Author Topic: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter  (Read 5641 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
[img width= height=]https://www.youtube.com/embed/rAqlanK8BMI[/img]

Woops.

Shaqtin' a fool aside, I would be all for the trade but doubt Washington would.

Someone made a good point regarding KO's position, too. I could see his natural, or best position, being a major factor considered in any discussion. He played the majority of his minutes at PF in 13-14, and was much better in that role than C. Last year, we saw continued growth in the exact opposite role, playing primarily at C.

If they're looking for a PP clone, not happening. If they're open to a stretch big, maybe? Could see the exchange as a win-win.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I like it. KO and ET are two of my least favorite players on the team and Porter is young and has shown a lot of promise when given opportunities. Why didn't they play more small ball with Truth at the 4 during the season? Porter could have had a great year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Don't know why ppl are so eager to dump kelly his ts% is nearly 56 percent, rather dump sully, avery and or turner, they shoot (ts%) below 50% and are further along there development

Defense, rebounding, boxing out to name a few. Also since he's under a cost controlled contract for a few more years, it's a viable trade option for teams.

And sorry, but trading for Porter is not a "dump Kelly" idea.

U can what i term saturate your team with rebounders, the more u have u less effective generally each one becomes, however, with good shooter generally each one makes the other shooters more effective.Big difference

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
It's a no-brainer.  I do this trade 8 days a week!

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Porter not that great, low usuage with a average percentage

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Don't know why ppl are so eager to dump kelly his ts% is nearly 56 percent, rather dump sully, avery and or turner, they shoot (ts%) below 50% and are further along there development

Defense, rebounding, boxing out to name a few. Also since he's under a cost controlled contract for a few more years, it's a viable trade option for teams.

And sorry, but trading for Porter is not a "dump Kelly" idea.

U can what i term saturate your team with rebounders, the more u have u less effective generally each one becomes, however, with good shooter generally each one makes the other shooters more effective.Big difference
[/

I will humbly submit that KO's middling rebounding has little to do with the Celts' being "saturated" with other rebounders.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will humbly submit that KO's middling rebounding has little to do with the Celts' being "saturated" with other rebounders.

Could be, but our best rebounder, can't get in shape, is slow and will be even in shape and can't spread the floor.   Mickey is the closest thing we have in the pipeline as a complete big.   Amir and  Jonas are but they are hardly stars but they are competent.   Most of our bigs have flaws though.  Oly and Sully are poor to midling athletes.   One thinks he is all world, so much he does not have to show up in shape, the other can get hot or cold depending on his confidence.   Zeller is weak for a C, but has a nice shot that he won't always take.   

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Could be, but our best rebounder, can't get in shape, is slow and will be even in shape and can't spread the floor.   Mickey is the closest thing we have in the pipeline as a complete big.   Amir and  Jonas are but they are hardly stars but they are competent.   Most of our bigs have flaws though.

David Lee is hopefully in shape this season.

And most players have flaws.  Like, virtually all.  Maybe LeBron 2012-2013 was flawless (aside from being LeBron), but it's pretty rare.  Olynyk's flaw is that he gets exploited defensively and on the boards.  He's also a fine shooter, especially for a big, but he's not elite at it.  His passing is probably a bit overrated, with a near 1:1 assist-turnover ratio.

Turner is a very inconsistent shooter.  But he's also capable of running an offense from the 3, and rebounds great for his position.

Porter has been so far limited offensively.  He's a good defender at multiple positions.  His offense might come around, making him a much more complete player.  He's young still, so has the most room to grow.  He's probably not a superstar in the making, but probably does havethe ceiling as #3 guy on a great team, which is higher than Olynyk or Turner.  At the same time, maybe he turns into another Jeff Green, or never even gets that far.

Playing next to Gortat would help cover some of Olynyk's weakness, both in defense and rebounding, while having playmakers like Wall and Beal around him could emphasize his strengths. On the other hand, more would be asked of Porter in Boston, giving him the opportunity to expand his game and reach his full potential.

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2015, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I doubt Washington would ever do this deal. Porter was looking good in the playoffs last year and seems like he's poised to break out in his 3rd season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008