Author Topic: (IDEA) Celtics – Jazz backcourt swap  (Read 4003 times)

(IDEA) Celtics – Jazz backcourt swap
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Would you trade Smart, Bradley and Perry Jones for Exum, Burks and possibly a (protected?) first? The Jazz were reportedly interested in Bradley. I know about Burks' shoulder injury, but Bradley faced pretty much the same concerns in the past and turned out to be just fine. After all there is a difference between a leg/knee injury and a shoulder injury. In my mind Exum has a higher ceiling than Smart and Burks is a better player than Bradley. We dump Perry Jones as well, so we cut the roster down to 15 players.

Of course there is no need to include Smart and Exum in the deal. It’s just that I value Exum higher than Smart, even though I realize that the latter had a better rookie season.

Re: (IDEA) Celtics – Jazz backcourt swap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would not. And I wouldnt trade Bradley for Burks either.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would gleefully do Bradley, Turner, and Perry for Burks and Hood.

Doubt the Jazz would even entertain that offer, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward. I'd like to think Bradley, KO, Young, Mickey, 2016 BKL first, multiple 2nds gets it done. 

Utah would be nicely set up going forward with the offense/defense combo in the backcourt of Exum/Bradley while opening up the swing positions for Burks and Hood.  Up front, KO fits in nicely alongside Gobert, and I could even see Mickey carving out a role as 4th big playing alongside Favors.   

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
looking at Utah's roster, they could actually use a 1 for many type trade to bolster their depth.
Raul Neto?  Jack Cooley?  Bryce Cotton?  yikes...  The guy we just sent to Australia could have made that team... 

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Would you trade Smart, Bradley and Perry Jones for Exum, Burks and possibly a (protected?) first? The Jazz were reportedly interested in Bradley. I know about Burks' shoulder injury, but Bradley faced pretty much the same concerns in the past and turned out to be just fine. After all there is a difference between a leg/knee injury and a shoulder injury. In my mind Exum has a higher ceiling than Smart and Burks is a better player than Bradley. We dump Perry Jones as well, so we cut the roster down to 15 players.

Of course there is no need to include Smart and Exum in the deal. It’s just that I value Exum higher than Smart, even though I realize that the latter had a better rookie season.

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

we'd be giving up the 2 best players in the deal.  Exum could be good but as of right now he hasn't shown it.  Burks hasn't shown a lot either -- certainly not on AB's level.  The first from them is likely to be late lottery next year (if it's for next year) at best considering how well they did last year and that they figure to be better going into this coming season.  I think they have a shot to be chasing that 8th seed well into the later part of the season.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I would not trade Smart for anything but a proven superstar.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Every Celtics player in that package is better than every comparable Jazz player. Why would we ever do this.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward. I'd like to think Bradley, KO, Young, Mickey, 2016 BKL first, multiple 2nds gets it done. 

Utah would be nicely set up going forward with the offense/defense combo in the backcourt of Exum/Bradley while opening up the swing positions for Burks and Hood.  Up front, KO fits in nicely alongside Gobert, and I could even see Mickey carving out a role as 4th big playing alongside Favors.
The Jazz are most likely done with collecting assets and are pretty much ready to push for the playoffs. I don’t think they would trade Hayward, who is their go-to guy. Burks on the other hand is coming off a season ending injury. Having said that, I don’t know whether Utah is willing to sell low on him, but I guess it’s worth a try.

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

we'd be giving up the 2 best players in the deal.  Exum could be good but as of right now he hasn't shown it.  Burks hasn't shown a lot either -- certainly not on AB's level.  The first from them is likely to be late lottery next year (if it's for next year) at best considering how well they did last year and that they figure to be better going into this coming season.  I think they have a shot to be chasing that 8th seed well into the later part of the season.
Smart had a better rookie season I give you that, but at the same time I feel that Exum has a higher ceiling. Right now Smart > Exum. No one knows if that's gonna be the case in a couple of years.

The way I see it, Burks (if healthy) is a better player than Bradley. Bradley is a shooting guard in a point guard’s body. He is not an elite defender because he is undersized and he can’t switch the screens, his ball handling is mediocre and his court vision is abysmal. Apart from all these, he can’t finish in the paint due to below average height/ average length so all he does on offence is settling for jumpers. I know that most of you guys love Bradley, but I really feel it’s about time we part ways with him. RJ Hunter looked terrific in the summer league and we also have Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Young and Turner who would all benefit from his departure by seeing increased playing time.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:46:06 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I wouldn't trade Smart for Exum, Burkes, and a 1st straight up.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Nope, I'll take Smart over Exum 8 days a week.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

The Jazz are most likely done with collecting assets and are pretty much ready to push for the playoffs. I don’t think they would trade Hayward, who is their go-to guy. Burks on the other hand is coming off a season ending injury. Having said that, I don’t know whether Utah is willing to sell low on him, but I guess it’s worth a try.

Smart > Exum
AB >> Burks
PJIII <= 1st

Smart had a better rookie season I give you that, but at the same time I feel that Exum has a higher ceiling. Right now Smart > Exum. No one knows if that's gonna be the case in a couple of years.

The way I see it, Burks (if healthy) is a better player than Bradley. Bradley is a shooting guard in a point guard’s body. He is not an elite defender because he is undersized and he can’t switch the screens, his ball handling is mediocre and his court vision is abysmal. Apart from all these, he can’t finish in the paint due to below average height/ average length so all he does on offence is settling for jumpers. I know that most of you guys love Bradley, but I really feel it’s about time we part ways with him. RJ Hunter looked terrific in the summer league and we also have Smart, Thomas, Rozier, Young and Turner who would all benefit from his departure by seeing increased playing time.

In what world is Bradley not an elite defender?

And, oh yes, the mystical power of "potential" on this blog, where it is worth twice as much as it is in the real world. Honestly, Exum hasn't shown me anything that suggests he has a higher ceiling than Smart right now. In fact, I think Smart's Fire and playing style gives him the edge in overall potential.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Hayward, Gobert, or  Favors are the only players I would be interested in from Utah.  Our guards are better.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward.

I think you're underestimating how beloved talented white players are in Utah.  They won't trade Hayward unless an MVP candidate is coming back the other way.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
The guy in Utah to target is Hayward.

I think you're underestimating how beloved talented white players are in Utah.  They won't trade Hayward unless an MVP candidate is coming back the other way.

Agree. Forget about Hayward.