Author Topic: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony  (Read 11930 times)

Re: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:55 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Your points are well-taken. Lee and Amir would obviously be very good options in terms of salary match, but they also aren't young guys you'd look to build around. If you're looking for something similar, would you choose Brook Lopez over Lee? Faried over Amir? What about someone like Favors?

I think there would likely be other enticing packages out there that would get hard looks. Again, though, I would be thrilled to get Melo (and I've always disliked Melo from a bball standpoint).

The nice thing about the trade with us is New York is one of the few team where we could really pull off a 4 guy for 1 superstar kind of trade. They have the roster space currently to take on extra guys. Lee being attached is basically just a huge expiring for New York while so many of our players are on cheap or even rookie contracts that it's easy to make up the rest of the money using young talent that can build their roster. The problem with everyone else is they have to be able to ship a 10-15 million expiring contract to make up the bulk of Melo's salary (assuming you don't trade one star for another which never happens) and then find a way to give New York enough talent to make the trade worth doing from a talent standpoint. I believe we are uniquely set up to take on a disgruntled star like Melo right now

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 07:17:21 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Playes wise Sully Lee and Turner make a lot of sense if NY just decides they don't want Melo. I guess there would be other offers but Denver? I don't think so. We are close enough to NY that melo wouldn't have to move.

Melo and Cousins talk just isn't going to go away becasue they both make so much sense to go for.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 07:24:46 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Huge advocate of Melo. Dislike his contract, but to me, Melo is the type of player that can keep playing till hes about 34-35. You'll obviously see a huge drop in his offensive game, but he'll still be a 18-20 PPG type of player in my opinion for a few years.

Good enough for Ainge to find some Allstar that would be intrigued to join Melo, just like LMA joined the Spurs. I firmly believe if Ainge had brought in Melo, Love would've left CLE to join us.

But anyways, my pipe dream is Melo and Cousins. I don't think anyone is beating us, not even CLE if we brought in Melo and Cousins.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He doesn't fit at his age .  If he was 8 years younger .  He belongs on the Rockets half court offense sets or Lakers style ball. 

Not sure he even fits with all the young players in NY anymore. 

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 08:22:07 AM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
I wish it was Durant but Melo would do if a trade will happen.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
when i first heard the idea of melo to boston i hated it.

but if all you have to trade is david lee, avery, olynyk and can keep from trading away a potential top 10 pick - you do that trade. not even debatable.

melo does suck at defense, but he is one of the best offensive players in the league. he's locked into his contract for the next 4 years. so you get melo from 31-35. look at ray during his time in boston. look at pierce from age 31-35. you do that trade. that is a major piece of a future championship puzzle - not a lot of players in the league who can drop 28-30 on a regular basis.

melo is a star other players would gravitate to if he were in boston because it is coupled with a team and coach who have a winning culture and a promising future.

danny does that trade if it comes up no doubt.

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 08:47:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope.  We avoided upshaw for his culture.  Melo lacks leadership skills needed to take us to the next level.  What pro team has he ever lead deep into the playoffs?

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
At this stage of the game, I wouldn't give away the farm for Carmelo, but I would absolutely do a deal like this article suggested and maybe even sweeten it a bit by throwing in one of our rookies if that is what it took.

Carmelo isn't my favorite building block--I don't imagine he's anyone's--but he may be the only one available this year. And it's easy to say things like "he never had a deep playoff run," but the only reason PP ever had a deep playoff run prior to the Big Three Era (and potentially even made the playoffs at all) was because he played in an abonable Eastern Conference. Carmelo's Denver teams were every bit as good as Pierce's early Celtic teams, if not better, and likely wools have made it out of the first round in the East.

Edit: Carmelo did actually make the WCF in '09, which is all PP, Ray, and KG ever did before coming here, and he did it in a better Conference than Pierce did.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that Phil would probably notice that we have Brooklyn's 2016 pick and not accept our own picks for the next two years that would certainly project to be in the 20's. There would be other offers out there to compete against. The offer of an expiring contract, a borderline starter on a good team, a rotation guy, and two very mediocre picks is not inspiring, even to a motivated seller.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Absolutely not. The guy can shoot the ball, but he doesn't fit the style of play the Celtics have developed.

For the life of me, I've never understood the obsession of Celtics fans for Melo. He's not going to propel the Celtics into title contenders. He should have signed with the Bulls last year. Huge mistake on his part if he wants to contend.

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Like Daniel Bryan would yell, YES! YES! YES!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
NO! Please never. The guy is not a team player, not a winner. No Thank you.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 11:01:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2921
There's no way the deal proposed would happen. For any chance for this to happen, we'd have to be playing pretty good, New York would have to suck, and the Brooklyn pick and/or the Dallas pick would have to be looking pretty good for us to trade for them.

It could definitely happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. Honestly, I could see LA getting impatient with Russell and/or Randle and sending him/them, salary filler, and picks for Melo before we get him. As someone else in the post mentioned, he has a no-trade clause and seems like a "bright-lights" type of guy through and through. NY could have a pretty good core in Porzingis, Grant, and Russell and/or Randle.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Melo would score the ball for us. He is a top player and we need one. Yes I'd rater have LBJ but if we can get Melo we do it. atm he looks like our best shoot at a star pick up.