Author Topic: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony  (Read 11939 times)

Re: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Doesn't fit the team at all .   A lot of money for a guy on the backside of his career .....who has fame and fortune and really seems content .

Horrible fit for Melo as well.......

He'll get a Pierce gig soon...  Part of the Rockets or such like all declining stars do ..

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I do not believe that there is any way that Phil Jackson took the job at the Knicks, this late in his career, so that he could trade Anthony and rebuild around an unproven rookie (Porzingis).  I think it is much more likely that he trades Porzingis to get veterans to put around Anthony.

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I do not believe that there is any way that Phil Jackson took the job at the Knicks, this late in his career, so that he could trade Anthony and rebuild around an unproven rookie (Porzingis).  I think it is much more likely that he trades Porzingis to get veterans to put around Anthony.

Phil Jackson has already said the team needs to rebuilt from the ground up. Doesn't sound like he is optimistic about a quick retool in NY

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
Andrew Bynum should donate his knees to science. Especially since he's never using them again. He probably walks like a penguin now. Him and Greg Oden probably try to get groupons together

Fat, overweight TP.

I don't get why this keeps building steam when Melo has a no-trade clause. No one is acknowledging that, but it's the single most important part of the process / reason why it won't happen.

I don't think people are ignoring the fact. But he said last season he would waive his no trade clause to go to a playoff team. With him on the Celtics they are quite easy a playoff team. Plus for him and his wife Boston makes the most sense with it's proximity to New York if they didn't want to move.

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Andrew Bynum should donate his knees to science. Especially since he's never using them again. He probably walks like a penguin now. Him and Greg Oden probably try to get groupons together

Fat, overweight TP.

I don't get why this keeps building steam when Melo has a no-trade clause. No one is acknowledging that, but it's the single most important part of the process / reason why it won't happen.

I don't think people are ignoring the fact. But he said last season he would waive his no trade clause to go to a playoff team. With him on the Celtics they are quite easy a playoff team. Plus for him and his wife Boston makes the most sense with it's proximity to New York if they didn't want to move.

Would you expect him to be more open to a contender out West though? If Russell and Randle pan out (neither are a given), would he consider LA? Seems like a good fit.

Doubt he'd land here, but despite bashing him as a ball-stopper for many years I would jump for joy.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:39:09 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard

Fat, overweight TP.

Would you expect him to be more open to a contender our West though? If Russell and Randle pan out (neither are a given), would he consider LA? Seems like a good fit, personally.

Usually don't debate :P Really don't mean to argue or be disrespectful, just sharing thoughts. Doubt he'd land here, but despite bashing him as a ball-stopper for many years I would jump for joy.

Sure but honestly non of the west (contender) teams have the contracts to just unload to match to get him without giving up big assets. LA has no assets if you're taking Russel and Randle off the board, especially given that LA wouldn't trade them for Cousins.

So my questions becomes if Phil tells Carmelo, you have a choice, you can stay here and we can maybe make a run for an 8th seed in the next few years or you can go to Boston, they are offering the only interesting trade package. What happens then?

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2015, 09:32:19 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
melo is playing basketball for business reasons. as long as he can play in NYC, he doesnt care.

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2015, 10:17:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
for that price, how could you not do it.  no way Knicks would touch that though

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It's hard to imagine Melo leaving NY, but if he was willing, I'd be pretty happy if we landed him in a trade. KO/Sully + Bradley + expiring Lee + 2 first rounders sounds like the going rate for all-star talent. We could throw in Young too. I mean, what did Rondo net us? A washed up PG (Nelson), a backup big (Wright), an unknown young player (Crowder) and a projected mid-late pick.

Acquiring Melo assures us a playoff spot, IMO and expectations suddenly become from a "racing to 8th seed" to a "3rd-5th seed" type of team. Plus, I can see why FA's would suddenly be interested in coming to BOS.
- LilRip

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 11:26:55 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I think most of us are in agreement, if the price was reasonable we should get Melo. IF Melo were to be traded it would be because things were not working out in NY and so they would be trading from a weak position. So IF Melo gets traded, i bet the package is surprisingly low. That said, its more likely they just trade for another star and hope for the best. Things would have to go south in NY for us to have a shot.

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
But what if LaLa is still upset about the "honey nut cheerios" chants?  ;D

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:21 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
But what if LaLa is still upset about the "honey nut cheerios" chants?  ;D

lol apparently her, KG and Melo are cool now and he never said that. Plus she cancelled her reality tv show so the timing is perfect  ;D