Author Topic: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony  (Read 11910 times)

Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:47:24 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
http://hardwoodhoudini.com/2015/07/24/celtics-trade-carmelo-anthony/

I'd be beyond thrilled for the proposed trade. Or really anything similar. We need star power and fire power and we could get it done and still remain very balanced given our logjam at the 1 and 4.

Re: Article: Should the Celtics trade for Carmelo Anthony
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 12:58:10 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Thanks for the link, interesting idea.

But he's signed through '18-'19 and has a no-trade clause. I'd be all for it too, but would expect him to exercise it if it meant a trade to Boston.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:00:44 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
My only hope on that front would be that seeing as this would most likely be a deadline trade that we are fighting for the Atlantic and for a playoff seed and that Anthony see's enough to jump in to a playoff team

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Would be nice. Seems like a "bright lights" guy through and through though. And would expect La La to castrate him if they moved to Boston. It has happened before (see: 30% of Lifetime channel movies).

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 01:14:50 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah mid season if Melo is unhappy in NY and they are losing they could trade him. If Sully, Lee and Turner are all playing well NY not having their own pick might not matter. Phil could figure, the hell with it I don't want Melo. I'll get another 2 stars in the offseason or next. Sully Turner and Lee would give him 3 expiring or RFA guys he could take a look at and maybe keep. If Melo is sulking Phil might be able to have addition by subtraction like us with RR and Green.

Wih 2 max cap spots and Phil Jackson NY probably can get a due of stars to team up.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 01:21:47 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Yeah mid season if Melo is unhappy in NY and they are losing they could trade him. If Sully, Lee and Turner are all playing well NY not having their own pick might not matter. Phil could figure, the hell with it I don't want Melo. I'll get another 2 stars in the offseason or next. Sully Turner and Lee would give him 3 expiring or RFA guys he could take a look at and maybe keep. If Melo is sulking Phil might be able to have addition by subtraction like us with RR and Green.

Wih 2 max cap spots and Phil Jackson NY probably can get a due of stars to team up.

He's in control of his own fate with a no-trade clause. It isn't Phil's decision to make.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 01:36:20 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Not sure how I feel about an aging, defensively inept scorer with a massive contract, but at that price it would be well worth it. Regardless of who gets him, I doubt Melo will be on the Knicks this time next year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 01:37:16 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard

He's in control of his own fate with a no-trade clause. It isn't Phil's decision to make.

My question there becomes if Phil says "The only offer we are remotely interested in is from Boston. Would you rather go for 30 wins here or be traded there?"  What do you do if you're Melo? lol  :-\

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
At that price you absolutely have to do it. As some have mentioned Melo would probably be pretty reluctant to waive the no-trade.

Maybe as an above poster mentioned if the Knicks aren't doing well and he gets frustrated and Phil tells him it Boston or the next 40 games are going to be awful for everyone and probably worst for you image.

Adding a superstar without giving up Smart or Brooklyn/Dallas '16 would be massive.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:33 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
If we get Melo for Lee, Turner, and Sully I honestly might cry. That would be fantastic. Realistic? Probably not, but at this point I would not be opposed to getting Melo for a solid price. That would allow us to bring in some other stars as well.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:35 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I think Melo would welcome a trade here if we were doing much better than NY and things were getting uncomfortable for him there.

Smart/Rozier
AB/IT
Crowder/Jerebko
Melo/KO
Amir/Zeller

Thats really good D around Melo and a legit 2nd scoring option in IT (and one that is ok off the bench) and no matter what picks we had to include we'd still have the ammo to make more moves. And We'd be able to sign anyone we could get to sign a well.

It all comes down to how NY starts out the season and how Phil and Melo get along.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

My question there becomes if Phil says "The only offer we are remotely interested in is from Boston. Would you rather go for 30 wins here or be traded there?"  What do you do if you're Melo? lol  :-\

It is a good point. If that were the situation, I could see him leaving. But, wouldn't you expect interest from a lot of teams? Contenders?

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 03:11:25 AM »

Offline adam.jones614

• Payton Pritchard
It's not the interest I question. But what kind of package will contenders be able to offer that outgun ours while remaining contenders?  ;)

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 03:13:16 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Yeah which teams have expirings or room to take melo?

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 03:25:47 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Your points are well-taken. Lee and Amir would obviously be very good options in terms of salary match, but they also aren't young guys you'd look to build around. If you're looking for something similar, would you choose Brook Lopez over Lee? Faried over Amir? What about someone like Favors?

I think there would likely be other enticing packages out there that would get hard looks. Again, though, I would be thrilled to get Melo (and I've always disliked Melo from a bball standpoint).