival in this league, but any time we butt heads, I take as good-natured competitiveness.  We seem to get along in private conversations, though I need to do a better job of not wasting his time with trade offers.
MMSB: I talk to MMSB all the time about trades.  Would be very surprised if he was part of the mutiny as he has never voiced any concerns directly to me.
Toines Boys: Harry, a couple days ago you started speaking on behalf of BFM and now you are quitting.   We've always gotten along fine.  If there's something I have specifically done to you, please let me know so I can address it.  I've done my best to give you clarity into what happened here last month.  I hope you reconsider about your resignation. 

I'd prefer not to leave this league right on the cusp of my team becoming a contender.   If there's a way to resolve these concerns beyond removing me or all-out mutiny, I'm very willing to adhere to whatever you guys collectively require.   If it's simply about silencing my voice in the forums, that an easy thing to fix.  I'll shut up and stop making public comments.   If it's about me making good trades, what do you propose the solution for that is?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:25:30 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

Good luck, and goodbye.

Really? Come on.

What effort do you really have put in for all this 'junk.'  The effort you put in is totally up to you.  You don't have to respond to any of things that go on at all in the off season.  During the season you basically only have to set your lineup, decline trade offers, and make some silent votes in the yahoo message board.

Yea you get people you try to loophole their way around everything, take the same approach to rule suggestion as they do to the millions of random trade offers.  But you can easily just ignore that stuff.

I see all the crap that goes on with a handful of people and choose to ignore it and be silent.  I go about my business.  I post here and there on who is available on my team and just let things happen.   You don't see me bringing any of this on my plate by responding to every little thing.

And it's also funny because I remember when you first joined the league Harry, you were all gung-ho in making trades and rule proposals and eventually you calmed down a bit. 

Sorry you made this choice, but c'est la vie.

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
This is the last post I will make regarding anything related to this league, as I have happily quit. Per Roy's suggestion , who I greatly respect, and the suggestions of some of the other GMs who want the new league, we are moving the new league off celticsblog , and it does not have to be an alternative to this league, and do not want to interfere or cause drama with your league. If interested to join, contact me. Otherwise, good luck.

Byennie, I said what I have to say to you in the PM I sent. It is honest, respectful, and reflects feelings of other GMs. Do with that info as you wish, but it is meant with the sincere intention to help you and your league going forward. I sincerely hope you guys solve your issues and do well, I just don't enjoy all of this , my free time is meant to be spent on enjoyable activities of which this no longer is, and prefer to find greener pastures.

LB33, I don't personally wish you any ill will, you have your good points and are a very intelligent guy, I just don't like what you've turned this league into, purposefully or not, and don't want to spend my free time on this anymore.

« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
Byennie, I said what I have to say to you in the PM I sent. It is honest, respectful, and reflects feelings of other GMs. Do with that info as you wish, but it is meant with the sincere intention to help you and your league going forward. I sincerely hope you guys solve your issues and do well, I just don't enjoy all of this , my free time is meant to be spent on enjoyable activities of which this no longer is, and prefer to find greener pastures.

I wish you the best, no actual hard feelings. My only objection directed at you is that I'm dealing with unnamed GMs and discussions I'm not privy to. I get 1 or 2 people claiming that everyone is upset and speaking for them. Makes it rather hard for the commish to act, when I don't actually hear from people directly, and then suddenly a whole contingency is leaving. It undermines the league, whether intentional, accidental, justified, etc...

In any case, I'm working towards resolutions.

« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I wish you the best, no actual hard feelings. My only objection directed at you is that I'm dealing with unnamed GMs and discussions I'm not privy to. I get 1 or 2 people claiming that everyone is upset and speaking for them. Makes it rather hard for the commish to act, when I don't actually hear from people directly, and then suddenly a whole contingency is leaving. It undermines the league, whether intentional, accidental, justified, etc...

In any case, I'm working towards resolutions.

Thanks byennie. I know it's a tough situation, no one envies your task, you've been given quite a handful to deal with. I wish you the best of luck in resolving it.