Author Topic: Article: Celtics could pursue Jimmy Butler  (Read 5407 times)

Article: Celtics could pursue Jimmy Butler
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »

Offline ChiCeltics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Rich Levine has an article suggesting that Jimmy Butler could become available. 

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/celtics-quick-fix-might-be-running-bulls

I think it's a pipe dream and don't see why the Bulls would give up a top young talent and go into rebuilding mode when they were probably the second best team in the East last year.

Still, assuming next season doesn't go well for the Bulls and they decide to rebuild (Butler can't be traded till July anyway), what do people think of this:

Celtics get:  Jimmy Butler

Bulls get:  Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, James Young, Jae Crowder and 2 first round picks.

Why the Celtics do it:  They get the top talent in the trade, fill a few needs (young superstar talent and 2 way player at the 3) and, assuming Smart develops, now are 1 piece away from being a special team.

Why the Bulls do it:  They likely wouldn't unless circumstances forced them to rebuild (like Gasol gets injured and Rose continues not to be healthy).  At that point, maybe they go into rebuild mode and get a bunch of young interesting pieces and picks.

Celtics Rotation:

PG:  Smart, Turner, Rozier

SG:  IT, Hunter

SF:  Butler, Jerbeko, Jones

PF:  Johnson, KO

C:  Lee, Zeller, Mickey

Re: Article: Celtics could pursue Jimmy Butler
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I think it's a pipe dream and don't see why the Bulls would give up a top young talent and go into rebuilding mode when they were probably the second best team in the East last year.

Still, assuming next season doesn't go well for the Bulls and they decide to rebuild (Butler can't be traded till July anyway), what do people think of this:

Bulls get:  Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, James Young, Jae Crowder and 2 first round picks.

Why the Celtics do it:  They get the top talent in the trade, fill a few needs (young superstar talent and 2 way player at the 3) and, assuming Smart develops, now are 1 piece away from being a special team.

Why the Bulls do it:  They likely wouldn't unless circumstances forced them to rebuild (like Gasol gets injured and Rose continues not to be healthy).  At that point, maybe they go into rebuild mode and get a bunch of young interesting pieces and picks.

Celtics Rotation:

You're right its a pipe dream, and that offer isn't anywhere near close to what the Bulls would consider for Butler.

At best we would have to include Zeller, IT, and Mickey with maybe 1 extra first round pick on top of that. Also if Butler requested a trade to the Celtics, Crowder should be the only person on our team that Butler would require to be on the team since their very good and close friends, (I heard best?)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think what struck me as faulty in the proposal was that if there was any player in Chicago that they'd want to rebuild around, it'd be Butler.  I would think the rest of the roster would be fair game with the thinking either Chicago would load up on young talent and/or picks to try to build around Butler while unloading the higher-paid/injury-riddled vets they have.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Absolutely terrible article.  Guy should be ashamed for putting something like this out there. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If you are saying Butler cannot be traded until July of 2016 then why would we even talk about it now. And by July of next year isn't Sully a restricted free agent. It would need to be a sign and trade, etc. Too far out at this time with a whole season ahead to even think about.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Yeah if Chicago decides to re-build the last person they are giving up is Butler.

I'm also sure Chicago is going to give their squad atleast one more year before they do anything drastic with their team.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:16:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's a hack article.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think what struck me as faulty in the proposal was that if there was any player in Chicago that they'd want to rebuild around, it'd be Butler.  I would think the rest of the roster would be fair game with the thinking either Chicago would load up on young talent and/or picks to try to build around Butler while unloading the higher-paid/injury-riddled vets they have.

Yup, the only reason they would ever have to trade Butler would be if Rose's knees are suddenly perfectly healthy, he returns to pre-ACL tear form, AND the rumors of him and Butler not getting along are actually UNDERSTATING the true situation.

In other words, it's never gonna happen.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »

Offline ChiCeltics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Sorry.  I meant January -- not July.  I agree with all the comments that this is never going to happen.  Still, since we likely will be in a holding pattern for awhile, it's better speculating than doing nothing.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Absolutely terrible article.  Guy should be ashamed for putting something like this out there.

Yeah, Levine really embarrassing himself here.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He does know that he's already re-signed, right? ;) ;D Every time I see him on TV he sounds like he's just returned from an audition from dude, where's my car.  He's like the sports version of Spicoli from fast times at ridgemount high.  Btw, what an epic panel of nba 'reporters' at csnne ::) ;D. Man, Sherrod, the mob boss (sarcasm), Jimmy Toscano, Dude, Sweet, and Smart Brother.  WOW :o.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:37:19 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The thing is, if Chicago is really going to go into full bore rebuilding Jimmy Butler is the player on the team that would give them the most return and it isn't close.  He is the one guy that virtually every team in the league would want AND provide good value for, which would only increase the return for Chicago.  If Rose, Gasol, Noah, and Gibson are healthy they would draw interest and would provide a solid return (to varying degrees obviously), but Butler could yield them an A+ return.  He is also locked up long term at max money, which isn't necessarily what a rebuilding team would want in an All Star, but not a Super Star (he would be the guy that could get you 5 to 10 wins a year, but not the 15 to 20 you would need to be a real solid team). 

I think the article is silly since he just signed a max contract, but the premise of trading Butler isn't nearly as far fetched as you make it seem. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Celtics Rotation:

You're right its a pipe dream, and that offer isn't anywhere near close to what the Bulls would consider for Butler.

At best we would have to include Zeller, IT, and Mickey with maybe 1 extra first round pick on top of that. Also if Butler requested a trade to the Celtics, Crowder should be the only person on our team that Butler would require to be on the team since their very good and close friends, (I heard best?)

That would make sense, they played together at Marquette.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Lot of venom toward a late-July article on here. I think it makes good points:

- Everyone is penciling Chicago in as an eastern conference favorite.
- Rose and Butler didn't play well together.
- Jimmy considered Boston and would like to be the man.
- Noah and Gasol never played well together, both are old.
- Hoiberg is unproven.

Lots could happen with this Bulls team. Is this really that badly written of an article? What was anyone hoping for in reading this?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.