Author Topic: Who would have taken Frank K. Before 16.  (Read 5315 times)

Re: Who would have taken Frank K. Before 16.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 07:35:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

If they could have gotten Frank the tank at 16 it would be one of the dumbest refusals of all time.

It doesn't matter.  The team identified a player they wanted, they took him. They didn't want to take the chance.  You see this with Bill Belichick and the Patriots all the time.  They always "reach" for a player(s). Sometimes it works out. sometimes it doesn't.  But when they identify the right player, they take him rather than taking the chance of losing him.
Actually, it's the opposite. The Patriots have a history of trading down in the draft, basically what Charlotte didn't do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 07:38:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

If they could have gotten Frank the tank at 16 it would be one of the dumbest refusals of all time.

It doesn't matter.  The team identified a player they wanted, they took him. They didn't want to take the chance.  You see this with Bill Belichick and the Patriots all the time.  They always "reach" for a player(s). Sometimes it works out. sometimes it doesn't.  But when they identify the right player, they take him rather than taking the chance of losing him.
Actually, it's the opposite. The Patriots have a history of trading down in the draft, basically what Charlotte didn't do.

They have a history of overdrafting terrible defensive backs. BB is a brilliant man, but his eye for DB's is shockingly poor. Ras-I-Dowling, During Harmon, Tavon Wilson, Jordan Richards: it's an ugly track record.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

They have a history of overdrafting terrible defensive backs. BB is a brilliant man, but his eye for DB's is shockingly poor. Ras-I-Dowling, During Harmon, Tavon Wilson, Jordan Richards: it's an ugly track record.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that. But the Pats trade back an awful lot. The NFL draft is a different animal than the NBA draft, but that's exactly the thing that Charlotte probably would've been smart to do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 07:47:46 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

They've moved up, down, and stayed put. They regularly reach according to the pundits, but they are the best team for coaching up talent and the best team for a long time now so I'll err in their favor. The NBA draft is a crap-shoot and tough to predict. The NFL draft is exponentially worse. I gave up reading Joel Buchbaum and the other pre-draft NFL stuff long ago. Still read Ford and Givony.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think comparing the NFL draft to the NBA is outlandish. That said Bill would never ever turn down 6 picks for 1, especially only moving down from 9 to 16.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Yeah, I'm not arguing that. But the Pats trade back an awful lot. The NFL draft is a different animal than the NBA draft, but that's exactly the thing that Charlotte probably would've been smart to do.

I think that's more a function of the value of late 1sts compared to early 2nds in the NFL. 1st Round picks in the NFL are under team control for one more year than 2nd Rounders, so you always have teams with early 2nds trying to get back into the First Round. Since the Pats usually pick in the 28-32 range, and BB is a madman, the Pats are usually inclined to trade back. In the NBA, you see the opposite thing happen since teams would rather give out a non-guaranteed deal to the 31st pick over a guaranteed deal to the 30th pick. In closing, I have concluded that we cannot compare the NBA and NFL Drafts effectively  :). Apologies for the tangent CB.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

You're confusing "trading down in the draft" with taking the guy they want. Just because they have a reputation for trading down, doesn't mean they don't "reach" at times (basically, every draft).

The patriots trade back all the time. but they also identify people and draft them far earlier than others "expect". You see this with the "specialty" positions (like the long snapper this year), Logan Mankins was seen as a reach, Sebastian Vollmer was seen as a reach (a German with only a few years experience...crazy), Gronk was seen as a reach given the back injury, Gostkowski (4th round kicker...), tavon wilson (yea, basically all cb's and safety's ---- and anyone from Rutgers).  I could keep going on and on.

Edit: Don't forget Matt Slater --- a guy people said was too slow for Wr.  not good enough for Cb.  They were right.  But he's been an pro bowler on special teams and is a key part of the team.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:53:10 PM by yall hate »

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I think comparing the NFL draft to the NBA is outlandish. That said Bill would never ever turn down 6 picks for 1, especially only moving down from 9 to 16.

"only"

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Phoenix was reportedly very high on him. That was one of the problems with the Celtics' attempts to trade up. Charlotte wanted to trade down and still select Kaminsky, but Frank was certain to be gone at 13, if not earlier. The Suns reportedly tried to trade up, but picks 1-8 were too rich for their blood. That, and Charlotte wouldn't trade #9 to them.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

I'm in Miami quite a bit and listen to sports radio there, there was a lot of talk that they'd take kaminski assuming SJ and JW weren't available

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I think that's more a function of the value of late 1sts compared to early 2nds in the NFL. 1st Round picks in the NFL are under team control for one more year than 2nd Rounders, so you always have teams with early 2nds trying to get back into the First Round. Since the Pats usually pick in the 28-32 range, and BB is a madman, the Pats are usually inclined to trade back. In the NBA, you see the opposite thing happen since teams would rather give out a non-guaranteed deal to the 31st pick over a guaranteed deal to the 30th pick. In closing, I have concluded that we cannot compare the NBA and NFL Drafts effectively  :). Apologies for the tangent CB.
Agreed.

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 10:44:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Kaminsky would have been gone before 16.  probably wouldn't have fallen further than 12. 

that said, I think Charlotte would have been much better off with Winslow or Turner than Kaminsky