Author Topic: any current news on sully and weight  (Read 73662 times)

Re: any current news on sully and weight
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

https://twitter.com/brown_coach/status/624944828044849152

He's got a lot of incentive to get it right this year, and I think he will. I expect a big year from him--and for Danny to trade him at the deadline.
Looking at the shape of his head in those photos, it seems pretty clear to me that the photo either wasn't taken in a natural aspect ratio, or has been compressed/photoshopped.

Sullinger's head is not that narrow, nor is it that long.   

Yup, it appears to me these photos have all been doctored from Sullingers camp to appease Celtic fans about his weight.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

https://twitter.com/brown_coach/status/624944828044849152

He's got a lot of incentive to get it right this year, and I think he will. I expect a big year from him--and for Danny to trade him at the deadline.
Looking at the shape of his head in those photos, it seems pretty clear to me that the photo either wasn't taken in a natural aspect ratio, or has been compressed/photoshopped.

Sullinger's head is not that narrow, nor is it that long.   

Yup, it appears to me these photos have all been doctored from Sullingers camp to appease Celtic fans about his weight.

hahahaha, thanks for laugh.
i needed it today...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 05:25:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 06:52:55 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He has the weight of the world on his shoulders

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Unlike, Atlas the weight on him was self inflicted.

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
His butt alone should make him a rebounding monster and difficult guard in the post.

Imagine if he goes for 20 and 10 (per 36) this year? May not be probable, but definitely possible.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
His butt alone should make him a rebounding monster and difficult guard in the post.

Imagine if he goes for 20 and 10 (per 36) this year? May not be probable, but definitely possible.
he will allways be able to rebound, but my biggest fear is that he continues to play above the 3pt line like he did last year, and shooting in the low 30's.
and to reflect on some of the pictures and video in this thread, pretty much looks the same, but as many stated, let's wait till the preseason games.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

I agree, with makaveli, he will always be able to rebound.   He has great anticipation and great soft hands.  If he does 20 ppg and shots low 40% that is still not good for a PF.   It means will take quite a few inefficient shots to make that total.

His shooting or rather his shot selection is suspect.   The writing is on the wall, he is not a Kevin Love type with range, I think he would be better served in the post ala Horford.    This too, would increase his rebounding, I suspect.   His shooting needs to improve everywhere.   44% from a PF from 2 point range is not solid.   He shot a lot better in the post season and if he can shoot at that level, and it was less outside more inside, off rebounds, he shot .55% in that series.   If he could do more of this I think it would help the team.   Making 3/5 of his shots  from the field is better than less than 1/3 of his shots from down town.   He shot them a little less in the post season and I think it helped him.  When you shoot poorly, your not keeping a defense honest, your just helping them.

His defense will always be poor in terms of staying in front of his man, he is slow of foot and lacks burst speed to recover.   He does ok in positional defense, because of his bulk.  Ainge got a couple of guys who we can pair with him to make it more palatable.   The same is true of Olynyk.   

But do we really want to build around guys who are flawed in one way and require a specific kind of defender to back them up?    I think not, presently their gifts do not outweigh their flaws and that is the only reason you pick a guy like this to play.

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:05 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I literally don't believe it's possible for Sullinger to average 20-10 because he can't play that many minutes without tiring or getting injured.

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I hope he improves his stock by the trade deadline and fools someone into thinking he's better than he is. He and Turner are interchangeably 1st/2nd to go...

But to be fair, someone is giving him the green light to gun, correct? Maybe he's not being utilized to his strengths.I'm sure any question of CBS will be read here as blasphemy, but whatever... I question why he's taking so many 3s.

His per-36 last season was 17/10. The season before? 17/10. Again, it is definitely possible he puts up a 20/10 season this year (per-36).

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2015, 10:53:16 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

he will allways be able to rebound, but my biggest fear is that he continues to play above the 3pt line like he did last year, and shooting in the low 30's.
and to reflect on some of the pictures and video in this thread, pretty much looks the same, but as many stated, let's wait till the preseason games.
I think he has the touch to hit a high percentage from three. Just needs to be in better shape. He also has a nice handle for a guy his size, so him having the ball on the perimeter is not a bad thing.

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hope he improves his stock by the trade deadline and fools someone into thinking he's better than he is. He and Turner are interchangeably 1st/2nd to go...

But to be fair, someone is giving him the green light to gun, correct? Maybe he's not being utilized to his strengths.I'm sure any question of CBS will be read here as blasphemy, but whatever... I question why he's taking so many 3s.

His per-36 last season was 17/10. The season before? 17/10. Again, it is definitely possible he puts up a 20/10 season this year (per-36).

