Author Topic: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter  (Read 5637 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Why are so many on this blog so sown on Olynyk? He is a 5 not a stretch 4 and posseses a skill set few if any 7 footers do. Stevens loves his style of play. The only knock I believe that Stevens and Ainge have about Olynyk is he is too reluctant to shoot the ball.

Olynyk can play both the 4 and the 5. People love to say he's not athletic, but he's not a stiff. Your right though, VERY few 7 footers posses the skull set KO has. When he's playing well, it's like watching a 7 foot PG. He can shoot, drive and pass. If he ever gets aggressive he could be very good.

I might not give up KO for Porter, but maybe Sullinger. I like Porter, I think his ceiling is as high as anyone on our team not named Marcus Smart. But I think that possibility passed when Pierce went to the Clippers. Maybe if we include Young, but they already have a guy like him in Oubre.

I'll probably be the last one on the James Young hype-train when it crashes and burns, but I still have hope that he can contribute on the wing in the near future with his scoring. Sure, SL didn't go well, but he didn't seem lost out there like he did last season, the 20 pounds of muscle thing seems fairly legit, and from all accounts his mindset and effort have turned the corner. The shots will fall eventually. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think the Wizards do this. Otto Porter is probably going to start for them he really upped his value in last years playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Washington is better off keeping Porter

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Great idea... except I trade Sully and Turner.

Porter is long, athletic and can defend. Perfect timeshare with Crowder.

The notion that Porter could be out of the league in two years is preposterous IMO...but just as likely that Sully eats his way out of the league.   

Relieve the logjam at PF and wing... keep KO... get longer and more athletic

If anyone says no it would be Washington. Porter is valued.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And all this cap space might be overrated anyway...  I still think Danny will have to build it through the trades, not FA signings.

I agree with this part, which is why I proposed the trade.  The C's get no cap space out of this deal -- they in fact lose $2.8 million of it next season.  I think Porter's upside is higher than KO's, which is why I would do it.  Porter turned 22 last month.  Being 21 in the NBA on a team that is trying to compete is tough.  If he were consistent night in and night out, this idea would be idiotic from the Wizards perspective.  But I do think he offers us more than Jones in the both the short run and long run.

Exactly - Porter may never pan out, but Ainge needs to start taking some chances and with so many 'good' young players, he actually has that luxury.

You look back at some of the names Ainge was targeting before they exploded - Curry, Cousins, etc, and you think, 'man, if he had just been willing to overpay back then, we would be ridiculous now.' The Warriors and Kings may never have been willing to part with those guys, but if we had any chance, it is unfortunate that we didn't give them whatever they wanted.

I like KO and Turner quite a bit and you could insert a number of other players in this deal to make it work (ie, Young and Sully or Rozier and Zeller) and I would still probably give it a shot.
that's how he ends up with Fab Melo.

Seriously, I'm sick of the Fab Melo line.  It's so tired.  We're entering the 4th year of that draft.  Fab was picked 22nd -- let's look at picks 23-33 and see how much we missed on (and for the record, I'm the one guy on the board who advocated for Draymond Green with a first before the draft occurred, so don't even go there).

22.  Fab Melo.  The biggest bust in history apparently (but not even the worst pick of the draft thanks to Royce White).
23. John Jenkins -- barely played in Atlanta.  Not brought back for year 4, just signed a minimum deal with Dallas.
24. Jared Cunningham -- barely played for Dallas, dumped to Atlanta who didn't pick up his year 3 option, and released him in the middle of year 2.  Got a non-guaranteed minimum deal last year with LAC.  Not currently in the NBA.
25. Tony Wroten -- Dumped by the Grizz to Philly after one year for a 2nd that didn't convey.  Scoring for the Sixers, but in mediocre 2-point shooting and terrible (below 25% for his career) 3-point shooting.
26. Miles Plumlee -- on 3 teams in 3 seasons.  A bench big in Milwaukee at age 26.
27. Arnett Moultrie -- dumped by the Sixers before his third year, after barely playing first two.  Year 4 option not picked up.
28. Perry Jones III -- salary dumped to Celtics before year 4, C's get a future second and cash for their troubles.
29. Marquis Teague -- dumped by Bulls to Nets in year 2 to avoid luxury tax (ironic given the Nets tax bill) and then dumped with a second to the Sixers before year 3, and waived before season.  Out of NBA.
30. Festus Ezeli -- barely played in year 1, blew out his knee in year 2.  Started to look like he might be developing into a useful player by the end of year 3, but it'd be a stretch to say that's guaranteed improvement.
31. Jeff Taylor -- A sometime effective backup who then brutally beat his girlfriend. Now in Europe.
32. Tomas Satoransky -- the only name on this list I've never heard of. He's yet to come over from Europe.  Maybe next year, but I bet if he does come over it won't be with Washington.
33. Bernard James -- backup big with Dalls for three years.  Currently a UFA and unsigned.

