Author Topic: Give me your opinion on what it takes to pry Barnes from G.S.  (Read 6678 times)

Re: Give me your opinion on what it takes to pry Barnes from G.S.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
didn't realize Barnes qualified as a player that had "scoring punch'.   Jeff Green had more scoring punch.

Slam, have you seen him play? Don't even mention Jeff in the same sentence please.
 You have to think of what team he's on. Here he has a chance to avg 18ppg. He takes a back seat to Curry, Thompson, Green.
 Here he would be are most talented scorer.
seen him in limited games.  everything you've just said about him was the same things said about Green when he was in OKC and then here after the trade when he took a backseat to PP, Ray and KG.

just seems the rule of thumb is that guys who take a backseat to other players are doing so for a reason.  If they were better, they wouldn't be taking a backseat.   Behind Curry, sure.  Even Thompson.  Green?  no.  Green's a versatile player but if Barnes was a scoring machine in the making I think he'd be #3 on that team for go-to guy.

But Barnes strength is 3-point shooting.  He was 12th in the NBA last year at it.  But Curry and Thompson were 3rd and 4th.  So naturally a lot of the shots he's best at are going to go to those two instead of him.  Meanwhile, while Green is capable enough at the 3 to keep teams honest, he does more of his work on the interior, which is not where Barnes is most valuable.  And the two scored nearly the same amount on a per-minute basis, so he's more like 3b to Green's 3a.  But again, the real issue is his best skill mimics that of two teammates who are better than him (and really really good), while that skill would be the best on about 20 of 30 other NBA teams.  That wasn't Green's issue.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
There wasn't a chance to pry him away.  He's a core player on a Championship team. He's signed reasonably right now also.    When you're a good team you build around those players not trade them. 

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Barnes is overrated. No thx

Looks confused on the court. Lacks confidence

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline MarcusSmaht36

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I don't think Barnes is worth what you would have to give up for him.  He kind of reminds me as Jeff Green 2.0, the skill is there but his confidence seems to be lacking.  Doesn't seem like he has that "killer instinct" you want from a go-to scorer

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think Barnes is worth what you would have to give up for him.  He kind of reminds me as Jeff Green 2.0, the skill is there but his confidence seems to be lacking.  Doesn't seem like he has that "killer instinct" you want from a go-to scorer
yup, made the comparison to Green just a little earlier.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I mean he's way more of a floor spacer and a much more efficient offensive player than Green. I don't think that's a great comparison.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
that ship sailed with the lee trade. If there was a chance it would happen it would have happened as part of that.

Unfortunately, this ^
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I don't really think so triboy, personally I think it has a lot to do with his teammates. If he came here he'd look around and say I have more talent than these guys let me shoot the rock.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 05:09:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Barnes is perfect for a Stevens coached team. He can guard multiple positions, he runs the floor/finishes in transition and he can knock down 3's. As a scorer he is more of a flow of the offense type guy than someone that will take over right now. However, with his athleticism and on a team that needs him to score I think he could be really good. He also has an awesome nickname "the Black Falcon". I'm always intrigued by elite athletes who are still young enough to develop more.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I mean he's way more of a floor spacer and a much more efficient offensive player than Green. I don't think that's a great comparison.

Semi-agree. I don't think he's confused, nor do I think he's all that overrated.

But I do agree re: confidence. He had an issue with confidence that dates back to UNC. When he was shooting the ball well and feeling himself a bit, he looked unstoppable. Unfortunately, that was less often than many had hoped.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
that ship sailed with the lee trade. If there was a chance it would happen it would have happened as part of that.
The trade is already official?

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not a fan of Barnes, don't like him much, and I think the cost will be too high on top of it.

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
So will this be the summer where we finally have restricted free agents switch teams? Yes, and only because team’s will be forced to spend and do so at extreme measures.

Can Golden State afford to keep Harrison Barnes at a near max contract? The Warriors are facing a potential stare-down with Barnes and his agent Jeff Wechsler.

Golden State has $72 million committed in guaranteed salaries for 2016-17. Can the Warriors stay at a championship level with high salaries and still have the resources to improve? The new TV money and rising cap and luxury tax will offset these salaries.

But remember Stephen Curry, who has been underpaid the last few years, is due to be a free agent in 2017. If you factor in Barnes at near-max money and Curry at the max, you are looking potentially at $80 million in salaries for four players –  Curry, Barnes, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. Don’t be surprised to see a player of Barnes caliber entertaining offer sheets from multiple teams.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/07/26/the-rookie-extension-impact-for-2016/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:57:24 PM by Evantime34 »

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you’re going to build from the middle without a homegrown star, the only way up is to pile together little hits — especially since Charlotte can’t compete with Philly, Boston, or even Phoenix in putting together trade offers for disgruntled stars. Hell, even a team that nails every step of a clearly delineated plan from a pure value perspective, like the current Celtics, can get stuck in the middle just as long as a team with a murkier blueprint. “There’s no magic wand,” Cho says. “You just incrementally piece together good players with upside.”

I don't think that was the quote you meant to use. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
If you’re going to build from the middle without a homegrown star, the only way up is to pile together little hits — especially since Charlotte can’t compete with Philly, Boston, or even Phoenix in putting together trade offers for disgruntled stars. Hell, even a team that nails every step of a clearly delineated plan from a pure value perspective, like the current Celtics, can get stuck in the middle just as long as a team with a murkier blueprint. “There’s no magic wand,” Cho says. “You just incrementally piece together good players with upside.”

I don't think that was the quote you meant to use.
Thanks for looking out. I just fixed it.