Author Topic: any current news on sully and weight  (Read 73542 times)

Re: any current news on sully and weight
« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He appears to weight less.  Still I'm skeptical about his commitment

Weighting less may not translate in running the court , fast break energy for more than a few minutes .

Conditioning ,  running , jogging ,  he needs soooooooooooo bad .   The weight will stay off if he leads a professionals lifestyle aimed at endurance .

I'm forced to go,to,gym to remain healthy and presentable ...LOL ,   And I pay for the privilege to go..... ;D

Man for million a year ....to,stay in shape .....I d look like Tarzan ...LOL  ;D

« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The man can play. Step off your high cynical horses.
I bet you he's in better shape than 90% of the posters on this thread.

Thing is, NBA players should be in better shape than 99.9% of people in this thread.

As for the Barkley comp, that's silly.

I'd be thrilled if Jared could turn into an approximation of late 00's David West or Carlos Boozer.

More recently, my hope is that he doesn't turn into another Sean May.

Who is the 0.1%?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
He can be like Barkley. If he gets the heart and drive. I think he has a breakout year myself.

Expectations might be just a tad too high there ace. I don't think anyone sees Sully coming close to being an all-timer. Also Barkley was a much better athlete in his heyday than Sully is or ever will be.

Not to mention the irony of "heart and drive" with Sir Charles. Barkley's issue throughout his career was that he didn't have enough heart and drive. Sure he aimed high but he hardly ever worked for it. His career could have been 10 to 15% percent better if he kept himself in shape every year. If you don't remember, Scottie Pippen took a shot at Barkley after he left the Rockets for the Blazers for Barkley's lack of dedication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ugxfIYANA

Back to the matter at hand, I'm still optimistic about Sully but as other posters have said, I think he's ideally a complimentary player than a future star in the David West/Luis Scola realm, and that's if he develops a work ethic.

« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The man can play. Step off your high cynical horses.
I bet you he's in better shape than 90% of the posters on this thread.

Thing is, NBA players should be in better shape than 99.9% of people in this thread.

As for the Barkley comp, that's silly.

I'd be thrilled if Jared could turn into an approximation of late 00's David West or Carlos Boozer.

More recently, my hope is that he doesn't turn into another Sean May.
You are right Barkley comparison is silly ""I really don't eat that much," said the 6-foot-4½ Round Mound of Rebound, whose playing weight fluctuated between 250 and 280 pounds in college. "I just, more or less, tend to eat all the time." -- Charles Barkley
Sully does not brag about how much he eats like Charles. Excuse me for my ignorance. But I think my point is corrected now.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
People can question his dedication to his conditioning, but the kid has consistently displayed his dedication to play the game of basketball.

He sacrificed a year in the NBA as a potential lottery pick to stay at Ohio State
He attempted to play in the summer league before his Sophmore NBA season, but he "could not suit up for the summer Celtics during recovery from back surgery, but traveled to Florida anyway and served as a de facto assistant coach."
He attempted to play in the summer league in his Junior NBA season, instead "the Celtics and Sullinger decided he would practice with the other young players and journeymen on the summer league roster."
He rehabilitated a serious foot injury quicker than expected to rejoin the team in the same season

Once he understands that his dedication to basketball has to include conditioning, he will do just that (a place he might have already arrived at this off-season).

« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I keep forgetting, but someone post a video from his first summer league, and it quickly becomes apparent how fat and out of shape he became after he was drafted.
 There were weight concerns when he was drafted, and to see how much bigger and out of shape he became is mind blowing.
 It's harder and harder to see him getting big money from us.

« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2015, 04:52:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Sullinger has been about 13 pts, about 8 rebs the last two seasons (in 27 minutes) and that was clearly playing at less than ideal cardiovascular conditioning as well as body weight/fat.  He doesn't have to have a major physical improvement to be a very good PF.  Just a little improvement (say 10% better due to physical condition) and a few more minutes a game (say 18% improvement due to 32 min vs. 27 min) and he could put up 17 pts and 10 rebs.  Now that is not Charles Barkley good but he would be in the conversation for an all star.

That is all I am looking for/expecting out of him and I think it is very achievable and sustainable.  As his game improve due to maturity and just becoming more of a veteran, he could easily have a run of seasons where he is 20/10 with good efficiency every year.

« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Sullinger has been about 13 pts, about 8 rebs the last two seasons (in 27 minutes) and that was clearly playing at less than ideal cardiovascular conditioning as well as body weight/fat.  He doesn't have to have a major physical improvement to be a very good PF.  Just a little improvement (say 10% better due to physical condition) and a few more minutes a game (say 18% improvement due to 32 min vs. 27 min) and he could put up 17 pts and 10 rebs.  Now that is not Charles Barkley good but he would be in the conversation for an all star.

That is all I am looking for/expecting out of him and I think it is very achievable and sustainable.  As his game improve due to maturity and just becoming more of a veteran, he could easily have a run of seasons where he is 20/10 with good efficiency every year.
This is where the David Lee acquisition becomes a bit confusing. The two players are so similar. Both lack the quickness to play D at a high level, neither can protect the rim at all and both are really good rebounder with high bbiqs that allow them to pass the ball pretty well and both score pretty well inside. Both are motivated, both have proven to be able to rebound and score at ~20 and 10 per 36 I think if you have 1 of them he could easily be on the floor for close to 36 minutes and I could see either putting up 18 and 10 or something close.

however with both of them its hard to play them too many minutes especially with Kelly Zeller Amir and Jerebko all deserving of minutes.

I guess this is where its nice that arguably our greatest strength lies in the coaching and FO. They will be able to figure out the jam weather through trades or clever minute management.

The issue is that with either guy getting huge minutes they could become really nice trade pieces but with both I dont see either becoming particularly valuable.

I expect Sully to be great this year. He has always been really good in spurts and now he is motivated and hopefully will stay healthy. The problem is I dont see the minutes for him.

Maybe he comes in and plays really well, but DLees presence makes his really good per 36 pace seem less impressive if hes only getting 20 minutes a game but playing terrifically it could allow us to keep him at a lower price and then let Lee walk.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This is where the David Lee acquisition becomes a bit confusing. The two players are so similar. Both lack the quickness to play D at a high level, neither can protect the rim at all and both are really good rebounder with high bbiqs that allow them to pass the ball pretty well and both score pretty well inside. Both are motivated, both have proven to be able to rebound and score at ~20 and 10 per 36 I think if you have 1 of them he could easily be on the floor for close to 36 minutes and I could see either putting up 18 and 10 or something close.

however with both of them its hard to play them too many minutes especially with Kelly Zeller Amir and Jerebko all deserving of minutes.

I guess this is where its nice that arguably our greatest strength lies in the coaching and FO. They will be able to figure out the jam weather through trades or clever minute management.

The issue is that with either guy getting huge minutes they could become really nice trade pieces but with both I dont see either becoming particularly valuable.

I expect Sully to be great this year. He has always been really good in spurts and now he is motivated and hopefully will stay healthy. The problem is I dont see the minutes for him.

Maybe he comes in and plays really well, but DLees presence makes his really good per 36 pace seem less impressive if hes only getting 20 minutes a game but playing terrifically it could allow us to keep him at a lower price and then let Lee walk.

There's NOTHING about the David Lee acquisition that is confusing. He was traded for Gerald Wallace, so there's nothing confusing about that. This was first and foremost about acquiring a more valuable asset.

Overthinking "fit" for our roster is pointless.

« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
He can be like Barkley. If he gets the heart and drive. I think he has a breakout year myself.

Top meme!

« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I think the days of David Lee putting up 20/10 and playing 32 minutes are long gone in the past.  I see him as a valuable contributor off the bench (at best) playing more like 16 minutes and putting up an efficient (hopefully) 10/6.  That is not what you expect for $15.4M but it is much better than what Wallace gave us for $10.1M and may be good enough for a contender to trade us something for him at some point in the season.

Sullinger may not be able to get his minutes up to 32 per game this season anyway due to injuries, foul trouble, etc but I think he will be trending in that direction.

« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We will soon find out folks.  I think regardless which side of fence you come down on, we all wants the C's do well.

« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
https://youtu.be/Ynzl0LDsYHc

Look at the difference here.

« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
https://youtu.be/Ynzl0LDsYHc

Look at the difference here.

I touched up on this a little while back. Sully looked trimmer his rookie year and as a result was much more active on the court. If he goes back to what he was his rookie year he'll be a great complimentary piece going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL35CpTd08I