There's really no one in that list to cry over.  Was Melo a risky pick? Sort of, but what was the opportunity lost?  At best you can say Festus Ezeli, who's really done very little in three NBA seasons and turns 26 in October.

So yeah, all of this has virtually nothing to do with Otto Porter, who's done more is his NBA career than Melo and all the players listed above combines, even if he hasn't done all that much.  And that's not to say he isn't a risk, because Olynyk and Turner have indeed performed better to this point.  But if it were guaranteed that Porter would outperform those two, the Wiz wouldn't do it.  And the Wiz probably won't, but this is the type of trade I'd hope for -- consolidating two useful players at areas of depth into one potentially more useful player at an area of need.

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Not sure Washington would be interested in this deal, though I like the general idea.

Maybe they'd bite if we also gave them one of our lesser first round picks (or two 2nd rounders)?

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Washington is better off keeping Porter

I'd think so as well. But there's an angle to this, Washington seems, from what I've seen, really interested in acquiring a stretch big.

At the same time we offer them a player who can play SF so that they can keep their depth intact. Also, they just drafted Kelly Oubre Jr. with their 15th pick, so that's another player they can use for development.

They also acquired Jared Dudley, so they have another player who can fill-in for the SF spot.

So while I think Porter is valuable, there should be motivation to make this sort of deal work if there's legit interest on acquiring a stretch big.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they would hang up laughing from this deal.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's not a secret that Porter is a breakout candidate... The Wizards aren't oblivious to this.   This should be a big year for him. 

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 02:26:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No brainer for the C's, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Just so there's some background on where this idea is coming from, here's a pre-draft/free agency article from the Washington Post, where the Wizards top goal according to Wittman is to get "better at the stretch 4, the shooting 4."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/06/29/true-story-randy-wittman-says-the-wizards-need-to-improve-at-the-stretch-4/

Also in that article they want more bench help (who doesn't), and Turner is a viable bench player given his versatility.

You look at the moves they've made, and not only did they lose Pierce, who gave them shooting 4 that down the stretch, but they didn't get anyone else who can do that.  Olynyk is very much a stretch 4, more than Porter is, and is on a rookie deal too.  I do ascribe to the belief that teams are smarter than me, so if this deal could happen it would have already, but at the same time it does fill both teams needs pretty well.  So I'm standing by it as realistic until some other move is made, especially since Washington still has only 14 players under contract.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:41:55 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

And all this cap space might be overrated anyway...  I still think Danny will have to build it through the trades, not FA signings.

I agree with this part, which is why I proposed the trade.  The C's get no cap space out of this deal -- they in fact lose $2.8 million of it next season.  I think Porter's upside is higher than KO's, which is why I would do it.  Porter turned 22 last month.  Being 21 in the NBA on a team that is trying to compete is tough.  If he were consistent night in and night out, this idea would be idiotic from the Wizards perspective.  But I do think he offers us more than Jones in the both the short run and long run.

Exactly - Porter may never pan out, but Ainge needs to start taking some chances and with so many 'good' young players, he actually has that luxury.

You look back at some of the names Ainge was targeting before they exploded - Curry, Cousins, etc, and you think, 'man, if he had just been willing to overpay back then, we would be ridiculous now.' The Warriors and Kings may never have been willing to part with those guys, but if we had any chance, it is unfortunate that we didn't give them whatever they wanted.

I like KO and Turner quite a bit and you could insert a number of other players in this deal to make it work (ie, Young and Sully or Rozier and Zeller) and I would still probably give it a shot.
that's how he ends up with Fab Melo.

