Author Topic: any current news on sully and weight  (Read 73499 times)

Re: any current news on sully and weight
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Maybe he can take Jared's place for Subway .   :)

« Reply #256 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
But how will he do without John Lucas there breathing over him all day?
This is a good point. Not just that but how will he do in Boston in the winter?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2015, 05:04:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
ha!

« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Too soon.  I'm gonna go vomit.

« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
But how will he do without John Lucas there breathing over him all day?
This is a good point. Not just that but how will he do in Boston in the winter?

Munch down on "hot pockets and beer". ...... Watch TV

« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Too soon.  I'm gonna go vomit.
Not good to use vomiting to lose weight.  Much better to eat Subway.

« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:41 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
What are with Celtics players and trying to look like Simon Phoenix?

« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The man can play. Step off your high cynical horses.
I bet you he's in better shape than 90% of the posters on this thread.

I am 5'11" and about 260 pounds, so in my case you are 100% right.

However, am I a professional athlete?  No, I am not.  I am an IT professional - I sit on a chair all day and wiggle a mouse around.

Does my ability to perform as a professional (and earn my pay-cheque) depend on me being in prime physical condition?  No, it most certainly does not. 

Much like Sully's career doesn't depend on him being able to understand server infrastructure or being able to troubleshoot networking faults.

It seems to be a very common rhetorical question / statement that gets presented by the Sully supporters out there, in an attempt to suggest that Sully isn't deserve of the criticism, or that the criticism is not fair.

To people who believe this, may I please point out that this is a professional criticism, not a personal criticism.  We aren't suggesting that is any lesser a man / human person because of his conditioning and/or weight issues.  We are suggesting that he is lesser a player because of it.

It's hard to argue that this isn't the case when you're watching him and constantly seeing things like:

1) Him lazily walking up the court on defense in transition situations, rather than running
2) Him lazily watching the ball roll past during loose ball situations, rather than running for it
3) Him failing to run out to the perimeter quickly enough to challenge an opponent's jumper
4) Watching opposing offensive players drive past him like he's standing still

When you see him come into the game fresh, and play hard - then after 3 minutes on the court he starts showing all of the above tenancies, then I think it's pretty fair to assume that the drop off in his game (as minutes go on) has a lot to do with his questionable conditioning.

I think it is then (based on that) fair to say that his questionable conditioning is starting to have an impact his effectiveness on the court - and that's a problem.

So now we're seeing all of these images of 'slimmer Sully'.  That's great. 

However:
1) How many times in the past has he claimed that he's working hard on his conditioning?
2) How many times have we believed him, only to be made fools?
3) Why is it that it has taken until now (contract year) for him to take it seriously?
4) Why should we believe he'll maintain this over the season, and through the next contact?

These are all legitimate concerns, and very fair reasons for people to be hesitant to put faith in the guy. 

If you were my boss, and you had been pushing me for two years to work on my IT certifications, and I kept saying I would do it but never did, then why would you trust me?  If my contract when expired and was coming up for renewal in 6 months, and suddenly I actually started working on my training, would you then have the faith to offer me another 3 year contract renewal?

You need to remember basketball is a business.  Sully is an employee, Brad Stevens is his direct manager, and Danny Ainge is the GM of the business.  He's been told by his manager to do XYZ necessary development tasks, and he has ignored it.  The general manager of the company himself has then told him he needs to achieve XYZ, and he promised he would.  Then after a year, again nothing.   How many business do you know of in which that type of attitude would stand?

People completely forget that these guys get paid MILLIONS of dollars to play basketball - it is a professional career, not hobby on the side.  Nobody forced Sully to play professional basketball - nobody put a gun to his head.  He chose this career.  If you choose to enter into a career that is highly dependent on physical conditioning, then you had better be prepared (and willing) to put in effort to keep your back-side in shape.  If you aren't willing to do that then you should expect to receive criticism and you should expect to fall behind.

Just like I need to constantly put in the time/training to keep myself up to speed on the latest technologies in order to excel in my career as an IT professional (and yes, sometimes I need to sacrifice personal time to achieve this), a guy like sully needs to put in the time/training to keep his body running at his physical peak - even if that means sacrificing some aspects of his personal lifestyle.

If I (and every other successful professional out there) is willing to do it for a salary not even 1/10th of what Sully gets, then so too should be more than happy to do so given the stupid amounts of money a guy in his 'role' earns.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:03:17 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2015, 11:58:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I would wager people here never played sports on a living.  He does, so it is a different beast.   People jobs do not depend on being in pro shape.   Sully's did, and does, and all prior years he has mailed it in on the conditioning.   It will be interesting to see how he does, I have seen video from just a month ago, and he was still very slow.

You can polish a turd, but it will still be a turd.   Sully has things he does well, shooting threes is not one of them but rebounding is something he does well.   Defense is something that he does not do well, he is a smart passer for a big.   His shooting is midling from FG% when compared to his peers and even worse from three point land.  He will never be a top flight athlete, in fact , he is a subpar athlete.  But I agree, he has some definite skills but definite flaws.  Sometimes the skills win and sometimes the flaws win out.

I would love for him to prove me wrong.  But whether folks are cynical, realistic or optimistic, has nothing to do with the outcome.   This is all on Sully, either he does it or he will not.  Jon Lucas won't be able to hold his hand once games start.

« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
What is the rule on hand-holding after tip-off? I don't see why Brad couldn't hold his hand, even in an extended handshake to mask the purpose..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:47:07 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I would wager people here never played sports on a living.  He does, so it is a different beast.   People jobs do not depend on being in pro shape.   Sully's did, and does, and all prior years he has mailed it in on the conditioning.   It will be interesting to see how he does, I have seen video from just a month ago, and he was still very slow.

You can polish a turd, but it will still be a turd.   Sully has things he does well, shooting threes is not one of them but rebounding is something he does well.   Defense is something that he does not do well, he is a smart passer for a big.   His shooting is midling from FG% when compared to his peers and even worse from three point land.  He will never be a top flight athlete, in fact , he is a subpar athlete.  But I agree, he has some definite skills but definite flaws.  Sometimes the skills win and sometimes the flaws win out.

I would love for him to prove me wrong.  But whether folks are cynical, realistic or optimistic, has nothing to do with the outcome.   This is all on Sully, either he does it or he will not.  Jon Lucas won't be able to hold his hand once games start.
He can be like Barkley. If he gets the heart and drive. I think he has a breakout year myself.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2015, 12:10:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ok now that comparison is legitimately bonkers. Like, I get the idea (Barkley had trouble staying in shape) but as a 23 year old third year NBA player the Round Mount was playing 40 minutes per game averaging 23-15 on 60% shooting on a 45 win team.

I, uh, don't expect to see the same numbers from Jared.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

He can be like Barkley. If he gets the heart and drive. I think he has a breakout year myself.

I hope he has a monster few months here, so we can trade him for sometthing. I'd feel much better if he'd managed to at least get in great shape during this long offseason--or, in "better" shape, as it appears, without having to have John Lucas on his case every day.

« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2015, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Thing is, NBA players should be in better shape than 99.9% of people in this thread.

As for the Barkley comp, that's silly.

I'd be thrilled if Jared could turn into an approximation of late 00's David West or Carlos Boozer.

More recently, my hope is that he doesn't turn into another Sean May.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:40:09 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain