Author Topic: Ian Thompson article about Celtics building franchise using old school values  (Read 10848 times)

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/ian_thomsen/07/24/celtics-build-the-old-fashioned-way-from-bottom-up/

"There's really no psychology to it,'' said Smart after a Summer League game in Las Vegas. "It comes down to you, but at the same time you got somebody there that actually cares and wants you to do good. It gives you a little motivation.''

Smart had an individual session planned with Stevens for the following morning at 10 a.m. -- with the understanding that few of his friends on rival NBA teams are able to work out privately with their head coach. Isaiah Thomas (26), Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko (both 28) are the only Celtics older than 25. As much as Stevens wishes for a team capable of contending immediately, he enjoys the process of building winning habits with one-on-one work.

"There's a lot of good coaches that have done it a lot of different ways,'' said Stevens. But he prefers to be hands-on. "To get in the gym and be putting in the sweat equity with them is important to it,'' he said. "They know you're going to work with them.''

"It's always about development, no matter what your situation is,'' said Ainge. "Sometimes you have to trade in your chips, but until you can, and until the time is right, you have to continue to develop players. You draft, you do deals - which is free agents and trades -- and you develop. I don't think you can be successful without doing all of those.''

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Every time I hear news about Stevens I like him more than the last. Guy is an awesome coach.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
TP for the OP
,its about time we get some in depth positive press for development,the buz for brad and organiztion has to be trumpeted and re enforced
its one of the celts biggest drawing card for future free agency.If the celts can unlock perry and get some results from young it might hold some weight with duncan.Hunter and mickey will also garner interest with coachess and press. While players will be watching Lee and johnson to see if the celts can extend and renew  or grow their images-More teams will have money next year but celts have many pieces in place for a guy like duncan,this could be a really important year as to who steps up and who improves-
an old saying of mine-"there ain't no magic" but there is hard work,planning and as Red said "Danny's a lucky guy"

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
CBS is a great coach and really excels at player development and team chemistry. That was visibly evident after the All-Star Break once Rondo & Green were traded

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
sitting watching brad with his son in vegas was a picture worth a thousand words-relaxed ,calm and having fun while ainge concentrating and working away in his head-both amir and lee are respected around league for their hard work and team first mentality
 the culture of team and development coupled with defence inspired by celts guards will have nba watching- its the antihesis of lebron iso and half hearted regular season play-fans like to win but they also appreciate balance and a team like the suns and warriors over lebron iso that goes as far back as chamberlain and LA-
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 06:34:37 AM by rollie mass »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
CBS will continue to build this team on an upward trajectory.  The team-first attitude and player development machine will make the existing team better and better.  We have two hopes of getting that star player to put us over the top: a) Net picks b) a star FA who sees the development of Stevens' team and wants to lead the charge.  Don't discount the chance of either (or both).  Stevens is going to accomplish great things with the Celtics.  Go C's!

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
CBS is our real star on this team.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Boston expose itself as a great franchise with great owner, GM, coach. Make some noise next season in the East, spread the good words...
Celtics are crying out loud to the top nba players : Please take me!  ;D
Now who is up for the challenge? That is a big weight to carry on your shoulders... Melo, Durant, somebody else?
Somebody must take over this franchise at some point, right?

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
You know, after all the chatter about free agents not wanting to come here . . . it occurs to me that the Celtics have become selective.  Not everyone will get an offer from the Celtics.  With the building talent level and the good impression CBS is making around the league, I can see Boston becoming a more interesting destination for those players who will--I think--begin to see it as a badge of honor to be invited to play for the Celtics.  Not saying that everyone will be rushing to talk to Danny, but I do think that having meaningful standards matters to players.  It's about the money but it isn't all about the money.

And as far as being a fan goes, I love this transformation.  If we can't be contenders, I will still cheer for hard work and smart play.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We're lucky to have Brad Stevens, NO ego, No mind games, young, extremely bright, likely works hard 12 months a year, he has a very strong basketball mind, that in time may be considered great.

Perfect choice by DA

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The more you learn about Stevens, the more you understand Danny's strategy over the last couple of years. If we "Hinkied," there's a good chance Stevens would bolt and we'd lose what's possibly our best asset as a organization (along with Ainge).

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for posting.

Really looking forward to this season, and the future with this team. It is VERY bright.

Looking forward to the continued maturation of our young players, and the recent additions of Lee and Amir.

Looking forward to our next few drafts, as well. We still have a plethora of picks.

Just have to remain patient with the process. This is going to end well for BOS eventually.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Seeing Smart talk about all the one-on-one work Stevens gives, and how rare that is in the NBA, makes me really think Sully is out the door, with Stevens saying just the other day that he hasn't seen him all summer.  Being Stevens, he was still complimentary about Sully "I've heard from people who've seen him that he's doing great" but Sully choosing to stay away from Waltham seems to be yet another example of him not buying in.  I hope I'm proven wrong, as I've been a Sully defender for most of his time here, but that quote from Smart contrasts with the fact that Stevens hasn't seen Sully.  If Jared wanted the time, I have no doubt Brad would make some appear.

Offline TheGreenThumb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Enjoy this article from the Boston Globe ...

No detail is too small for Celtics coach Brad Stevens
Celtics Brad Stevens was not at all happy about how his first year in Boston went.
By Adam Himmelsbach GLOBE STAFF  MAY 06, 2015

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/05/detail-too-small-for-celtics-coach-brad-stevens/uTw3cNT6XMAl1qUyWTTmdK/story.html

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Seeing Smart talk about all the one-on-one work Stevens gives, and how rare that is in the NBA, makes me really think Sully is out the door, with Stevens saying just the other day that he hasn't seen him all summer.  Being Stevens, he was still complimentary about Sully "I've heard from people who've seen him that he's doing great" but Sully choosing to stay away from Waltham seems to be yet another example of him not buying in.  I hope I'm proven wrong, as I've been a Sully defender for most of his time here, but that quote from Smart contrasts with the fact that Stevens hasn't seen Sully.  If Jared wanted the time, I have no doubt Brad would make some appear.

Maybe, but isn't it common for a lot of players to work out with a few other guys, not necessarily team-mates, together with a personal fitness coach, during the summer?  I would guess Sully is doing something along those lines.