Author Topic: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony  (Read 11941 times)

Re: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yeah mid season if Melo is unhappy in NY and they are losing they could trade him. If Sully, Lee and Turner are all playing well NY not having their own pick might not matter. Phil could figure, the hell with it I don't want Melo. I'll get another 2 stars in the offseason or next. Sully Turner and Lee would give him 3 expiring or RFA guys he could take a look at and maybe keep. If Melo is sulking Phil might be able to have addition by subtraction like us with RR and Green.

Wih 2 max cap spots and Phil Jackson NY probably can get a due of stars to team up.

Even though I don't like Melo and think he's a 1 dimensional ball hog with terrible leadership skills that needs to play PF.  Plus there is no way that deal would even be considered by NY unless you added a couple of # 1's and I wouldn't do that trade).  I actually think that Phil wouldn't even consider trading with the Celts or the Lakers and as everyone has mentioned Melo controls things and would decide where he's going and I would bet you it won't be Boston.   

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's such a hard choice because I don't think we can win with Melo. Plus he's already 31 so he doesn't have the longest window. On the other hand it's extremely difficult for the Celts to get good talent. Waiting for Karl Anthony Townes to be a free agent isn't really a strategy either. I say do it and rely on the genius of our coach.

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah mid season if Melo is unhappy in NY and they are losing they could trade him. If Sully, Lee and Turner are all playing well NY not having their own pick might not matter. Phil could figure, the hell with it I don't want Melo. I'll get another 2 stars in the offseason or next. Sully Turner and Lee would give him 3 expiring or RFA guys he could take a look at and maybe keep. If Melo is sulking Phil might be able to have addition by subtraction like us with RR and Green.

Wih 2 max cap spots and Phil Jackson NY probably can get a due of stars to team up.

Even though I don't like Melo and think he's a 1 dimensional ball hog with terrible leadership skills that needs to play PF.  Plus there is no way that deal would even be considered by NY unless you added a couple of # 1's and I wouldn't do that trade).  I actually think that Phil wouldn't even consider trading with the Celts or the Lakers and as everyone has mentioned Melo controls things and would decide where he's going and I would bet you it won't be Boston.   

Why would he care? If he trades Melo it's because he doesn't want him. I'ts not like a guy forcing his way out and you dont want to trade him in division (though guess that means nothing now)

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
I wouldn't trade any first round picks for Melo.

He is habitually out of shape, recently injured, and 31 years old. Garnett and Allen were both obsessively conditioned and took care of their bodies throughout their careers. Allen may have had ankle injuries when we got him, but he was in such good physical condition, and such a good team player that he was worth the gamble.

I just don't see Melo having the same personality and habits that allowed Garnett and Allen to succeed personally as they aged, and bring that success to the Celtics.

So, no thank you if picks are included. I would do that trade for the other aspects of the trade though.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
No

Melo is fools gold.  He will take over the offense, play ZERO defense and then complain about both.

He is not a team player and really all he can do is score, which is the easy to replace.  Rudy Gay can score.  Nuff Said.

NY would ask for valuable players and picks for Melo, bc they would have to justify the trade to their fan base who still believe Melo = Bron or Curry. 

Fools Gold.  Patience.  Some player will become available.  Boogie still can blow things up in Sac town and then demand a trade. 

patience.

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 I personally hate Carmelo, so the answer is no. He's a very talented player but what has he done for his team. His all star jacket is proof.

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
The question wasn't, "would this happen," it was "would you do it?"  I'd really like to keep Olynyk but if I couldn't sub Sully into that deal, yeah I think I would.

We could then sign Holmes assuming he is still available to help stretch the floor.  I'd really like to get rid of Sully though since Amir will need the space down low to work and if Sully floats, a lot of quick straight away threes will be clanking up there off Sully's hands. 

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Nope.  We avoided upshaw for his culture.  Melo lacks leadership skills needed to take us to the next level.  What pro team has he ever lead deep into the playoffs?

That one WCF Nuggets team?

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The title is a little misleading; a blog post from a homer, wannabe cblog qualifies as an "article" now? This is basically the equivalent of one of us proposing a trade idea in the forums, and this blog post is totally one-sided for the celtics.

It's like people take the Jared Dudley podcast and think Star players somehow want to buy into BS's team first-college ball system after being "the man" and playing me-first basketball their whole career's.

