Author Topic: Derozan Idea: Instead of Gallo, Consolidation, Raptors Salary Cap  (Read 3215 times)

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Raptors are looking at extending Valanciunas and Ross and they arent going to want to pay Derozan.  http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/07/10/toronto-raptors-rumors-extending-terrence-ross-could-mean-demar-derozans-departure/

We missed out on Gallo, but Derozan might fit our needs better. He isnt perfect, but he can score and we need that.  This also helps with our logjam of players.

Turner, Sullinger, Young, pick (s) for Derozan.

We get to keep Holmes and Jones and see if one of them can turn into something (similar to what happened with Crowder and Jerebko last year.

If Derozan opts out, we have tons of cap space with Jerebko, Johnson, and Lee all potentially being free agents. It's possible, like Gallo just did with Denver, that Derozan could be extended for a long term, reasonable deal.

If Toronto thinks Ross is their SG of the future and they just paid big bucks to Carrol at SF, I think they would be willing to deal.

For this year, it balances out our roster very well:

Smart  Thomas  Rozier
Derozan  Bradley  Hunter
Crowder  Jerebko  Jones
Lee   Olynyk  Holmes
Johnson  Zeller   Mickey

Gives us the ability to play small:

Thomas   Rozier
Smart   Bradley
Derozan  Hunter
Crowder   Lee  Jerebko
Johnson  Olynyk   Mickey
Bench: Zeller, Jones, Holmes

Re: Derozan Idea: Instead of Gallo, Consolidation, Raptors Salary Cap
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
While I don't hate this, I don't like giving up Young for a guy we are gonna let walk or most likely sign and trade at the end of the year. I don't see the C's keeping and building around DeRozan unless he had a breakthrough season under Stevens. If the picks were non-lottery picks/2nd rounders it would be fine.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think it's too much for DeRozan. I don't mind including Young in a deal as that should open a spot on the Red Claws for someone else.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
While I don't hate this, I don't like giving up Young for a guy we are gonna let walk or most likely sign and trade at the end of the year. I don't see the C's keeping and building around DeRozan unless he had a breakthrough season under Stevens. If the picks were non-lottery picks/2nd rounders it would be fine.

Do due to the roster crunch and the not unrealistic possibility Young can't make the final 15 cuts, plus our potential 6 picks in the top 40 next year (meaning more potential roster crunch down the line) and I can move on from Young.  I wouldn't give more then second round picks to go along with it, if any at all, but then again this was the same package I proposed for Gallo last week, so that's probably part of it. This trade would also let us look at Jonathan Holmes for a season.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I was thinking about making a similar post. Except my idea was Bradley, Turner, Olynyk for Derozan. Bradley & Turner need to go in order to get Hunter more minutes. Keep Young or trade him in a future deal

Depth Chart:

Smart/IT4/Rozier
Derozan/Hunter
Crowder/Young/Mickey
Lee/Sully/Jerebko
Johnson/Zeller

PJlll wouldn't get any minutes. I still want us to sign Jonathan Holmes but it doesn't seem likely

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd be all over the deal proposed by the OP. 

I was pondering the other day that Toronto may not really want to take Bradley back because they just spent big on Cory Joseph to play essentially the same role. 

That said, I do think we'd have to add a first to make it palatable for Toronto to give up the best player in the deal.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would go as far as Sully, Turner, and a protected pick but I'm drawing the line there.  Another player I would look at is Tyreke Evans but the Pelicans don't really need a big.  Maybe you could work a 3 team trade.  He wouldn't be the shooter I ideally want but an upgrade over Turner.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:34:15 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Do due to the roster crunch and the not unrealistic possibility Young can't make the final 15 cuts, plus our potential 6 picks in the top 40 next year (meaning more potential roster crunch down the line) and I can move on from Young.  I wouldn't give more then second round picks to go along with it, if any at all, but then again this was the same package I proposed for Gallo last week, so that's probably part of it. This trade would also let us look at Jonathan Holmes for a season.

I'd do it, I'm just saying I wouldn't do Young and a ton of 1st for him.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I had posted the same idea for Gallo last week as well.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=79825.msg1932104#msg1932104

Young is just another gamble, just like most mid to late first round picks are. Im not that worried about losing him. If you keep him, and cut Perry Jones, no big deal.

The upgrade from Turner to Derozan is a big deal. Sullinger is the price, but he is going to cost a ton in free agency and he doesnt really fit the style of the team.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I would just wait until next years free agent class.  Like Amir, you could land him if you really want him.  Plus you don't have to give up anything for him.

Ainge could call on him just like he did with Amir.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Do you think Derozan improves our team? Shouldn't be the opposite?
I don't see him sacrifice himself for the sake of the team.
He might do his iso plays and throughout the season damage our team play and chemistry.
I don't think it's as simple as to just add a good scorer. We must see the big picture. What is he offering on offense and defense and what does that mean for the team production?

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
I can understand ppl not following the raptors as a team hence not knowing much about their players. But surely ppl should at least try to read info from Raptors boards to gain abit of insight on their players.

Derozan is in his mid 20s, locked into a decent contract (10 mill pa)and is a borderline allstar. Meanwhile Terrence Ross and J-Val suck. As in SUCK big time. They are both young though but have actually regressed in the recent yrs. JVal gets benched in crunch time, still gets lost defensiviely and really hasnt progressed on offense. TRoss outside of his fluke 50+ points game 2 yrs ago hasnt even shown he can be an above average 3 and D player. Defense is still below average along with his shooting.He has never had handles or playmoking ability either. He really doesnt have any remotely elite NBA skill

The notion that they would trade their best player just so they have space to extend 2 below average players is comical to say the least.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I can understand ppl not following the raptors as a team hence not knowing much about their players. But surely ppl should at least try to read info from Raptors boards to gain abit of insight on their players.

Derozan is in his mid 20s, locked into a decent contract (10 mill pa)and is a borderline allstar. Meanwhile Terrence Ross and J-Val suck. As in SUCK big time. They are both young though but have actually regressed in the recent yrs. JVal gets benched in crunch time, still gets lost defensiviely and really hasnt progressed on offense. TRoss outside of his fluke 50+ points game 2 yrs ago hasnt even shown he can be an above average 3 and D player. Defense is still below average along with his shooting.He has never had handles or playmoking ability either. He really doesnt have any remotely elite NBA skill

The notion that they would trade their best player just so they have space to extend 2 below average players is comical to say the least.

More like they don't want to pay him 25 million dollars especially if it leads them nowhere.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can't shoot the three, ill fit for CBS's system.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 03:39:21 AM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

More like they don't want to pay him 25 million dollars especially if it leads them nowhere.

Then they would be going ahead to tank/rebuild which is perfectly reasonable. OP is suggestting they would trade him so that they can have space of TRoss and JVal. Thats just beyond comprehension.

Listen they could trade Demar tomorrow but it certainly wont be because they need money to extend to players that clearly suck