Author Topic: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion  (Read 42689 times)

Re: CBPL Offseason 2015 Rules Discussion
« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2015, 09:05:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Similar, but different suggestion here that we can add to the growing list of rule suggestions for the ballot:

Rule suggestion: Making disparaging comments about another team's player is not permitted. 

Reason: This is a major source of drama for the league.  You might see Danny Ainge comment that LeBron James is a "heck of a basketball player", but Ainge would absolutely be fined if he said, "That Ty Lawson is a knucklehead and his trade value is worthless".   No team should be permitted to make negative comments about a player they don't own.  This includes comments about a player's "worth", injury history or character.  Nothing good comes from it.
I'll probably be voting against all these types of bizarre and barely enforceable rule suggestions.   What next? A prohibition on coveting another guy's player?

« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Similar, but different suggestion here that we can add to the growing list of rule suggestions for the ballot:

Rule suggestion: Making disparaging comments about another team's player is not permitted. 

Reason: This is a major source of drama for the league.  You might see Danny Ainge comment that LeBron James is a "heck of a basketball player", but Ainge would absolutely be fined if he said, "That Ty Lawson is a knucklehead and his trade value is worthless".   No team should be permitted to make negative comments about a player they don't own.  This includes comments about a player's "worth", injury history or character.  Nothing good comes from it.
I'll probably be voting against all these types of bizarre and barely enforceable rule suggestions.   What next? A prohibition on coveting another guy's player?

I confess I am guilty of this sin often!

« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm an active member of this league and arguably the most public. It makes sense that I'm involved in the majority of discussions.   I don't need to be berated for suggesting rule amendments, though. Rule suggestions are literally the purpose of this thread.

Having your position opposed is not berated,  as you said this thread is for discussions nobody is dissuading your from discussing

Discussions also involve back and forth and exchange of ideas among multiple parties
TP, I agree. I just don't want to see this spiral out of control.

It will be good to vote on this stuff. I know pitts isn't on this forum, but he's been against vetos for a long time.  My guess is the amendment will not pass, but it will be good to have it voted on properly.

The other suggestions will certainly help with preventing a lot of the drama before it starts. A lot of discussions get heated over perceived trade value.  I'm guilty of this in the past when I made negative comments about parsons.  We should end that behavior by voting on an official rule. 

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I'm an active member of this league and arguably the most public. It makes sense that I'm involved in the majority of discussions.   I don't need to be berated for suggesting rule amendments, though. Rule suggestions are literally the purpose of this thread.

Having your position opposed is not berated,  as you said this thread is for discussions nobody is dissuading your from discussing

Discussions also involve back and forth and exchange of ideas among multiple parties
TP, I agree. I just don't want to see this spiral out of control.

It will be good to vote on this stuff. I know pitts isn't on this forum, but he's been against vetos for a long time.  My guess is the amendment will not pass, but it will be good to have it voted on properly.

The other suggestions will certainly help with preventing a lot of the drama before it starts. A lot of discussions get heated over perceived trade value.  I'm guilty of this in the past when I made negative comments about parsons.  We should end that behavior by voting on an official rule. 

I'm tired if feeling like I have to walk on eggshells about expressing my opinion.  It's not fair to anybody in the league to feel like they can't speak honestly.  I am not a bad person but I am constantly checking 'my opinions at the door.  I have edited probably 7 posts over the past 48 hours saying to myself.  Could anybody possibly take offense to this?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Disagree with any rules that limit a player's ability to name their team, talk about trades, talk about vetoes, disagree with trades, or confines participants to all having the same haircut (the Johnny U High and Tight), purposefully ejects any manager whose favorite color is orange, passes a resolution that the members of One Direction *aren't* adorable, suggests that ALF should have been canceled, or believes that Corona is a drinkable beer.

Some of these rules out here are straight from the Fun Police Miranda Rights. I will never not be amazed at the league's ability to take an entertaining game and turn it into a debate club where the winning side is the one that successfully gnaws off their own hands the fastest.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2015, 09:15:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Thats the only rule suggestions i have at the moment.  Maybe it's best to forward suggestions to byennie directly and let him decide which to put to an actual vote.  It seems any discussion about rules is going to result in a bias based on who is publicly suggesting the rule. 

« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Thats the only rule suggestions i have at the moment.  Maybe it's best to forward suggestions to byennie directly and let him decide which to put to an actual vote.  It seems any discussion about rules is going to result in a bias based on who is publicly suggesting the rule.

I disagree.  It seems like rules that are suggested that definitively favor the suggestor have been challenged and other have also been talked about for their pros and cons in a constructive manor

Please don't make me feel wrong or less than for expressing my opinion.  It's not right
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

I disagree.  It seems like rules that are suggested that definitively favor the suggestor have been challenged and other have also been talked about for their pros and cons in a constructive manor

Please don't make me feel wrong or less than for expressing my opinion.  It's not right

I agree with Rondo. There is a pattern of what the problem is. Please don't put blame on others, bullying us into feeling we did something wrong by standing up for our opinions in an open discussion.

« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2015, 09:32:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
If it's important to you guys that I stop suggesting rules in the rule suggestion thread, I will stop. 

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Admittedly when someone suggests several rules in a row regarding not talking, not vetoing, not offering opinions, etc....yeah...you start to get a little biased towards the next thing that guy is gonna say. 
Byennie is a fine filter.  I have no huge problem with this suggestion.

« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
If it's important to you guys that I stop suggesting rules in the rule suggestion thread, I will stop.

Nobody said that.  This is a discussion thread not a suggestion thread.  Please engage in respectful discussions regarding new rules.  That is all anybody in this thread has ever wanted

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Your original 6 suggestions had 5 worthwhile ones. Then you went in a very different direction.

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Your original 6 suggestions had 5 worthwhile ones. Then you went in a very different direction.

Again, I think everybody here just wants respectful constructive discussions please engage

« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I had a bunch in mind today that were similar and would cut down on drama.  I understand that vetos are a sensitive subject but it's worth voting on.  I didn't mean to get anyone riled up.  I was more just thinking of a lot of similar ideas at once.  I've long been against vetos in fantasy basketball and since we are talking rules, it's a good time to bring it up.

Look guys I get that there's been some back and forth that I've been involved in and I don't want my enthusastic participation in this league to negatively impact someone's enjoyment of it.  I'll stop publicly suggesting rules and I'll try not to respond to every comment that I have a valid opinion on.

Tp's for everyone.  I'm pumped for the season!

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'd be open for a rule that prevents public veto campaigns.  I don't know how you'd construct that, and it'd likely just force people into private campaigns.  But I find the public campaigns to be semi-distasteful. 

I'll sometimes say, whoa, great value for team x.  But I think that's wildly different than saying, that's a horrible trade, I'm voting to veto.  I suspect with the leagues members, it'd be awfully hard to find a way to craft a rule on this....but maybe something preventing people from stating their veto intentions publicly (which would still allow for post-trade discussion and analysis...)