Author Topic: Trade Idea: Turner & Olynyk for Brandon Haywood and picks  (Read 14570 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Just finished reading this article about the Cavs current financials, and B Haywood's non-guaranteed contract needing to be opted out of by 8/1.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13309223/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-second-round-pick-rakeem-christmas-indiana-pacers-set-larger-deal

My idea is noted above: trade Evan Turner and Kelly Olynyk to the Cavs for Haywood's deal, and those 2019 2nd rounders mentioned. I believe Haywood is only guaranteed around $2mil, so opting out of his deal would actually open up additional cap room this year, while also doing two things:

1) Removing Olynyk from the books for the Summer of 2016
2) Allowing the Cs to sign Jonathan Holmes, who I think has a chance to be a better two way NBA player than KO.

For the Cavs, they add a very useful bench player in Turner, shooting and size from Olynyk on a rookie scale deal, and a trade exception for $5mil+ they can use in season if they need to (as they did last year to acquire Mozgov). They'd presumably walk away from JR Smith after such a trade.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Trade Idea: Turner & Olynyk for Brandon Haywood and picks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:49:17 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
This really does nothing for us. We don't need to clear Olynyk off the books, he's worth at least what he's making. Plus this helps the Cavs so I'm against it.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:50:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Just finished reading this article about the Cavs current financials, and B Haywood's non-guaranteed contract needing to be opted out of by 8/1.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13309223/cleveland-cavaliers-trade-second-round-pick-rakeem-christmas-indiana-pacers-set-larger-deal

My idea is noted above: trade Evan Turner and Kelly Olynyk to the Cavs for Haywood's deal, and those 2019 2nd rounders mentioned. I believe Haywood is only guaranteed around $2mil, so opting out of his deal would actually open up additional cap room this year, while also doing two things:

2) Allowing the Cs to sign Jonathan Holmes, who I think has a chance to be a better two way NBA player than KO.

For the Cavs, they add a very useful bench player in Turner, shooting and size from Olynyk on a rookie scale deal, and a trade exception for $5mil+ they can use in season if they need to (as they did last year to acquire Mozgov). They'd presumably walk away from JR Smith after such a trade.

What?!?

You want to trade two productive, borderline starting quality NBA players (both on extremely cheap deals, no less) for an expiring contract and a couple of second rounders?!?

My lord...that's lunacy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:14:41 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So the idea is... Let's trade two 1st round picks for two 2nd round picks and a couple million in cap space?  Because that's essentially the value being swapped.  *facepalm*

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

What?!?

You want to trade two productive, borderline starting quality NBA players (both on extremely cheap deals, no less) for an expiring contract and a couple of second rounders?!?

My lord...that's lunacy

Who cares about the second rounders.... they're filler. It's about moving forward with a better roster based on the constraints of the CBA.

Turner's not in Boston's long term plans. Olynyk is overrated due to his 'range'. He's too limited both offensively and (especially) defensively to be anything more that an 7th, 8th man on a legit team, if that. Sullinger and Mickey are better basketball players with differentiated skill sets, and KO's strengths can be easily replicated by Jerebko and Holmes.

As for this "first rounders for second rounders" notion, you're missing the point. Where Barry White Turner was picked at this point is totally moot. It's meaningless. The guy's been cast off by multiple teams, just like he will be by the Cs. Would you trade Turner for Isaiah Thomas? Sure you would -- that's 60th pick for 2nd pick, if you judge value based on where someone was selected years ago.

What are the best 15 assets we can put on this team for 2015, both for growth and trade? Personally, I believe Jones and Holmes have far greater upside on value over Turner and Olynyk -- neither of whom have any significant trade value now, nor are they likely to gain any.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:42:42 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This whole thread makes me glad that message board posters don't GM our Celtics!!   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:47:48 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
This really does nothing for us. We don't need to clear Olynyk off the books, he's worth at least what he's making. Plus this helps the Cavs so I'm against it.

He's not if he stands in the way of a better player making the team. That's the definition of counter productivity.

Let's face it. Jonas Jerebko is better at being Kelly Olynyk than Kelly Olynyk.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:32:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
to OP:
you do make a lot of sence in terms of last year productivity and stuff, but i believe that KO still has a lot of upside and we are to trade him, we should get more in return.
like i've said in many threads involving Sully and KO, they have time to prove themselfs to the ASW it's make it or break it for them. Both of thoose guys have potential to be borderline allstar players, but they are in their third and fourth year, so not a lot of time to show up for what they are worth.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:36:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

What?!?

My lord...that's lunacy

Who cares about the second rounders.... they're filler. It's about moving forward with a better roster based on the constraints of the CBA.

Turner's not in Boston's long term plans. Olynyk is overrated due to his 'range'. He's too limited both offensively and (especially) defensively to be anything more that an 7th, 8th man on a legit team, if that. Sullinger and Mickey are better basketball players with differentiated skill sets, and KO's strengths can be easily replicated by Jerebko and Holmes.

As for this "first rounders for second rounders" notion, you're missing the point. Where Barry White Turner was picked at this point is totally moot. It's meaningless. The guy's been cast off by multiple teams, just like he will be by the Cs. Would you trade Turner for Isaiah Thomas? Sure you would -- that's 60th pick for 2nd pick, if you judge value based on where someone was selected years ago.

What are the best 15 assets we can put on this team for 2015, both for growth and trade? Personally, I believe Jones and Holmes have far greater upside on value over Turner and Olynyk -- neither of whom have any significant trade value now, nor are they likely to gain any.

I stopped reading the moment you said Mickey is better than Olynyk.

Good lord.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:39:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
P.s.

Jerebko is nothing like Olynyk as an offensive player.  Or as a player, period.

He's over 6'9" abd can shoot threes - similarities end there.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 04:42:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

He's not if he stands in the way of a better player making the team. That's the definition of counter productivity.

Let's face it. Jonas Jerebko is better at being Kelly Olynyk than Kelly Olynyk.

There is no player on our roster who is under 26 years old, and better than Olynyk at his position.

Sully is on par...maybe.

Olynyk was BY FAR our top ranked RPM player last season, and he's also one of only 3 or 4 players on the roster who can legitimately stetch the floor.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:01:09 AM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Avery and turner

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
And the underappreciation of KO on this board continues.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 07:19:52 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

While I would never do this trade to begin with. I believe the Celtics already have 16 signed players and need to get rid of one, so a 2 for 1 still would not open a spot.