Author Topic: 2015/16 NBA Power Rankings  (Read 7330 times)

Re: 2015/16 NBA Power Rankings
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 09:37:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Contenders

- Warriors
- Spurs
- Cavs
- Rockets
- Clippers
- Grizzlies
- Thunder

Tough Outs

- Hawks
- Wizards
- Heat
- Pelicans
- Bulls
- Suns
- Bucks
- Jazz

Playoff Roadkill / Late Lottery Purgatory

- Raptors
- Pistons
- Hornets
- Celtics
- Nets
- Kings
- Pacers
- Mavericks
- Magic
- Knicks

Trash

- Lakers
- Nuggets
- Wolves
- Blazers
- Sixers

I think you can make the argument that we can be in the "tough out" tier. We beat every team in that tier at least once last year (sweeping the Pels), and we played them tough every other time. Plus, we only got better this year, so I think we could squeeze in there. Between internal developments and our new players, I think it's plausible that we could at the very least force 6 or 7 games with every team in our conference, even the Cavs.

By the way, it's freaking silly that six out of the seven title contenders are in the West. Lucky us!

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 04:27:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I just noticed our sad sack division is the only one without any representatives in the top two categories.  Ole!
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 09:26:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm just using this one.

NBA.com just put out a complete league power ranking for next year and the best news is that the Nets are the 6th worst team according to their rules.  They basically average Pace, OffRtg, DefRtg and NetRtg, and then factor in trades/draft picks/acquisitions.

6th worst!

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/powerrankings/07/27/summer2015/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3c

Brooklyn (38-44)
Pace: 95.0 (24) OffRtg: 101.9 (18) DefRtg: 105.0 (24) NetRtg: -3.1 (22)
Key addition(s): Locker room happiness, tax relief
Key question: Can Jarrett Jack just run the offense?
Two sobering numbers in regard to the Nets: They had the point differential of a 31-win team last season and, though he had a down year, they were much worse when Deron Williams wasn't on the floor. They still have talent at the other starting spots, but those guys need Jack to limit his pull-up jumpers and focus on getting them the ball.

Our boys meanwhile are 19th overall:

Boston (40-42)
Pace: 98.4 (5) OffRtg: 101.7 (20) DefRtg: 102.1 (14) NetRtg: -0.4 (18)
Key addition(s): Amir Johnson, David Lee
Key question: Is the big move ever going to come?
The Celtics have Brad Stevens and incrementally better talent for him to work with. Danny Ainge has done solid work around the fringes. But after another offseason, Boston is still without a star or a clear path to a top-10 ranking on either end of the floor. And Stevens has another tough job in just determining who plays and who doesn't.

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

NBA.com just put out a complete league power ranking for next year and the best news is that the Nets are the 6th worst team according to their rules.  They basically average Pace, OffRtg, DefRtg and NetRtg, and then factor in trades/draft picks/acquisitions.

6th worst!

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/powerrankings/07/27/summer2015/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt3c

Brooklyn (38-44)
Two sobering numbers in regard to the Nets: They had the point differential of a 31-win team last season and, though he had a down year, they were much worse when Deron Williams wasn't on the floor. They still have talent at the other starting spots, but those guys need Jack to limit his pull-up jumpers and focus on getting them the ball.

Boston (40-42)
The Celtics have Brad Stevens and incrementally better talent for him to work with. Danny Ainge has done solid work around the fringes. But after another offseason, Boston is still without a star or a clear path to a top-10 ranking on either end of the floor. And Stevens has another tough job in just determining who plays and who doesn't.

Thanks for posting this, TP.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Poor list outside of top 6.

No way bucks are 8th good . monroe adds little, you will see.

Also Jazz considered better than the Celts?  On what basis?

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
Poor list outside of top 6.

No way bucks are 8th good . monroe adds little, you will see.

Also Jazz considered better than the Celts?  On what basis?

Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. After the Kanter trade, they were the best defensive team in the league. We only had two more wins than them and they're in the West. I think it's fairly well justified.

Edit: In the OP I made it pretty clear that Monroe is not the only reason why I think they'll be excellent. He's just another really nice piece there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:07:39 PM by max215 »

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

6th worst!

Brooklyn (38-44)

Boston (40-42)
I think we should be right around where Utah is. Phoenix, Dallas, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, and Miami are all to high.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
19th sounds about right.

Nets could be as bad as 26, but I think they could also be better than people expect.  All depends on how many quality minutes they can get out of Joe, Thad & Brook
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 10:42:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
19th sounds about right.

Nets could be as bad as 26, but I think they could also be better than people expect.  All depends on how many quality minutes they can get out of Joe, Thad & Brook

I will never understand the optimism some on here have for the Nets.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
19th sounds about right.

They were decent when healthy following the Young trade.

I think health will be the determining factor, if they're relatively healthy I think they'll be decent this year. 

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 02:24:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
19th sounds about right.

They were decent when healthy following the Young trade.

I think health will be the determining factor, if they're relatively healthy I think they'll be decent this year.

Agreed.
- Mark Twain