Author Topic: My first trip to Boston impressions  (Read 3973 times)

My first trip to Boston impressions
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Well we're heading back today after spending a few days in the Boston area.  I asked some folks on here some advice where to go in the city a few weeks ago.  We only spent about two and a half days but we saw/did a lot.  I'll just hit the bullet points where we were:

-Brockton
-north end harbor
-TD garden ;D
-walhburgers in hingham
-the commons park
-Harvard

If I could describe the people of Boston:  considerate and professional!  Some of the nicest people I've ever met in a big city but I'm just comparing to New York, philly, San antonio.  Still was totally differnt then what I expected.  The first night there I got a flat tire and some guy came right over and helped us change it.  Just a lot of courtesy that I just didn't expect.  I loved the sites, the culture, the history.  Just an overall wonderful experience for the short time we were there.  So thank you to those that live in Boston.  You guys should be very proud ;). We'll definately be back!

Re: My first trip to Boston impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Good to hear!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why Brockton?.....boxing fan?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Well we're heading back today after spending a few days in the Boston area.  I asked some folks on here some advice where to go in the city a few weeks ago.  We only spent about two and a half days but we saw/did a lot.  I'll just hit the bullet points where we were:

-Brockton
-north end harbor
-TD garden ;D
-walhburgers in hingham
-the commons park
-Harvard

If I could describe the people of Boston:  considerate and professional!  Some of the nicest people I've ever met in a big city but I'm just comparing to New York, philly, San antonio.  Still was totally differnt then what I expected.  The first night there I got a flat tire and some guy came right over and helped us change it.  Just a lot of courtesy that I just didn't expect.  I loved the sites, the culture, the history.  Just an overall wonderful experience for the short time we were there.  So thank you to those that live in Boston.  You guys should be very proud ;). We'll definately be back!

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.  I may be biased because I grew up in MA, but I love the Boston area.  History, proximity to great beaches (Cape Cod), proximity to the mountains (NH, VT, ME), and of course, the sports teams (Cs, Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins).  Other aspects that some may take for granted...great colleges and hospitals.  In 2004, my son was in Boston Childrens Hospital for a month (he's ok now) and I met people from all over the world who came to Boston to get the best care.  I have 3 kids (16, 16, 12) and we go into Boston a bunch of times every year.  I tell them that they are lucky to be near such a great city (even though the winters can SUCK).  My 16 yr old son is a sports fanatic and he really appreciates the sports scene here.  Each pro team has won a championship in his lifetime and we have been to a lot of championship duckboat parades. 

Off topic of Boston but related to travel....
Growing up, my favorite baseball player was Willie Stargell of the Pittsburgh Pirates so I have followed the Pirates ever since.   Now my son is also a Bucs fan so we are going to PNC Park in Pitt this weekend for a couple of games.  Hopefully we have a good trip like you had (minus the flat tire).   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

-Brockton
-north end harbor
-TD garden ;D
-walhburgers in hingham
-the commons park
-Harvard

Glad to hear that you had a good trip.  I may be biased because I grew up in MA, but I love the Boston area.  History, proximity to great beaches (Cape Cod), proximity to the mountains (NH, VT, ME), and of course, the sports teams (Cs, Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins).  Other aspects that some may take for granted...great colleges and hospitals.  In 2004, my son was in Boston Childrens Hospital for a month (he's ok now) and I met people from all over the world who came to Boston to get the best  care.  I have 3 kids (16, 16, 12) and we go into Boston a bunch of times every year.  I tell them that they are lucky to be near such a great city (even though the winters can SUCK).  My 16 yr old son is a sports fanatic and he really appreciates the sports scene here.  Each pro team has won a championship in his lifetime and we have been to a lot of championship duckboat parades. 

Off topic of Boston but related to travel....
Growing up, my favorite baseball player was Willie Stargell of the Pittsburgh Pirates so I have followed the Pirates ever since.   Now my son is also a Bucs fan so we are going to PNC Park in Pitt this weekend for a couple of games.  Hopefully we have a good trip like you had (minus the flat tire).

Willie is/was my cousin through marriage :).  I'm a bucs fan too although not much of a baseball fan.  I care if they're winning otherwise I dont lol.

Yea, definately need to get back to the beaches and some historic areas.  Some other highlites were seeing the Paul revere house and gettin a picture with the bill Russell statue. Brocton was the most convenient and affordable are at the comfort inn.  That place was great too.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Glad you had fun :). Did you see Fenway at all or Red's statue, and how was the traffic?  Just curious.  It's been a long time since I've been there.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:30:52 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
No offense to anyone who lives there, but Brockton... ?!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Love the history of Boston, hope you got to take in the freedom trail.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
who recommended you to go to Brocton? Not sure which place is worse, there or Dorchester...Fall River is pretty bad too :)

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
boston is on my bucket list...  :'(
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
Brocton was where the hotel was across from the mall.  So we slept there and went to the mall that was it.  Both places were nice.  Brocton is paradise compared to the dump hole known as Harrisburg, pa.  Didn't see Fenway or reds statue.  The traffic was hit and miss. Someone on here helped with times to be on the road so we kinda gauged it that way.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Boston is nails!   ;D

But I hate winter so I had to leave...not enough sunshine for me... 8)

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'm from Brockton.... It sucks

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Boston is nails!   ;D

But I hate winter so I had to leave...not enough sunshine for me... 8)

I do love Boston and much of New England.  But I also HATE winter.  Been here my whole life and have never liked it.  Unfortunately my wife is from upstate NY and she hates the heat.

In about 10 years when I semi-retire (the current plan), I'll try to get south for a few weeks in Jan/Feb. 

I hate the cold from about October 15 to April 15. I do no winter sports -- hate even going outside when it's cold.   Not good.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I had a great time in Boston. My first visit last year

It was still late fall......60 degrees ......then like two days later ...got cold and snowed .....got out just in the nick of time

Hope to make another game this year !

If your a Celtics fan......never been....make a point to get there.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
I had a great time in Boston. My first visit last year

It was still late fall......60 degrees ......then like two days later ...got cold and snowed .....got out just in the nick of time

Hope to make another game this year !

If your a Celtics fan......never been....make a point to get there.

That's the next goal.  Might just bite the bullet And fly up for a game. Hate flying though:(