Author Topic: (IDEA) Celtics – Jazz backcourt swap  (Read 3998 times)

Re: (IDEA) Celtics – Jazz backcourt swap
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward.

I think you're underestimating how beloved talented white players are in Utah.  They won't trade Hayward unless an MVP candidate is coming back the other way.

You're forgetting about the distinct possibility that we could send them KO and after a haircut they wouldn't know the difference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 03:43:23 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Exum stinks.  Why would we trade Smart+ for him?
Play Smart straight up on Exum, and you'd see the Australian kid get dominated the whole game.

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 04:37:24 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward. I'd like to think Bradley, KO, Young, Mickey, 2016 BKL first, multiple 2nds gets it done. 

Utah would be nicely set up going forward with the offense/defense combo in the backcourt of Exum/Bradley while opening up the swing positions for Burks and Hood.  Up front, KO fits in nicely alongside Gobert, and I could even see Mickey carving out a role as 4th big playing alongside Favors.
The Jazz are most likely done with collecting assets and are pretty much ready to push for the playoffs. I don’t think they would trade Hayward, who is their go-to guy. Burks on the other hand is coming off a season ending injury. Having said that, I don’t know whether Utah is willing to sell low on him, but I guess it’s worth a try.

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

we'd be giving up the 2 best players in the deal.  Exum could be good but as of right now he hasn't shown it.  Burks hasn't shown a lot either -- certainly not on AB's level.  The first from them is likely to be late lottery next year (if it's for next year) at best considering how well they did last year and that they figure to be better going into this coming season.  I think they have a shot to be chasing that 8th seed well into the later part of the season.
Smart had a better rookie season I give you that, but at the same time I feel that Exum has a higher ceiling. Right now Smart > Exum. No one knows if that's gonna be the case in a couple of years.

The way I see it, Burks (if healthy) is a better player than Bradley. Bradley is a shooting guard in a point guard’s body. He is not an elite defender because he is undersized and he can’t switch the screens, his ball handling is mediocre and his court vision is abysmal. Apart from all these, he can’t finish in the paint due to below average height/ average length so all he does on offence is settling for jumpers. I know that most of you guys love Bradley, but I really feel it’s about time we part ways with him. RJ Hunter looked terrific in the summer league and we also have Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Young and Turner who would all benefit from his departure by seeing increased playing time.

In what world is Bradley not an elite defender?

And, oh yes, the mystical power of "potential" on this blog, where it is worth twice as much as it is in the real world. Honestly, Exum hasn't shown me anything that suggests he has a higher ceiling than Smart right now. In fact, I think Smart's Fire and playing style gives him the edge in overall potential.
i'm sorry i just have to react on this one. AB D last year flat out sucked compared to what he used to play. he was abused by 2nd tier guys

and this whole trade idea is bad imho, stick to your horses. Smart has so much life and energy, combined with his strong body, work ethic, leadership skills, defense and court vision, equals so much potential to give up on after the rookie year.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Smoke another one brother!

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I would gleefully do Bradley, Turner, and Perry for Burks and Hood.

Doubt the Jazz would even entertain that offer, though.

Yeah, I'd like Hood, too.  Sigh.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:06:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward. I'd like to think Bradley, KO, Young, Mickey, 2016 BKL first, multiple 2nds gets it done. 

Utah would be nicely set up going forward with the offense/defense combo in the backcourt of Exum/Bradley while opening up the swing positions for Burks and Hood.  Up front, KO fits in nicely alongside Gobert, and I could even see Mickey carving out a role as 4th big playing alongside Favors.
The Jazz are most likely done with collecting assets and are pretty much ready to push for the playoffs. I don’t think they would trade Hayward, who is their go-to guy. Burks on the other hand is coming off a season ending injury. Having said that, I don’t know whether Utah is willing to sell low on him, but I guess it’s worth a try.

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

we'd be giving up the 2 best players in the deal.  Exum could be good but as of right now he hasn't shown it.  Burks hasn't shown a lot either -- certainly not on AB's level.  The first from them is likely to be late lottery next year (if it's for next year) at best considering how well they did last year and that they figure to be better going into this coming season.  I think they have a shot to be chasing that 8th seed well into the later part of the season.
Smart had a better rookie season I give you that, but at the same time I feel that Exum has a higher ceiling. Right now Smart > Exum. No one knows if that's gonna be the case in a couple of years.

The way I see it, Burks (if healthy) is a better player than Bradley. Bradley is a shooting guard in a point guard’s body. He is not an elite defender because he is undersized and he can’t switch the screens, his ball handling is mediocre and his court vision is abysmal. Apart from all these, he can’t finish in the paint due to below average height/ average length so all he does on offence is settling for jumpers. I know that most of you guys love Bradley, but I really feel it’s about time we part ways with him. RJ Hunter looked terrific in the summer league and we also have Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Young and Turner who would all benefit from his departure by seeing increased playing time.

And, oh yes, the mystical power of "potential" on this blog, where it is worth twice as much as it is in the real world. Honestly, Exum hasn't shown me anything that suggests he has a higher ceiling than Smart right now. In fact, I think Smart's Fire and playing style gives him the edge in overall potential.
i'm sorry i just have to react on this one. AB D last year flat out sucked compared to what he used to play. he was abused by 2nd tier guys

and this whole trade idea is bad imho, stick to your horses. Smart has so much life and energy, combined with his strong body, work ethic, leadership skills, defense and court vision, equals so much potential to give up on after the rookie year.

If I may interject here, and while I'm certainly not a fan of AB, I don't think his defense dropped so much as he was made a primary option on offense, thereby forcing him to expend energy on both ends, really for the first time, which was definitely uncharted territory for him.  If Smart was forced to be the man, or at least even a focal point, offensively, I think that the results would be very similar.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 10:24:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

If I may interject here, and while I'm certainly not a fan of AB, I don't think his defense dropped so much as he was made a primary option on offense, thereby forcing him to expend energy on both ends, really for the first time, which was definitely uncharted territory for him.  If Smart was forced to be the man, or at least even a focal point, offensively, I think that the results would be very similar.

Yep, TP. It's why Tony Allen has the defensive reputation/accolades that he has - he's basically never been more than a fourth or fifth option offensively.

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 11:47:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

What the...

How can Bradley not switch screens?  He can easily defend either PG or SG.  If you ask him to defend SF's then sure he'll struggle, but how many NBA players are elite defensively players AND can defend three positions? That's pretty rare.

Also how can you say that Bradley can't finish in the paint?  What on earth is that based on?  Bradley has shot 59.5% for his career on field goals inside 3 feet.  That's almost as high as Jared Sullinger (62.6%).

Also for a guy who is criticised for taking too many midrange jumpers, 23.4% of all Bradley's shot attempts for his career have come from came from inside 3 feet.  That's more than he's taken from 3-10 feet (6.8%) and 10-16 feet (5.7%) combined.

Burks is really nowhere near Bradley as a shooter (either from midrange or from three) and is an or as a defender (his -2.72 Defensive RPM ranked 7th worst at his position).

Major downgrade.

Also no way I trade Smart for Exum - wouldn't even dream of it.