Author Topic: My biggest regret in this off season  (Read 4002 times)

My biggest regret in this off season
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:39:07 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
My biggest regret was not signing this guy. I know we probably would not have been able to get amir johnson but this guys is just amazing when you watch this video.Everyone projected us to sign him or be the top team to sign him. Yet we didn't even talk to him. His name tobais harris. just go to this link and click the top video.

https://www.facebook.com/nba?fref=nf
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: My biggest regret in this off season
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
My biggest regret was not signing this guy. I know we probably would not have been able to get amir johnson but this guys is just amazing when you watch this video.Everyone projected us to sign him or be the top team to sign him. Yet we didn't even talk to him. His name tobais harris. just go to this link and click the top video.

Getting Tobias Harris had ZERO to do with getting Amir Johnson or not. For example, if we wanted to manufacture about $16M of cap space to get Harris we would've been able to.

The ONLY reason we didn't go get him, with the assumption that reports of Celtics interest were true, was first and foremost that Orlando was going to match any deal out there for Harris, and he was a restricted free-agent. So given that, outside of negotiating a S&T deal with Orlando, we had zero chance of getting Harris once Orlando made that decision.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:52:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Uh?  Did you miss a week of news?

As soon as the FA period opened up, Harris was the one free agent Danny was MOST connected with.  He almost certainly talked with him.  And it appeared that Danny was prepared to pay him whatever it took to sign him.  So long as Orlando wasn't going to match.  And initial word was that they were not going to.

But after Orlando failed to sign Millsap, they used that money to instead sign Harris.   Harris was a Restricted Free Agent.  There was nothing Ainge could do about it.  Orlando had the right to match any offer sheet.  And given that they signed him to a max contract, there is no offer sheet Danny could have given that would not have been matched.

I'm pretty sure Danny wanted him at least as much as you did.  But their are rules and Danny can only do what he's allowed to do.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Yeah, regret is not the right word really. You had to have had a chance to actually do something to regret not doing it later.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:30:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Getting Tobias Harris had ZERO to do with getting Amir Johnson or not. For example, if we wanted to manufacture about $16M of cap space to get Harris we would've been able to.

The ONLY reason we didn't go get him, with the assumption that reports of Celtics interest were true, was first and foremost that Orlando was going to match any deal out there for Harris, and he was a restricted free-agent. So given that, outside of negotiating a S&T deal with Orlando, we had zero chance of getting Harris once Orlando made that decision.

Yep, agree to agree. I wish the opportunity had presented itself, though. Seemed like a gamble worth taking, and our best chance to land a potential 20 ppg scorer at a position of need. Oh well. Probably would've just gotten in KD's way next year, anyway...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:38:16 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bismack Biyombo. Certainly within our grasp, super cheap and already a better defender and rim protector than DeAndre Jordan. Instead, Ainge decided to give 12 million a year to Amir-bad ankles-Johnson. Keep up the good work Danny boy.

I couldn’t care less about Harris. Let’s face it, we aren’t ready to contend yet, so there is no need for us to overspend on second tier free agents.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Bismack Biyombo. Certainly within our grasp, super cheap and already a better defender and rim protector than DeAndre Jordan. Instead, Ainge decided to give 12 million a year to Amir-bad ankles-Johnson. Keep up the good work Danny boy.

Disagree.  Biyombo isn't a long-term solution at center.  Granted, he is a rim defender, but he's also a huge liability offensively to the point where you would be playing 4-on-5 ... and face it, the Celts' offense is not great as it is.  He also gives up 20-30 pounds under the boards to the likes of Mozgov, Drummond, Monroe and pretty much every other starting center in the East.

My biggest regret is that we didn't draft Justin Anderson instead of Terry Rozier at 16.  I think Anderson would have filled a need at SF with his outside shooting and defensive ability, and there's a good chance he would have been a starter within a year or two.  Only time will tell if Rozier is an upgrade over anything the Celts currently have on their roster.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:22:14 AM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Robin Lopez (I feel like he would've been a great fit with the C's) or Tobias Harris. Both would've been difference makers.

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he would have helped in the fourth quarter with his scoring but his defense is suspect so he is a no sign.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
How come every player on the Magic was supposedly really good last year and yet they were one of the worst teams in the league?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Disagree.  Biyombo isn't a long-term solution at center.  Granted, he is a rim defender, but he's also a huge liability offensively to the point where you would be playing 4-on-5 ... and face it, the Celts' offense is not great as it is.  He also gives up 20-30 pounds under the boards to the likes of Mozgov, Drummond, Monroe and pretty much every other starting center in the East.

My biggest regret is that we didn't draft Justin Anderson instead of Terry Rozier at 16.  I think Anderson would have filled a need at SF with his outside shooting and defensive ability, and there's a good chance he would have been a starter within a year or two.  Only time will tell if Rozier is an upgrade over anything the Celts currently have on their roster.
But Deandre Jordan is also a huge liability on offense and he just signed for a zillion dollars.  I would have liked to have seen what Stevens could have gotten out of Biyombo.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Disagree.  Biyombo isn't a long-term solution at center. 
Says who? All the guy wants is a chance to play big minutes as a starter. Last year he was 5th in the league in blocks per 48 mins and 16th in rebounds. We already know that he is a terrific defender. What else do you want from your rim protector? Put him next to either Sully or Olynyk and you've got yourself a pretty solid frontcourt pairing option.

For instance
Sully, Biz starters
Mickey, Zeller, Olynyk off the bench

That’s a more functional frontcourt rotation than the one we have now, plus we wouldn’t be spending 17 million a year on Amir and JJ.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

But Deandre Jordan is also a huge liability on offense and he just signed for a zillion dollars.  I would have liked to have seen what Stevens could have gotten out of Biyombo.

Bismack makes DeAndre look like Kareem.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
How come every player on the Magic was supposedly really good last year and yet they were one of the worst teams in the league?

Exactly!!! I don't like how the magic players get praised for their stats when they were the 5th worst team in the league last year. I hated it how people thought Nikola Vucevic should have been an all star over Kyle korver when Vuc was on a terrible team and korver was on the best team in the east.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The Magic were supposed to be good. Their young players were supposed to be good. They are still not yet at their prime and the team is still not very good.

Having a team of young guys who are developing nicely does not make you a good team yet, but it bodes well for the future. We had a lot of that in 2006-07, with multiple young guys showing good development (for their draft position at least).