Author Topic: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter  (Read 5642 times)

Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter
« on: July 24, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No picks involved.  Just Oly and ET for Porter.

Why for Washington:  Washington's best lineups last year were with Pierce playing a stretch 4.  Pierce is gone now, and their first idea will probably be to run with Porter in that role.  Olynyk can fill that role as a stretch 4 better than Porter can.  In addition, ET gives them depth at the 1-3.  As Beal and Webster suffered from injuries last year, and Wall risked overuse, that added depth will be important as they try to build on last season.  Furthermore, they are still keeping an eye towards Durant next summer, and this move clears up $2.8 million in cap space for next seasson.  Also, with Durant on the team, Porter's value plummets.

Why for Boston: While Olynyk has definitely performed better than Porter so far in the course of his career, Porter has shown flashes that explain why he was the third pick two years ago.  His best run was at the end of the regular season, at the performance continued into the playoffs, where he averaged 10 and 8 on efficient shooting numbers with good defense.  Furthermore, he's more than two years younger than Olynyk, so additional improvement is more likely.  Finally, he plays a position of greater need for Boston (the 3/4 swing role) than does Olynyk.  If the growth from the end of last year carries over into this year, he can be a foundational player for the Celtics heading into future seasons, while at the same time balancing out Boston's roster this year.

Re: Trade Idea: Olynyk and Turner for Otto Porter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Both Olynyk and Turner are currently better than Porter, but I think I would be willing to roll the dice on this one because of potential. It would also allow us to keep Jones, which is obviously secondary.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sold -- happy to trade Olynyk who I am not so high on + Porter is a good young player who looks primed for a breakout campaign as Pierce's replacement as a starting SF.

Although, for those reasons, I do not think Washington will trade Porter. He has a big role on that team with Pierce leaving and has more talent than Olynyk due to his capacity to defend & rebound his position at an above average level.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not a fan of Porter.  would prefer to keep KO even though the trade would adjust the roster imbalance a bit.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »

Offline Bdiddy

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Why are so many on this blog so sown on Olynyk? He is a 5 not a stretch 4 and posseses a skill set few if any 7 footers do. Stevens loves his style of play. The only knock I believe that Stevens and Ainge have about Olynyk is he is too reluctant to shoot the ball.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
With all due respect, this may be THE WORST trade idea I've ever seen at this place.  Porter has done absolutely nothing.  Olynyk is still a kid growing into his body - and his game can only improve.  Turner, who gets shelled by some in this place, is a nice player who provides the Celtics with a player who can get to the rim and knock down that mid-range jumper with regularity.

Porter is a mediocre player who might be out of the NBA altogether in a couple years... 

I don't get this idea at all...

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Not for KO.....he is worth away more than that.

But ....I'd trade ET , for a half eaten ham samitch

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
With all due respect, this may be THE WORST trade idea I've ever seen at this place.  Porter has done absolutely nothing.  Olynyk is still a kid growing into his body - and his game can only improve.  Turner, who gets shelled by some in this place, is a nice player who provides the Celtics with a player who can get to the rim and knock down that mid-range jumper with regularity.

Porter is a mediocre player who might be out of the NBA altogether in a couple years... 

I appreciate this, in part because it validates my idea.  Some say the Wizards wouldn't do it, some say its close -- need someone to come in and say it's absolutely horrible to make me think it isn't lopsided.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87

I appreciate this, in part because it validates my idea.  Some say the Wizards wouldn't do it, some say its close -- need someone to come in and say it's absolutely horrible to make me think it isn't lopsided.

Porter did have a few nice games, but I don't see much upside in him.  I'd rather see what PJ3 could do, as I think he's one of those flying under the radar type of players.  With all the good Porter could give you, I could see many nights where he's more frustrating.  I do not want to give up Olynyk and Turner up for a player that we just got handed to us the same kind of player in PJ3 for nothing.

And all this cap space might be overrated anyway...  I still think Danny will have to build it through the trades, not FA signings.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 12:02:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

And all this cap space might be overrated anyway...  I still think Danny will have to build it through the trades, not FA signings.

I agree with this part, which is why I proposed the trade.  The C's get no cap space out of this deal -- they in fact lose $2.8 million of it next season.  I think Porter's upside is higher than KO's, which is why I would do it.  Porter turned 22 last month.  Being 21 in the NBA on a team that is trying to compete is tough.  If he were consistent night in and night out, this idea would be idiotic from the Wizards perspective.  But I do think he offers us more than Jones in the both the short run and long run.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why are so many on this blog so sown on Olynyk? He is a 5 not a stretch 4 and posseses a skill set few if any 7 footers do. Stevens loves his style of play. The only knock I believe that Stevens and Ainge have about Olynyk is he is too reluctant to shoot the ball.

He is slow, his game ebbs and flows with his confidence level.   We all know know he is reluctant to shoot.  He is afraid of getting swatted with the T-rex arms and his low vertical.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Not familiar with Porter, but based on stats, upside and position, there is a sound logic to this trade.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree with this part, which is why I proposed the trade.  The C's get no cap space out of this deal -- they in fact lose $2.8 million of it next season.  I think Porter's upside is higher than KO's, which is why I would do it.  Porter turned 22 last month.  Being 21 in the NBA on a team that is trying to compete is tough.  If he were consistent night in and night out, this idea would be idiotic from the Wizards perspective.  But I do think he offers us more than Jones in the both the short run and long run.

Exactly - Porter may never pan out, but Ainge needs to start taking some chances and with so many 'good' young players, he actually has that luxury.

You look back at some of the names Ainge was targeting before they exploded - Curry, Cousins, etc, and you think, 'man, if he had just been willing to overpay back then, we would be ridiculous now.' The Warriors and Kings may never have been willing to part with those guys, but if we had any chance, it is unfortunate that we didn't give them whatever they wanted.

I like KO and Turner quite a bit and you could insert a number of other players in this deal to make it work (ie, Young and Sully or Rozier and Zeller) and I would still probably give it a shot.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Exactly - Porter may never pan out, but Ainge needs to start taking some chances and with so many 'good' young players, he actually has that luxury.

You look back at some of the names Ainge was targeting before they exploded - Curry, Cousins, etc, and you think, 'man, if he had just been willing to overpay back then, we would be ridiculous now.' The Warriors and Kings may never have been willing to part with those guys, but if we had any chance, it is unfortunate that we didn't give them whatever they wanted.

I like KO and Turner quite a bit and you could insert a number of other players in this deal to make it work (ie, Young and Sully or Rozier and Zeller) and I would still probably give it a shot.
that's how he ends up with Fab Melo. 

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'd really like this idea. Younger player, fills a position of need. I like it.