I'm not saying there isn't some reality where Melo gets disgruntled, sees the Celtics flourishing in his own conference, and would rather be a part of what we're doing over the current state of the Knicks, despite the fact that he would have to change the way he played his whole career; I'm saying that a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen, and that even if that scenario played out perfectly for us, we would still need to give up more than what he proposed to outbid other fringe teams on the rise.

So let's collectively forget the "well if that's all we have to give up" stuff. That's the reason that the trade doesn't make sense: because we would have to give up more than that.

The one way I can see something of this nature happening is if Melo has a bad year (half season) and his value is further diminished, while Porzingis shows that he can play. As it is right now, Melo is their only star player and selling point to a massive market. Don't you think Phil would rather do the exact same thing we want to do and use Melo as their starting point to bring in other stars? I'm sure Phil would rather build for now than later, so a lot of this rides on the potential success of the euro kid in NYC, and even then, Melo would have to play poorly, feel threatened and replaced by Porzingis (not mesh with him), and not see him as the 1-A star that Phil may see him as moving forward.

Having said that, would you still make this trade if we had to give up someone you really like, Ala Mickey/R.J Hunter? Because if the Knicks are cleaning house and starting over, they're gonna want more than Bradley, Fatty, David Lee's corpse, and our mid-first round picks (that get worse as we improve).

Upon further review, i have to say that one area that I do agree with the author is the age factor. At 31, the Knicks may have to make a decision sooner than later, and if other teams don't want to take the risk of taking on a 31 yr old disgruntled vet, that is where we could pounce.

So essentially, Melo has to lose value to the point that we are the only team that- 1 wants Melo, 2- has assetts that NY would want, and 3- Melo wants to come to (no trade clause as others have said).

PS- sorry for the long post/rant  ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:58:18 PM by biggs »
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm not giving up Bradley, for Melo, specially with his health.  This is the trade I'd offer the Knicks to take Melo off there hands. 

Celtics
David Lee, Evan Turner, Kelly Olynyk, James Young, Chris Babb, Celtics 2016 1st, 2016 and 2017 2nd round

Knicks
Carmelo Anthony

I'm not giving them a complete rebuild piece because I don't think Melo is worth it.  But after this trade our team would look like this. 

Center - Amir Johnson, Tyler Zeller
Power Forward - Jared Sullinger, Jordan Mickey, Jonas Jerebko, Perry Jones (Also plays the SF)
Small Forward - Carmelo Anthony, Jae Crowder
Shooting Guard - Avery Bradley, R.J. Hunter
Point Guard - Marcus Smart, Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier

With this being done out team would have 13, we can have 15 signed players and 13 on the bench in total.  So we'd have enough room to go after two free agents, on one to two year deals.  I still see a need for a shooter, at the shooting guard position and another center.  This way if we want to send R.J. Hunter and Jordan Mickey down, we'd be able to.

Shooting Guard - Ben Gordon or an Andre Miller.  Give us some more proven veteran players on a very young roster. 

Center/Power Forward - Andrew Bynum (If he's healthy and wants to player) or Carlos Boozer  If Bynum is able to play I'd take a chance just on what he could bring.  A one year deal to prove himself.  Boozer, he's an interesting player for us.  He's not a true center, but can play it when needed.  Plus he'd give us another big man veteran who likes to bang and rebound which we could use.  Yes Amir Johnson will do this, but he could use the help.

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Andrew Bynum should donate his knees to science. Especially since he's never using them again. He probably walks like a penguin now. Him and Greg Oden probably try to get groupons together

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Andrew Bynum should donate his knees to science. Especially since he's never using them again. He probably walks like a penguin now. Him and Greg Oden probably try to get groupons together

Fat, overweight TP.

I don't get why this keeps building steam when Melo has a no-trade clause. No one is acknowledging that, but it's the single most important part of the process / reason why it won't happen.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts can get Melo without giving up too much, I'd go for it.

The biggest challenge then becomes finding a second and third high-level player to put next to him within a year or two.  I think Melo's game should age fairly well, but he's only going to be lead scorer material for another few years, assuming his knee issues don't cut him down sooner.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 04:12:46 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lol, TP ;D. As for the subject of this thread - no way in hell.

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I wouldn't want to give up too much for a 31-year old ball stopper but if we could get Melo on a reasonable deal, I'd be crazy to say I don't want him. At his best, he's one of the 3 best scorers in the game and I'd guess he's got another 3 years where he has that potential.

But I don't think the trade scenario in that "article" is anything resembling reality.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008