Before returning from injury, he was at about 18/10 per 36 if I recall correctly, shooting it about 45% from the field. Not the jump I wanted, but an improvement all the same over the previous year... so returning early from his injury changed the narration from "improved, but still injury prone" to "no progression and still injury prone". When we're talking about a 22 year old kid, I think that small distinction matters a bit.

As for the 3s, I have no problem with it. If we were a contending team, and he was doing this during crucial moments in the playoffs then yeah, I'd think twice about this, but not in the current shape of this team. I'm a strong believer that it's a shot he can truly develop, and until it becomes an actual problem in the big scheme of things, I'll still support him extending his range.

And yes, I think [in fact I know] Stevens gives him the green light, and is part of the offensive scheme. Now green light doesn't mean that he should shoot the 3 whenever possible. There's a difference between me wanting to see him shooting 3s, and shot selection and I have a bit of a problem with his shot selection, similar with Marcus Smart. On that regard, we'll see.

As for shooting from inside the arc, he's actually a good/decent mid-range shooter... better than Olynyk in that range if you can believe it. If I recall correctly, don't have time to go check where I have that data, from the top of the key he shoots it at 50% and 47% from the right elbow area. So the idea that he can't spread the floor is inaccurate.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:21:17 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Before returning from injury, he was at about 18/10 per 36 if I recall correctly, shooting it about 45% from the field. Not the jump I wanted, but an improvement all the same over the previous year... so returning early from his injury changed the narration from "improved, but still injury prone" to "no progression and still injury prone". When we're talking about a 22 year old kid, I think that small distinction matters a bit.

As for the 3s, I have no problem with it. If we were a contending team, and he was doing this during crucial moments in the playoffs then yeah, I'd think twice about this, but not in the current shape of this team. I'm a strong believer that it's a shot he can truly develop, and until it becomes an actual problem in the big scheme of things, I'll still support him extending his range.

And yes, I think [in fact I know] Stevens gives him the green light, and is part of the offensive scheme. Now green light doesn't mean that he should shoot the 3 whenever possible. There's a difference between me wanting to see him shooting 3s, and shot selection and I have a bit of a problem with his shot selection, similar with Marcus Smart. On that regard, we'll see.

As for shooting from inside the arc, he's actually a good/decent mid-range shooter... better than Olynyk in that range if you can believe it. If I recall correctly, don't have time to go check where I have that data, from the top of the key he shoots it at 50% and 47% from the right elbow area. So the idea that he can't spread the floor is inaccurate.

Sounds like we're on the same page.

I haven't come across a break down of shooting splits per range/location, but from what little I have seen they look to be generally pretty comparable spot-up shooters (probably each with their "spots"). I recall more of Sully's shots being along the baseline or wing, which is preferable, right? Shorter distance, and hoists from the key make me wonder if he's dogging it down the court (speculation, but I can see it).

I can see why he is hoisting 3s in this system, but I think it can be done with a little more "flexibility within fidelity." Although his 28% may statistically be considered a "plus" for the team, a lot of factors aren't being taken into consideration there (e.g., best offensive rebounder 20+ ft from basket, make it difficult for him to jockey for position / dislocate an arm in order to get back on D, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:44:11 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

Using PER 36 for a player like Sully is downright foolish.  He didn't have the stamina to play hard the 27 MPG he played last year.

I bet other teams have no problem with him taking it either as it is good for them.   It is a good shot for tanking at .28%.  Sometimes his ball does not even have proper rotation and looks like it is thrown up there.  At this point, we know what we have in the kid.

This is a great article on him shooting the three, from a year ago. 

On the year, Sullinger is actually shooting a terrific 37.5 percent (21-of-56) from three out of the pick-and-pop.

Sullinger's problems seem to occur when he's in isolation (0-for-8), comes off a screen (3-for-11), shoots in transition (1-for-9), or is simply spotting up (19-for-88).

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24504512/should-jared-sullinger-keep-shooting-threes

He shot the same percentage almost last year only like .01% more, wasn't it .269% to .283% at that rate he might be ok at it in five or six years.  He should only be shooting them on pick and pops.   Ainge and CBS need to make it so, it will raise his efficency, his value and improve his game.   This would help Jared, and it will help us.  Both parties win.

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Using PER 36 for a player like Sully is downright foolish.  He didn't have the stamina to play hard the 27 MPG he played last year.

I don't see it as foolish at all, actually. First, it's not as foolish as extrapolating per-36 stats for a guy playing 10 mpg. Second, how many minutes are you expecting him to log this year? With the rotation as is (or similar), he could well be playing 27 mpg or less... in which case you have a fine baseline to compare to.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:02:34 PM by tarheelsxxiii »