Author Topic: Coaches: Top 3 - Bottom 3 - Worst on good team - Best on Bad team - last season  (Read 2919 times)

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would like your opinions on the following:

Top 3 coaches, Worst 3 coaches, Worst coach on good team, Best coach on bad team

My opinions are based on just watching the game and I have no data to support my picks and I am sure that plenty of you have the statistical data which I will find interesting.

Top 3 coaches- Pop, Kerr, Stevens

Worst 3 coaches- Brett Brown, Derek Fisher, Byron Scott

Worst coach on good team- Blatt (hands down)

Best coach on bad team- Rick Carlisle (although you could question the bad team)

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Brown's actually a really good coach, just has bad players right now.

There's no possible way he's worse than Flip Saunders, Byron Scott, Wittman or either disastrous NY coach.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Top 3 coaches, Worst 3 coaches, Worst coach on good team, Best coach on bad team

My opinions are based on just watching the game and I have no data to support my picks and I am sure that plenty of you have the statistical data which I will find interesting.

Top 3 coaches- Pop, Kerr, Stevens

Worst 3 coaches- Brett Brown, Derek Fisher, Byron Scott

Worst coach on good team- Blatt (hands down)

Best coach on bad team- Rick Carlisle (although you could question the bad team)
Not sure who I'd replace him with but I wouldn't put Stevens in the top 3 yet.  Need to see him coach top caliber talent first.  Brett Brown is not one of the worst 3 coaches.  He took Noel and a bunch of d-leaguers and built a better than average NBA defensive team.  I might put Flip Saunders in my worst 3 coaches.  Blatt was put in a very difficult situation.  I think he did pretty well all things considered.  I think Carlisle is overrated. 

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yeah, I don't know in which world Brett Brown is one of the worst coaches in the NBA. He's a very good coach.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Blatt looked like a deer in the headlights to me. Especially trying to call the time out that he didn't have in the playoffs and pretty much just following LeBron's instructions. I stand by that one.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Blatt looked like a deer in the headlights to me. Especially trying to call the time out that he didn't have in the playoffs and pretty much just following LeBron's instructions. I stand by that one.

I don't think a first-year Stevens would have done much better coaching LBJ. I wonder if Blatt can recover any dignity this year.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Brett Brown being listed with those other two guys is a complete and utter insult. He's a great coach. It's not his fault he's coaching fringe NBA players. The fact that he's managed to avoid finishing with the league-worst record in both of his coaching years speaks volumes to his quality.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
How can you guys say Brown is a "great" coach. Based on what?

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Top 3 coaches- Pop, Kerr, Stevens Replace Kerr with Budenholzer ATL. Kerr did a nice job, but the team was very talented and lucky too.

Worst 3 coaches- Brett Brown, Derek Fisher, Byron Scott These two are locks. Jacque Vaughn ORL would be #3. Not sure of Brown. Don't think he's done much with what he's had contrary to some others.

Worst coach on good team- Blatt (hands down) He was the wrong coach for the team they built after he was hired. Worst in that regard, but not his fault. BCS in the same position would have done better though.

Best coach on bad team- Rick Carlisle (although you could question the bad team) Not a bad team. Carlisle is good, not great. He has some part to play in the Rondo fiasco too. Quin Snyder in UTA fits well here.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Top 3 coaches- Pop, Kerr, Stevens Replace Kerr with Budenholzer ATL. Kerr did a nice job, but the team was very talented and lucky too.

Worst 3 coaches- Brett Brown, Derek Fisher, Byron Scott These two are locks. Jacque Vaughn ORL would be #3. Not sure of Brown. Don't think he's done much with what he's had contrary to some others.

Worst coach on good team- Blatt (hands down) He was the wrong coach for the team they built after he was hired. Worst in that regard, but not his fault. BCS in the same position would have done better though.

Best coach on bad team- Rick Carlisle (although you could question the bad team) Not a bad team. Carlisle is good, not great. He has some part to play in the Rondo fiasco too. Quin Snyder in UTA fits well here.

I like your analysis with one exception: Budenholzer. The team with the most wins in the East and he couldn't even win one game against the Cavs. I think the Celts gave the Cavs more of a challenge than Atlanta.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I like your analysis with one exception: Budenholzer. The team with the most wins in the East and he couldn't even win one game against the Cavs. I think the Celts gave the Cavs more of a challenge than Atlanta.

I understand what you're saying. Agree that we did better, but we were much hotter going in and they had medical issues.  He got that team to overperform by 10 games I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 12:28:25 PM by colincb »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
How can you guys say Brown is a "great" coach. Based on what?

He's fashioned a defense that was about at the same level of the Celtics last year. It was like a 13-14 spot jump from the previous year.

Offensively the Sixers have a great shot chart. His schemes generate good looks in the right areas. They just had a team full of ghastly shooters last year. This year they'll be a bit better at shooting, but I suspect a bit weaker defending on the wing.

Once he got a few guys who could stroke it their offense returned to the realm of normal bad instead of the MCW fueled historic levels of awfulness.

Following the ASB they had a run where they we're winning about as much as they were losing which is a pretty steep feat given that Jason Richardson was starting in some of those games.