Poll

Did we address are weakness's.

Yes. Amir and Lee plus the draft picks answers are problems.
7 (10.8%)
No. We needed star talent and he wiffed.
12 (18.5%)
He did the best that he could considering his options.
46 (70.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Poll: Did Ainge address the team's weakness.  (Read 6386 times)

Re: Poll: Did Ainge address the team's weakness.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
did what he could

overall team talent is better going into this year than the roster at the end of last year.   thing is, the team has no 'stud' player that can put the team on their back and carry them to a win.  The improvements may not be enough to get this team back to the playoffs considering most of the other teams in the East improved as well

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
You don't want to tank now. Ainge got the second best player in the draft to this point in Smart at number 6. Only Wiggins looks better.
 This year time will tell but we did well, multiple picks next few years. We are on great shape.

Yes I do and C's could of had Smart, Young, Winslow and Simmons to build on. This year will be another wasted one in the rebuild. IT and Turner will never let Smart be the man.

Way to live in the future!

... and also not let the past go at the same time.

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think he did the most with the hand he was dealt. We didn't get any fireworks, but Ainge made the team better. My biggest takeaways from this offseason are that it takes two to make a splash, and we're in good hands with Danny.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Did what he could within the scope of his own desires is accurate.

He could have done but choose not to. Meaning Ainge avoided guys like Greg Monroe because he didn't want to give out long term deals to borderline stars. Instead favouring to keep cap space in lieu of getting a major star - which was not on the cards. So did what he could with a caveat.

Since I would have liked to have seen Ainge make a run at Greg Monroe (and/or other young stars) and he choose not to, I am going to go with "no" instead of "did what he could".

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Did what he could within the scope of his own desires is accurate.

He could have done but choose not to. Meaning Ainge avoided guys like Greg Monroe because he didn't want to give out long term deals to borderline stars. Instead favouring to keep cap space in lieu of getting a major star - which was not on the cards. So did what he could with a caveat.

Since I would have liked to have seen Ainge make a run at Greg Monroe (and/or other young stars) and he choose not to, I am going to go with "no" instead of "did what he could".

I did vote that "he did what he could", but agree at the same time with Greg Monroe which I mentioned in my previous post.

So, within the scope of his own desires is a good take of the situation indeed.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
In a word, no, but I also think it's fair to point out that this team has many more weaknesses than it does strengths.

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think you have to wait until you see first hand.  On paper, Amir and Lee provide major help in areas the Celtics were weak in last year.  So that looks darn good.

Then come the rookies.  How will they help and will they see the floor ?  Who knows at this point.  Mickey looks like he could get a shot early on, with Rozier mopping up after Smart, IT4, and Bradley.  Depends on who or who doesn't get moved.

Still awhile to go in this offseason.

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
It was a productive offseason overall and Ainge might not be done constructing the roster just yet.

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
We still need a DEF C . I would sign Justin Hamilton UFA MInn 7' 255lb. Bu to Dieng. I would also try to sign Holmes. We seem to be aiming at 2016-17 . All these over 28 year old players will be moved.
 I would see where Minn is b4 season. I dont think they will be able to move Pekovic at 12m/yr.They have Towns . Possible we could deal for Diem. I would be looking at IT,Smart,Rozier PG  Hunter,Turner SG  Crowder,Jerebko SF  Holmes, Johnson,Kelly F  Sully ,Mickey PF and Zeller,Hamilton ,Diem C.
Bradley,Young Jones( Traded )And see what all our picks get us in 2016. Lee ,Johnson (traded b4 2017) We would be very interesting after this year. See which players can cut it this year and decide who we go forward with.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Looks like Phoenix is grabbing Hamilton. Still think our target should be Dieng.

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2015, 12:41:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
We needed Shooting, a Defensive presence that was  at least 6'8", veteran leadership.

Amir and Mickey are nice additions, Hunter can shoot it and we did need another penetrater.
 Although unorthodox I think he did the job overall.

Exactly.

He filled the biggest needs we had that were actually ABLE to be filled.

Sure we wanted a superstar too, but so did the Lakers, the Knicks, etc.  When looking for a player of that caliber all you can do is put yourself in a good position (with assets / cap space) and hope they bite.  He did exactly that, and the free agents signed with other teams.  Nothing you can do about that.

But at the end of the day the realistic goals that he had presented all got filled.  Even better, they all got filled with good and/or short term deals that don't hurt our future flexibility, and put us back in the hunt again next year...and the year after...and the year after.

Danny is in a nice spot.  Next year if we get the chance to sign a big name player, Danny can clear huge amounts of cap space and make it happen.  If we don't get that chance, then Danny can pick up options on guys like Johnson, full a couple of holes, and then put out another solid and competitive team.

It's a nice postiion to be in.

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
For Greece.

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:19 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
He did the best he could I think but he did not get a rim protector or a crunch time scorer.  He failed.

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 10:23:54 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
He did the best he could I think but he did not get a rim protector or a crunch time scorer.  He failed.

How can you possibly use both those sentences in one post? How did he fail?? PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME. WHAT other possible ways could he have finished the offseason? WHAT WOULD YOU OF DONE?

You still must be stuck in 07'
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:38:36 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I thought team needed a defender/rebounder 6'10 or taller. Better shooting from SF spot.

I myself wish the team was tanking instead of bringing AJ and Lee.

I agree with you about our needs. But i have these things  to say

1. Tanking and drafting is a pure crab-shoot.   
2. Nobody signs to tanking teams  (see philly)
3. I have no clue why people think every single player on the team needs to be young for a proper rebuild. (sure David Lee is old but its not like we making him our focal point.. He'd be a great 3rd or 4th option..
4. I think we have more then enough youth at this point. Only way we getting better now is through "trades" (Which we have all the assets draft pick etc. to be a perfect partner), talent development" and "extremely lucky mid pick drafting".

That goes for every mid-low market team now.  big market teams are starting to getting put into that category as well. EVERYONE is after rings now. Damian Lillard might be the only faithful one at this point!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:15:05 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »