Author Topic: Are NBA teams preparing for the 2017 Draft to be the next transcendent class?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I was just scrolling through a list of future draft assets that have been traded, and I noticed that there are almost no unprotected/lightly protected 2017 1st round picks that have been traded to date.  By my count, the only ones out there are:
- BOS/NJ and PHI/SAC unprotected pick swaps
- DEN potentially owns MEM 1st (1 - 5 protected) if 2016 MEM pick doesn't convey (1 - 5; 15 - 30 protected)
- Utah owns GSW unprotected 2017 first rounder (not a great asset given GSW's trajectory)

And that's it.

It will be interesting to see if this is actually a trend, and the likes of Harry Giles, Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum and Thon Maker are too tantalizing of a group of future NBAers for GMs to pass up a shot at, or if it is more of a coincidental observation based on the timing of things such as when big trades are executed (like the C's and Nets deal where it was most practical to give '14, '16, '18 picks), and 2017 being more than one draft away, so the picks are less likely to be sent out.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think it's much more NBA teams are much more careful about giving away unprotected picks these days, and that's a reaction to Cleveland getting Kyrie from an unprotected Clippers pick in 2011.  I don't think it's teams targeting a specific draft class.

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I wonder if they think that far ahead. A lot of the GMs might not have that type of security.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Teams usually have protections on traded first round picks. That is the norm.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I wonder if they think that far ahead. A lot of the GMs might not have that type of security.

Absolutely teams think this far ahead. If what Dr. J said is true the 6ers are operating on a seven year plan. Philly scouting has YouTube just like the rest of us, it's not hard to project who will be available in the class.

Think Mr. Sapien is on to something here. Tp for the original idea.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Unless your GM is Billy King. That Nets trade still amazes me.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Unless your GM is Billy King. That Nets trade still amazes me.
Yeah, that was some crazy overconfidence.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All 1st round picks have protection now a days. It's just a way to control pick values which will better quantify what exactly is being traded.

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I follow high school basketball and recruiting. Giles, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith , and Jason Tatum look like they are going to be VERY good. Obviously alot can change in 2 years but the 2017 draft should definitely be better than 2016 draft.