Seriously, I'm sick of the Fab Melo line.  It's so tired.  We're entering the 4th year of that draft.  Fab was picked 22nd -- let's look at picks 23-33 and see how much we missed on (and for the record, I'm the one guy on the board who advocated for Draymond Green with a first before the draft occurred, so don't even go there).

22.  Fab Melo.  The biggest bust in history apparently (but not even the worst pick of the draft thanks to Royce White).
23. John Jenkins -- barely played in Atlanta.  Not brought back for year 4, just signed a minimum deal with Dallas.
24. Jared Cunningham -- barely played for Dallas, dumped to Atlanta who didn't pick up his year 3 option, and released him in the middle of year 2.  Got a non-guaranteed minimum deal last year with LAC.  Not currently in the NBA.
25. Tony Wroten -- Dumped by the Grizz to Philly after one year for a 2nd that didn't convey.  Scoring for the Sixers, but in mediocre 2-point shooting and terrible (below 25% for his career) 3-point shooting.
26. Miles Plumlee -- on 3 teams in 3 seasons.  A bench big in Milwaukee at age 26.
27. Arnett Moultrie -- dumped by the Sixers before his third year, after barely playing first two.  Year 4 option not picked up.
28. Perry Jones III -- salary dumped to Celtics before year 4, C's get a future second and cash for their troubles.
29. Marquis Teague -- dumped by Bulls to Nets in year 2 to avoid luxury tax (ironic given the Nets tax bill) and then dumped with a second to the Sixers before year 3, and waived before season.  Out of NBA.
30. Festus Ezeli -- barely played in year 1, blew out his knee in year 2.  Started to look like he might be developing into a useful player by the end of year 3, but it'd be a stretch to say that's guaranteed improvement.
31. Jeff Taylor -- A sometime effective backup who then brutally beat his girlfriend. Now in Europe.
32. Tomas Satoransky -- the only name on this list I've never heard of. He's yet to come over from Europe.  Maybe next year, but I bet if he does come over it won't be with Washington.
33. Bernard James -- backup big with Dalls for three years.  Currently a UFA and unsigned.

There's really no one in that list to cry over.  Was Melo a risky pick? Sort of, but what was the opportunity lost?  At best you can say Festus Ezeli, who's really done very little in three NBA seasons and turns 26 in October.

So yeah, all of this has virtually nothing to do with Otto Porter, who's done more is his NBA career than Melo and all the players listed above combines, even if he hasn't done all that much.  And that's not to say he isn't a risk, because Olynyk and Turner have indeed performed better to this point.  But if it were guaranteed that Porter would outperform those two, the Wiz wouldn't do it.  And the Wiz probably won't, but this is the type of trade I'd hope for -- consolidating two useful players at areas of depth into one potentially more useful player at an area of need.
for as high a pick as he was, he's been a huge disappointment.  not Anthony Bennett-level of disappointment but I don't see him as any kind of success story in the making.  maybe he breaks out this year as you're speculating.  I just don't see it happening but we'll see how the season plays out.

just to save you future effort in the Fab debate, he was an obvious swing for the fences pick but you could probably count the number of people here who didn't hate that pick without having to use all your fingers.  While time has shown we didn't really miss much in terms of players taken shortly after him, they were all better prospects that at least had a slightly better career.  pay dirt, no.  better chances of being useful, somewhat.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Don't know why ppl are so eager to dump kelly his ts% is nearly 56 percent, rather dump sully, avery and or turner, they shoot (ts%) below 50% and are further along there development

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't know why ppl are so eager to dump kelly his ts% is nearly 56 percent, rather dump sully, avery and or turner, they shoot (ts%) below 50% and are further along there development

Defense, rebounding, boxing out to name a few. Also since he's under a cost controlled contract for a few more years, it's a viable trade option for teams.

And sorry, but trading for Porter is not a "dump Kelly" idea.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

For the record, this proposal is not a dump.  I think Olynyk is a good player.  I think Porter has more potential and is starting to break through offensively.  He's unquestionably better than Olynyk defensively.  If you want to get good players, as I think Porter will be, you have to give up something of value.

Also, shooting isn't the only thing in basketball.  If that's where your analysis ends, you're missing something.